Farragut William Blount fight

KnoxBball1969

In my opinion, the coaching staffs are responsible for making sure players do not leave the bench area.  It is interesting that I have not seen much on here or twitter that give them any blame here.  Yes it was not much of a "fight", but the rules were followed with the correct penalties enforced.  The staffs are at fault for not controlling the bench, period.  If they had, then only a handful of players on the floor would have been disqualified and the game would have been completed on Tuesday with most likely Farragut advancing (only down probably #12, #3, and #4).

26 minutes ago, KnoxBball1969 said:

I was told by people there that the coaches stopped them near mid court. Either way a rule is a rule. It might have cost the Suns a NBA title when Amari Stoudemire stepped onto the floor when Steve Nash was pushed in the scores table against the Spurs. This rule has been around and every coach I know preaches it. 

Rules are rules, that is correct (Friday night punches/helmet slaps fall under the same rules of fighting).   Also, why is 4 from FHS suspended?  

Edited by JohnnyUtah

All of these people saying "rules are rules"  is simply idiotic.    This  situation with (no punches thrown and no real fight taking place) is exactly why you never have a one size fits all set of policies or rules.   It's the same with these idiotic "zero tolerance" policies that moron liberals just love to put into place in schools and workplaces.    It's lazy and it takes out the responsibility to look at each situation and it's circumstances individually and make proper judicious decisions accordingly.  

Edited by FHS_Admiral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FHS_Admiral said:

All of these people saying "rules are rules"  is simply idiotic.    This  situation with (no punches thrown and no real fight taking place) is exactly why you never have a one size fits all set of policies or rules.   It's the same with these idiotic "zero tolerance" policies that moron liberals just love to put into place in schools and workplaces.    It's lazy and it takes out the responsibility to look at each situation and it's circumstances individually and make proper judicious decisions accordingly.  

Question for you then, do you feel like the rule should just read there are no rules we will look at every situation as it comes up?  There are guidelines put into place for a reason so teams know what they can do and what they cannot do.  If the rule is any player who steps onto the court without being subbed in by the official gets DQ it's not a grey area.  It also in the Rules that says even if a player doesn't engage in a fight or a gloried pushing match is what i would call this then they get an automatic DQ too.  It's not like this rule has changed this year and has been around for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Question for you then, do you feel like the rule should just read there are no rules we will look at every situation as it comes up?  There are guidelines put into place for a reason so teams know what they can do and what they cannot do.  If the rule is any player who steps onto the court without being subbed in by the official gets DQ it's not a grey area.  It also in the Rules that says even if a player doesn't engage in a fight or a gloried pushing match is what i would call this then they get an automatic DQ too.  It's not like this rule has changed this year and has been around for a while.

Totally agree Swipes. Many are saying no punches thrown. You can’t yell fire in a theatre when there is no fire either.

2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

In my opinion, the coaching staffs are responsible for making sure players do not leave the bench area.  It is interesting that I have not seen much on here or twitter that give them any blame here.  Yes it was not much of a "fight", but the rules were followed with the correct penalties enforced.  The staffs are at fault for not controlling the bench, period.  If they had, then only a handful of players on the floor would have been disqualified and the game would have been completed on Tuesday with most likely Farragut advancing (only down probably #12, #3, and #4).

then you don't follow me.  I fully hold my coach and our players that came off the bench accountable.

@ScottCupp11

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I 100% stand by this statement you made.  The rule has been in place for years.   I bet most people complaining about this rule would have no issue with it, if the rule was applied to any other team.   As bad as it sucks, coaches and players are aware of this rule.  People can complain all they want to, but it clearly states not only in the TSSAA handbook, but also in the NFHS rulebook as well.   This rule would and should be applied to games in November just as much as in March.

• Like 1

What a 72 hour period.  I could write a Chapter in a book regarding this situation.  I have been on the phone with TSSAA for way too many hours.  I have learned a lot as well.  My coaches and players have learned a lot.  One thing is for sure...moving forward I will strongly encourage my coaches to not just tell kids not to leave the bench area but to practice it.  It's easy to just tell folks that but it needs to be repeated over and over with a code word.  Just make sure the assistants use that word and everyone knows to stay put.  Because if you don't practice the situation lots of times emotions take over.

Now as far as the players on the floor.  I strongly advocated that all players on the floor with the exception of WB 20, FHS 12, and FHS 3 be reinstated.  WB #0, #5, and #11 simply tried to help their own teammate and get them out of the fray...just like FHS MVP #4 did.  I was told by Bernard that they do not want any players trying to help.  They want them out of the way so the officials and administrators can do their job.  I see their point....but that is really hard for kids to do in the moment. 

