White's Creeks @ TC

10 hours ago, crazzyness said:

I guess I'm just out of the loop when it comes to Mind State stuff, but what happens to Whites Creek?? Didn't they used to be 4A or 5A. Enrollment drops like that are crazy (outside of Shelby County Public Schools I mean :roll:)

I’ve been wondering the same thing and posted about this when TC played them last year. I remember what they were in the 80s and early 90s. Probably had 1500 students, won multiple state championships in track in the 80s, dominant program in the state, had good football teams, the David Vaughn hoops team in 1990. Crazy to see where they are now. Remember going to a playoff football game there in late 80s against gallatin and place was packed, great community support and big TSU style marching band. Sad state of affairs now. Kinda like b satt’s program!   

9 hours ago, ghostofthepast2021 said:

They've been rumored to be shuttered 2-3 times, and have their students consolidated into other schools.  That has led to alot of exodus.  They have never been a great sports school, but they sit in a limbo.  They have athletes, just NO coaching.

Regarding football, they got a Silver Ball in 4a against Maryville in 1998 during the 5 classification era which still included the privates. The were in the semifinals a couple of times and 3rd round 3 or 4 times.  They were pretty good from 1985 to 1990 and would have gone undefeated once in that stretch if the team hadn't been decimated by the measles.  Alsup coached for 7 years, Coure coached there for 19 years. The coaching thing has really been an issue about the past 10 years. 

Edited by rlh

11 hours ago, crazzyness said:

I guess I'm just out of the loop when it comes to Mind State stuff, but what happens to Whites Creek?? Didn't they used to be 4A or 5A. Enrollment drops like that are crazy (outside of Shelby County Public Schools I mean :roll:)

Nashville built a bunch of new schools like East Nashville, Nolensville, ect and several of the older decrepit schools lost kids and support. 

9 minutes ago, rlh said:

Exactly!  Recently is a big difference than "never."

Some people aren't looking back to the eras where teams beat the heck outta all their locals and called themselves "State Champions".

If that era was so glorious, why don't we do things like that now lol?

I'm sure teams like Livingston Academy, Trousdale County, Cumberland County, Cookeville, and alot of these other sad sacks would love to go back to the 80s and 90's and beat the heck outta tiny schools and scream 9-1 WOO!

6 minutes ago, ghostofthepast2021 said:

Some people aren't looking back to the eras where teams beat the heck outta all their locals and called themselves "State Champions".

If that era was so glorious, why don't we do things like that now lol?

I'm sure teams like Livingston Academy, Trousdale County, Cumberland County, Cookeville, and alot of these other sad sacks would love to go back to the 80s and 90's and beat the heck outta tiny schools and scream 9-1 WOO!

Losing a state championship to Maryville and taking home the silver ball  a local thing.  You must be 12 y.o. The thing is there are certain teams, specifically Trouserhoser County that you always have an axe to grind for some reason.  As far as history goes, SP won a gold ball last year and one in 1969 and several in between along with a bunch of silver balls.  Furthermore, TC wasn't that great in the 80s but they won gold balls as recently as 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013 and a silver in 2018.  I don't know where you are an alumnus, but TC, Gordy and Clay must have driven you into the ground like a tent stake every year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rlh said:

Losing a state championship to Maryville and taking home the silver ball  a local thing.  You must be 12 y.o. The thing is there are certain teams, specifically Trouserhoser County that you always have an axe to grind for some reason.  As far as history goes, SP won a gold ball last year and one in 1969 and several in between along with a bunch of silver balls.  Furthermore, TC wasn't that great in the 80s but they won gold balls as recently as 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013 and a silver in 2018.  I don't know where you are an alumnus, but TC, Gordy and Clay must have driven you into the ground like a tent stake every year.

Honestly, anyone who spouts this, "it was just as hard back in the day nonsense." I automatically envision and balding white guy with a beer gut who stands at a fence and mutters, "Kids just don't have the discipline anymore... I could call a better game than thaty" 

You guys act like football in this state wasn't ridiculous, heck, 1/2 of the high schools in this state didn't even field teams in the 80's.  I guess you are probably one of those guys who think Babe Ruth is one of the greatest baseball players ever, despite never having to face African American pitchers lol.  Dream on buddy.  Your generation would get curb-stomped by alot of these kids.

2 minutes ago, ghostofthepast2021 said:

Honestly, anyone who spouts this, "it was just as hard back in the day nonsense." I automatically envision and balding white guy with a beer gut who stands at a fence and mutters, "Kids just don't have the discipline anymore... I could call a better game than thaty" 

You guys act like football in this state wasn't ridiculous, heck, 1/2 of the high schools in this state didn't even field teams in the 80's.  I guess you are probably one of those guys who think Babe Ruth is one of the greatest baseball players ever, despite never having to face African American pitchers lol.  Dream on buddy.  Your generation would get curb-stomped by alot of these kids.

This is one of the most nonsensical post I have seen on the T since 2003.  Only a person with a low education or poor upbringing would use "buddy" in the way you just did. Its considered as condescending when used on someone you don't know well. You don't have a clue about most peoples' backgrounds so you probably should rein in the condescension.  You really should lay of the negative campaigns against the schools like you have done in the past. You complain about the past until it is used to refute your drivel, then you get your knickers in a knot.

54 minutes ago, ghostofthepast2021 said:

What do black pitchers have to do with Babe Ruth not being a great baseball player?