2023-2024 Four-Class Proposal Presentation

CoachT

I really like the idea. I think we also need to copy our football model.

Region 6-3A

South Side

North Side

South Gibson

McNairy

Hardin County

Lexington 

Chester County

Bolivar

Travel here isn't much of a issue. Mostly everyone in this region is in close proximity to one another. Let's get with the modern times. 

Also make the tourney like FOOTBALL. Top 4 in each region meet the neighboring region. And whittle it down to the final 4 at the state tournament. 

Edited by dmm88

1 hour ago, dmm88 said:

I really like the idea. I think we also need to copy our football model.

Region 6-3A

South Side

North Side

South Gibson

McNairy

Hardin County

Lexington 

Chester County

Bolivar

Travel here isn't much of a issue. Mostly everyone in this region is in close proximity to one another. Let's get with the modern times. 

Also make the tourney like FOOTBALL. Top 4 in each region meet the neighboring region. And whittle it down to the final 4 at the state tournament. 

No way this works with only 4 basketball classes. We would have to have 6 classes in order for this to work.

The TSSAA is overthinking this new proposal.  Tennessee "DOES NOT" have the population base to have more than three (3) classifications for football, basketball, softball and baseball. Do people in the State of Tennessee understand that in the football crazy State of Texas the city of Houston has over 7 million people which is larger than the State of Tennessee?  All districts should have between 6 & 9 teams which would make for great rivalries.   This would account for less travel and fewer out of district scheduling problems along with lowering the financial burden of schools. The top two (2) teams from each district advance to play for a region championship and everyone else goes home.  The top teams in football are already having major problems when they search for out of district opponents.  For individual sports like golf, track & field, cross country, wrestling, etc... there should only be one state champion.  

5 hours ago, cbg said:

The TSSAA is overthinking this new proposal.  Tennessee "DOES NOT" have the population base to have more than three (3) classifications for football, basketball, softball and baseball. Do people in the State of Tennessee understand that in the football crazy State of Texas the city of Houston has over 7 million people which is larger than the State of Tennessee?  All districts should have between 6 & 9 teams which would make for great rivalries.   This would account for less travel and fewer out of district scheduling problems along with lowering the financial burden of schools. The top two (2) teams from each district advance to play for a region championship and everyone else goes home.  The top teams in football are already having major problems when they search for out of district opponents.  For individual sports like golf, track & field, cross country, wrestling, etc... there should only be one state champion.  

Great post!!! Somebody that actually gets it. The only winners in this program is the TSSAA when they count their money at state. Scheduling problems, travel problems, 3 teams in District problems…etc..They know these problems.. Barely over 6 teams in Districts with 3 classes and 110 teams. Lucky to get 5 in the 83 school four classes format. A few AD’s wanted their kids to have a chance at state and here we are. I am a basketball guy and love to watch more games but some things just don’t work out well. 

3 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Great post!!! Somebody that actually gets it. The only winners in this program is the TSSAA when they count their money at state. Scheduling problems, travel problems, 3 teams in District problems…etc..They know these problems.. Barely over 6 teams in Districts with 3 classes and 110 teams. Lucky to get 5 in the 83 school four classes format. A few AD’s wanted their kids to have a chance at state and here we are. I am a basketball guy and love to watch more games but some things just don’t work out well. 

This is a hard discussion to have on message boards because most people view the classification system through the lens of what benefits their school the most.  Gibson County would benefit from going back to three classes - they would get away from Westview. Lawrence County is better off with a four class system because they no longer have Murfreesboro teams in their region. You make some good points as to why the three class system was better but it’s possible to make equally valid points about the benefit of four classes.

5 minutes ago, maddams said:

This is a hard discussion to have on message boards because most people view the classification system through the lens of what benefits their school the most.  Gibson County would benefit from going back to three classes - they would get away from Westview. Lawrence County is better off with a four class system because they no longer have Murfreesboro teams in their region. You make some good points as to why the three class system was better but it’s possible to make equally valid points about the benefit of four classes.