As far as playing the remainder of the game tonight....that is the right thing to do.  Play until the clock reads 0;00.  Then shake hands and move on.  And someone asked what does Farragut stand to gain?  Well they can at least end their season on the floor and get an additional win tonight (barring a miracle), and get a substate berth which is  big for Farragut.  It doesn't happen all the time in basketball.

The bottom line.....both schools have had a great season.  Both schools have quality kids.  The game got physical and this was the result.  It is not a good result for anyone but it happened.  Folks  will serve their time and I will do my best to make sure that we do better if this happens again.  Because the one thing that could have been easily avoided was leaving the bench.  And we did not do that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FHS_Admiral said:

so... zero tolerance poicies are conservative.  That's why TN has one. You should hear yourself.  Asking for flexibility with discipline is a liberal view. No zero-tolerance laws in California for example. Alabama has one and Texas does too.  You should think a bit more before you start slinging BS.

Also the rule about leaving the bench has been around for ages and everyone know it.

Edited by ILB1999WHS

54 minutes ago, etcoach said:

What a 72 hour period.  I could write a Chapter in a book regarding this situation.  I have been on the phone with TSSAA for way too many hours.  I have learned a lot as well.  My coaches and players have learned a lot.  One thing is for sure...moving forward I will strongly encourage my coaches to not just tell kids not to leave the bench area but to practice it.  It's easy to just tell folks that but it needs to be repeated over and over with a code word.  Just make sure the assistants use that word and everyone knows to stay put.  Because if you don't practice the situation lots of times emotions take over.

Now as far as the players on the floor.  I strongly advocated that all players on the floor with the exception of WB 20, FHS 12, and FHS 3 be reinstated.  WB #0, #5, and #11 simply tried to help their own teammate and get them out of the fray...just like FHS MVP #4 did.  I was told by Bernard that they do not want any players trying to help.  They want them out of the way so the officials and administrators can do their job.  I see their point....but that is really hard for kids to do in the moment. 

As far as playing the remainder of the game tonight....that is the right thing to do.  Play until the clock reads 0;00.  Then shake hands and move on.  And someone asked what does Farragut stand to gain?  Well they can at least end their season on the floor and get an additional win tonight (barring a miracle), and get a substate berth which is  big for Farragut.  It doesn't happen all the time in basketball.

The bottom line.....both schools have had a great season.  Both schools have quality kids.  The game got physical and this was the result.  It is not a good result for anyone but it happened.  Folks  will serve their time and I will do my best to make sure that we do better if this happens again.  Because the one thing that could have been easily avoided was leaving the bench.  And we did not do that.

I applaud you for your sportsmanship Mr. Cupp.  Well done sir.

That being said, what was the final verdict?  Will it be WB with a 3-on-2 advantage for this final 1:38 or 3-on-3?  Also, with the respect you have displayed for Farragut, does this indicate that the Govs are going to let Farragut dribble out the clock and move on, or are they going to try to make up this deficit especially if you have a 3-on-2 advantage?

Once again, I applaud you for what you have done in this situation.  It takes a heck of a man not to look the other way in this and that should be applauded.  I will sit back and anxiously await to see who our (Dobyns-Bennett) opponent will be on Monday and hope the visitor has safe travels to Kingsport and look forward to a good contest on Monday night.

18 minutes ago, TribalEmpire said:

I applaud you for your sportsmanship Mr. Cupp.  Well done sir.

That being said, what was the final verdict?  Will it be WB with a 3-on-2 advantage for this final 1:38 or 3-on-3?  Also, with the respect you have displayed for Farragut, does this indicate that the Govs are going to let Farragut dribble out the clock and move on, or are they going to try to make up this deficit especially if you have a 3-on-2 advantage?

Once again, I applaud you for what you have done in this situation.  It takes a heck of a man not to look the other way in this and that should be applauded.  I will sit back and anxiously await to see who our (Dobyns-Bennett) opponent will be on Monday and hope the visitor has safe travels to Kingsport and look forward to a good contest on Monday night.

I’m hearing 3 on 3, but I’m not official. 
Great post! The pictures say thousands of words on what happened. The WB AD has fought to try to right this wrong for a lot of kids. The Fairgut AD may have as well. It’s good to have such men looking out for interests of the kids. Well done!!

• Like 1