Rebels improve

rebeldevil

On 7/11/2022 at 12:32 PM, camppack said:

Should be a very interesting season in Blount County with lots of questions to be answered. Can Osovet and Reeves start to turn around their programs? Will there be any drop off at Alcoa with Rankin gone?  Which Shad will turn up at Eagleton, the one that won state championships or the one that flopped at WB? What will be the impact of all the shuffling between schools that's happened with assistant coaches?  How will Eagleton affect the surrounding schools? How will the transfer QBs at a couple of schools do?  

I was talking to a coach in Alcoa’s region, and he assured me that if there is a drop off at Alcoa it won’t be this season. He said that on paper, this is probably the best team they have ever had. 

5 hours ago, chs1984 said:

I was talking to a coach in Alcoa’s region, and he assured me that if there is a drop off at Alcoa it won’t be this season. He said that on paper, this is probably the best team they have ever had. 

They sure looked good in the spring against Powell. Alcoa should be one of your best two or three high school teams in the state in the public system this year. 

10 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

They sure looked good in the spring against Powell. Alcoa should be one of your best two or three high school teams in the state in the public system this year. 

Alcoa will find out if they are the real deal July 21st with a pre-season trip to DII A3 Champs McCallie. My concern ....Depth,with roster still hovering around upper 60's to low 70's.

10 minutes ago, OrangePylon said:

Maryville 

It's exactly who you think it is. I don't like it one bit either. I enjoy getting kids that move in here from out of state but not next door. That gives our program a black eye and another one the county folks can say we stole from them. I seen enough interceptions against Anderson County 7 on 7 to do me a lifetime.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

It's exactly who you think it is. I don't like it one bit either. I enjoy getting kids that move in here from out of state but not next door. That gives our program a black eye and another one the county folks can say we stole from them. I seen enough interceptions against Anderson County 7 on 7 to do me a lifetime.

If that's the case it will be interesting to see if Maryville has a passing attack this year or if they have to rely heavily on the run game. Pretty much every year they've been able to run the ball and throw it on offense and have a good balance. This year I think they might have to get Vaughn 30-40 touches a game, especially against Powell, Alcoa, and Science Hill.

Edited by OrangePylon

9 hours ago, OrangePylon said:

If that's the case it will be interesting to see if Maryville has a passing attack this year or if they have to rely heavily on the run game. Pretty much every year they've been able to run the ball and throw it on offense and have a good balance. This year I think they might have to get Vaughn 30-40 touches a game, especially against Powell, Alcoa, and Science Hill.

Maryville might have to run more in a few games possibly but you'll never see them in a situation where their running someone 30-40 times a game when your second running back could start on 90% of the schools in East Tennessee. It is what it is and hopefully Derek can help this kid reach his potential and undo the damages that came from run for your life type of football he came from. Another thing I mentioned in a post before about nearby transfers has nothing to do with the kids but the parents. Not all but a handful were no doubt the village idiot were ever they came from and made sure their presents were know to all when attending a home game. The sad thing is when we finally get rid of one here comes another.

13 hours ago, OrangePylon said:

I haven't seen QB1 play and I haven't watched any practices.  However, this morning on 99.1, Jessie Smithy said he expected QB1 to have a very good season under Coach Hunt and thought QB1 might be a breakout player.  Time will tell, of course.