Oak Ridge vs. Bearden

boyfromsi

16 minutes ago, Bluegreymom said:

I wasn't there and don't know the specifics so this may not even apply.  From my own experience seeing similar situations though, this usually happens when what the player said is a little more than a basic, garden variety cuss word. Ive seen this happen in particular  when the words in question  are directed at a specific  person (often the refs themselves) OR when the ref has already warned the athlete about it.  Sounds like he was frustrated for understandable reason but the players know they have to have self control in their reactions. Case in point, my nephew once got hit very late on a play. No flag. He had some choice words for the kid that hit him and almost drew a flag on himself.  Would it have been fair? No, but its part of football. Sometimes you have to go back to your sideline and can't always just say anything you want. Its part of self discipline needed for the game. I get that it sucks.  Maybe it was total BS. I'm not saying it wasn't. Just that each player is responsible for their actions, reactions and words. I do hate seeing any player ejected over a two second lapse in judgement and absolutely think throwing that second unsportsmanlike should be used very sparingly.  It could easily have been my kid in that situation plenty of times.  

Thank you for your input.  Yes, our players have definitely got to keep their emotions in check.  However, during the conversation during the appeal process included the supervisor of that official's association saying that his guy did not handle the situation properly, which is totally unusual because those guys stick together, thick as thieves.  I will leave it at that and move on.  

Edited by oridgecat

26 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Thank you for your input.  Yes, our players have definitely got to keep their emotions in check.  However, during the conversation during the appeal process included the supervisor of that official's association saying that his guy did not handle the situation properly, which is totally unusual because those guys stick together, thick as thieves.  I will leave it at that and move on.  

Not disputing but would like to know where this first-hand knowledge came from.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

If I told you where it came from I wouldn't be privy to it anymore. lol.  Sorry dawg.  

LOL, I understand! I would like to add a couple of words. I'm a 66 year "old fart" as of last Friday. I was a pretty good athlete in my day (HTV and I played baseball in college together and I later at UGA). My dad always told me "you play the game with you ability, not your mouth".  I know today's culture is different. But if you could get kids to step back and look at the big picture, they'd realize no amount of mouth running is worth having to sit out of the next game. If anything was said, ANYTHING, it was to much. The kid has all the ability to go as far as he wants, any level. And now is the time to realize it!  

Dang, didn't mean to sound like I was preaching!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

LOL, I understand! I would like to add a couple of words. I'm a 66 year "old fart" as of last Friday. I was a pretty good athlete in my day (HTV and I played baseball in college together and I later at UGA). My dad always told me "you play the game with you ability, not your mouth".  I know today's culture is different. But if you could get kids to step back and look at the big picture, they'd realize no amount of mouth running is worth having to sit out of the next game. If anything was said, ANYTHING, it was to much. The kid has all the ability to go as far as he wants, any level. And now is the time to realize it!  

Dang, didn't mean to sound like I was preaching!

And get off my lawn! ha ha.  I think what we saw Fri. night with all the mouthing was part of the whole culture at OR that Cummings has to change.  He may not have realized that these guys were going to be so emotional, reactive selfish really, because you're hurting your team when you do that.  It goes back to accountability and building that standard, not to mention an overall team lack of football IQ. The good part is his team competes extremely hard with alot of emotion, just have to learn to keep it in check.  I can assure you that the running of the mouth will stop.  Heck, our guys don't even know the SD guys, wait until they are out on the field with Clinton!  

Edited by oridgecat

3 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

And get off my lawn! ha ha.  I think what we saw Fri. night with all the mouthing was part of the whole culture at OR that Cummings has to change.  He may not have realized that these guys were going to be so emotional, reactive selfish really, because you're hurting your team when you do that.  It goes back to accountability and building that standard, not to mention an overall team lack of football IQ. The good part is his team competes hard and I can assure you that the running of the mouth will stop.  Heck, our guys don't even know the SD guys, wait until they are out on the field with Clinton!  

Keep it under control, you won't have any problems in that game, in my opinion. 

20 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Heck, our guys don't even know the SD guys, 

Not entirely true.  There are some close ties from club 7 on 7 and some kids who grew up together in common between the two teams.  

It's a different day.  The kids see each other a lot more these days in non school off season work, and, and kids move schools and zones much more often these days.  

Edited by HTV

4 minutes ago, HTV said:

Not entirely true.  There are some close ties from club 7 on 7 and some kids who grew up together in common between the two teams.  

It's a different day.  The kids see each other a lot more these days in non school off season work, and, and kids move schools and zones much more often these days.  

Yeah, I was comparing relative to Clinton, not as many guys know each other with OR/SD.  OR players and Clinton players ALL know each other due to living in close proximity. 

51 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Yeah, I was comparing relative to Clinton, not as many guys know each other with OR/SD.  OR players and Clinton players ALL know each other due to living in close proximity. 

And quite a bit are even related, or have been throughout the years, at least. Not sure about this year, but I would assume it’s the same as most other years. Lots have played together through youth football as well, as always.

4 hours ago, oridgecat said:

Exactly swipes, I was saying I do not agree either.  We are better in this sense, the lineman at least are stepping the right direction and know who to block AND are actually attempting to make that block.  Believe it or not this IS improvement over last year, but improvement enough to handle Greeneville, DB and Farragut? No, just not there yet.  Starting 2 freshmen.  nuff said. 

Willie, I am not bashing the line, they are better, but long way to go.    

No problem oridgecat. I'm trying to be less confrontational and enjoy a great season.

2 hours ago, oridgecat said:

And get off my lawn! ha ha.  I think what we saw Fri. night with all the mouthing was part of the whole culture at OR that Cummings has to change.  He may not have realized that these guys were going to be so emotional, reactive selfish really, because you're hurting your team when you do that.  It goes back to accountability and building that standard, not to mention an overall team lack of football IQ. The good part is his team competes extremely hard with alot of emotion, just have to learn to keep it in check.  I can assure you that the running of the mouth will stop.  Heck, our guys don't even know the SD guys, wait until they are out on the field with Clinton!  

Have you been to a practice this year?  Hear any mouthing? I haven’t but a parent told me this is encouraged at practice. I guess to get the players fired up. Maybe they don’t know when to cut it off.