Absolutely!!  I know that Adamsville, Scotts Hill, and Riverside love the 4 classification system.  We were in old three classification with teams that had 500-600 more students than us.  It was a breathe of fresh air to be with schools that have the same enrollments as us.  Gibson County, Westview, Union City, and Huntingdon is a tough district, with Dyersburg probably being added after the numbers come in.  Plus, their substate is Loretto or Summertown.  Very good girl's teams!!!!

1 hour ago, maddams said:

Everyone has their opinion and that is fine. Naturally I am going to take up for my school, especially when you got Shelby County who has got catered too who could care less about girls basketball. Gibson County will play whoever, whenever and always has and has done a ton for girls basketball in Tennessee being a hub for girls basketball and sharing their facilities. I think the average fan wants four classes because they love basketball and want to see more of the game they love. Lots of fans would vote for six classes regardless of the consequences. I just don’t like how it has reduced Districts and forced teams to travel all over the state to make it work. I personally can’t believe the proposal they just proposed to really throw AA and AAA under the bus to increase the sizes of Districts. It must have caught a lot of flack over the weekend. No true team that goal is to win a Gold Ball would like that proposal. Single A and Four A probably didn’t like it because they were eliminating 4 teams from State, but dropping down to 55 or so teams a class really increases the odds to win Gold Balls. We will see how it unfolds and line up and play.

So keeping it the same... Why? And, going to be in the same spot in two years.

1A Impact:  This works out great for 1A schools. They only have 1 district with 4 teams and all the rest of the districts have at least 5.

2A Impact: Pretty good for 2A as well. They currently have only 2 districts with 4 teams and the rest have 5 or more

3A Impact: Going to be tough for 3A: They already had 5 Districts with only 4 teams and this is not going to get better. The Western part of the state is going to be a mess figuring out who to put where to just get the districts to 4 teams. Potential for 3 team district.

4A Impact: about the same as 2A. They had 3 districts with 4 teams. 

23 hours ago, cbg said:

The TSSAA is overthinking this new proposal.  Tennessee "DOES NOT" have the population base to have more than three (3) classifications for football, basketball, softball and baseball. Do people in the State of Tennessee understand that in the football crazy State of Texas the city of Houston has over 7 million people which is larger than the State of Tennessee?

The population of the state isn't really what matters. Pennsylvania is either fourth or fifth largest, and it has six classes for both basketball and football; Florida, of similar size, has eight. Alabama is smaller than Tennessee, and it has seven. (For what it's worth, Texas has six in basketball and 12 in football, plus private-school associations that correspond to our Division II.)

1 hour ago, silverpie said:

The population of the state isn't really what matters. Pennsylvania is either fourth or fifth largest, and it has six classes for both basketball and football; Florida, of similar size, has eight. Alabama is smaller than Tennessee, and it has seven. (For what it's worth, Texas has six in basketball and 12 in football, plus private-school associations that correspond to our Division II.)

Everyone gets a trophy?  He's correct, as a 30 year coaching veteran in the state of Tennessee, we are too small for all these classes.  4 and 5 team districts, a class 3A in DII made up of 12 schools come on.

9 minutes ago, QSouth89 said:

Everyone gets a trophy?  He's correct, as a 30 year coaching veteran in the state of Tennessee, we are too small for all these classes.  4 and 5 team districts, a class 3A in DII made up of 12 schools come on.

9 minutes ago, QSouth89 said:

Find out what the address is for all the members of the Board of Control, and we can mail them their championship trophy.  The BOC has known for over one year that reclassification would be on the agenda at this meeting, and they kicked the can down the road once again.  The BOC is nothing more than a group of political bureaucrats that are not going to do what is best for the organization but what is best for them personally.  The photo of Mark Reeves was all too telling as he appeared to be in shock dealing with those fools.

• Like 1