Haywood @ Covington 10/21/22

CHARGERFAN

3 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

It’s 24 hours to kickoff. 

The Weather Channel says 66 degrees at kickoff. Should be a beautiful night for football. How many folks will Haywood bring? I know our Covington folks will come out in big numbers. 

Totally expect Haywood to bring a good crowd! Excited about this game! 

Edited by Rockytoptomcat

It’s interesting that some of our fans think the Chargers will have to throw the ball to win. Two years ago, Covington went to Brownsville and came away with the win. How? By running the ball. 

Covington has two running backs who have had great success running the ball. Per the Daily Memphian, Skylan Smith has 991 rushing yards through 8 games. He’s averaging 9.5 yards per carry and 124 yards per game. Jamarion Dowell has 935 yards total, with averages of 10.6 per carry and 117 per game. Dowell also has 19 rushing TDS.

I think that Coach Kirby will run these guys tonight and if Haywood stops them, then the Tomcats will get the win. Let’s see what happens.

41 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

It’s interesting that some of our fans think the Chargers will have to throw the ball to win. Two years ago, Covington went to Brownsville and came away with the win. How? By running the ball. 

Covington has two running backs who have had great success running the ball. Per the Daily Memphian, Skylan Smith has 991 rushing yards through 8 games. He’s averaging 9.5 yards per carry and 124 yards per game. Jamarion Dowell has 935 yards total, with averages of 10.6 per carry and 117 per game. Dowell also has 19 rushing TDS.

I think that Coach Kirby will run these guys tonight and if Haywood stops them, then the Tomcats will get the win. Let’s see what happens.

Also, one year ago they went to Brownsville and came away with a shut-out. How? Having no passing attack at all and being one dimensional. Haywood has a lot more talent than they did 2 years ago and we had an E. Flowers that could power his way up the middle at that time. This is a different game and we have a QB that is able to sling it, so I believe that will be a key to winning if we do. Just my opinion. Hoping for a good, clean game. GO CHARGERS! 

Covington will not line up and run the ball right at Haywood with any success. If that is the game plan, then Covington needs to be prepared for a long night. I suspect that will not be the game plan, but I also do not believe that Covington will be able to throw the ball with much success either. I look for this game to go much like last years contest did. Haywood big. Covington is a good team, but Haywood is better than anyone Covington has seen this year. 

19 minutes ago, JoeBlow777 said:

Covington will not line up and run the ball right at Haywood with any success. If that is the game plan, then Covington needs to be prepared for a long night. I suspect that will not be the game plan, but I also do not believe that Covington will be able to throw the ball with much success either. I look for this game to go much like last years contest did. Haywood big. Covington is a good team, but Haywood is better than anyone Covington has seen this year. 

I agree! As bad as I want Covington to keep it close, i can't see it happening. Chargers, y'all have to be able to be balanced!! If y'all can, then the Chargers have a good chance to bring back a gold ball!!! AND I WANT THAT GOLD BALL BAD!!. If the Chargers can't be balanced, then the semis or silver ball is it. 

I've said it before, these Tomcats are the real deal!!

This will be a great game tonight!!! I am pulling for both!! LOL  

2 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I believe coach Rebstock has learned a thing or two about defending the wing t offense. He seemed to struggle with it his first year here. Year two he made some adjustments on how to defend it and we have been much better at stopping it. We shall see. Let’s go Haywood!!

2 hours ago, JoeBlow777 said:

I want to play devil’s advocate for a minute. They team that has played Haywood the closest this year was Lexington. They lined up and ran right at Haywood the entire game. Minimized mistakes (penalties, turnovers, etc.) and played slow and kept the clock moving. Haywood won 42-28 but it was a battle. Is Covington’s run game not better than Lexington’s?  Can they not do the same thing??  Don’t get me wrong, I think Haywood wins this game comfortably, but that would be my game plan if I was JR Kirby.