Gordonsville @ Clay County

TheBlueprint

Congrats Clay...

As a Gville fan, I feel pretty good about the possible rematch, but we have to get the SP monkey off our back first.

I feel like Clay had to empty out the toolbox and this game took a lot out of them. They were gassed in the 4th, and we were able to do things in the run game later in the game that we weren't able to earlier. 

I feel like we stifled Clay's offense, but they hit a couple of plays that helped them, like the rb pass that set up their last TD, and of course the pick 6.

To simplify the outcome to a couple of things...the pick 6 was huge, as was the unsportsmanlike on our last drive when it would have been 1 st and goal from the 2. I've NEVER seen that on called, especially in that situation. For those wondering, our back pointed with one finger signalling 1st down. BUT, you can't let a game come down to one or two plays or calls.

Either way, Clay needs to enjoy the region championship, and I sincerely hope we end their season in the 3rd round in Celina.

3 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

Congrats Clay...

As a Gville fan, I feel pretty good about the possible rematch, but we have to get the SP monkey off our back first.

I feel like Clay had to empty out the toolbox and this game took a lot out of them. They were gassed in the 4th, and we were able to do things in the run game later in the game that we weren't able to earlier. 

I feel like we stifled Clay's offense, but they hit a couple of plays that helped them, like the rb pass that set up their last TD, and of course the pick 6.

To simplify the outcome to a couple of things...the pick 6 was huge, as was the unsportsmanlike on our last drive when it would have been 1 st and goal from the 2. I've NEVER seen that on called, especially in that situation. For those wondering, our back pointed with one finger signalling 1st down. BUT, you can't let a game come down to one or two plays or calls.

Either way, Clay needs to enjoy the region championship, and I sincerely hope we end their season in the 3rd round in Celina.

I like your guys chances of beating South Pitt on the road better than ours would have been. We would certainly welcome a rematch in three weeks as well. I don't feel like Clay played their best game either, with the amount of penalties we committed. Gotta to get through Sale Creek, then Jo Byrns/Whitwell first. Good luck to the Tigers the next two weeks.

4 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

Congrats Clay...

I was curious about the unsportsmanlike penalty as I could not see what happened from my vantage point. On the final drive, I wasn’t crazy about the call to throw a wr screen pass on 2nd and 6 when Gville had been running the ball at will and Clay was totally gassed. 

I was impressed with the Gordonsville defensive line play.  They spent a lot of time in the Dawg backfield.  Albritten is a gamer at QB too, he got good when the Tigers needed him the most.  It’s always hard to beat Gordonsville and we don’t do it much anymore.  I’m sure proud of the Black and Gold tonight.  Hopefully we will meet in the 3rd.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OldTownRoad said:

I like your guys chances of beating South Pitt on the road better than ours would have been.

Should be able too. This SP team lost the house from last season while Clay and Gordy returned everyone.  One thing is for sure. One of our 3 teams is getting a silver ball. No one else in the east has a chance. 

6 hours ago, Pirate2003 said:

Should be able too. This SP team lost the house from last season while Clay and Gordy returned everyone.  One thing is for sure. One of our 3 teams is getting a silver ball. No one else in the east has a chance. 

No one should sleep on Coalbucket.  The took a speeding Coaltruck through downtown Oneida to the tune of 42 - 0 and have only given up 6 points since losing at Gordy.

20 minutes ago, rlh said:

No one should sleep on Coalbucket.  The took a speeding Coaltruck through downtown Oneida to the tune of 42 - 0 and have only given up 6 points since losing at Gordy.

I don't know but I think that same truck was seen many times driving thru Oneida this year.

One thing that worries me about Coalfield is their schedule. They have played only one decent team all year and they were absolutely pummeled. They are a very good team, with tons of athletes, a great QB, and one of the best coaches in small school football in East TN. But just not sure if they are playoff ready to compete vs these teams after regionals. I hope I'm wrong because I will be rooting for them as far as they go. They are a great group of kids off the field.

1 hour ago, rlh said:

Don’t put to much into the win last night. We’re not a quality win. We’re a worse version of ourselves each week this year and we didn’t start out as world beaters to begin with. Most years that game last night would be a serious warning shot to anyone playing them but not this year. Go check it out for yourself. It’ll be worse next week. Honestly Hampton probably beats coalfield by 3+ scores. They’re a solid team and given how down the East is they’ll likely make the semifinals but I don’t think they’re contenders this year. They’re way better than us but we’re way bad. 

50 minutes ago, TSSAAfootball said:

I don't know but I think that same truck was seen many times driving thru Oneida this year.

One thing that worries me about Coalfield is their schedule. They have played only one decent team all year and they were absolutely pummeled. They are a very good team, with tons of athletes, a great QB, and one of the best coaches in small school football in East TN. But just not sure if they are playoff ready to compete vs these teams after regionals. I hope I'm wrong because I will be rooting for them as far as they go. They are a great group of kids off the field.

+1, great people in Coalfield but Gordonsville had them 35-0 early in the 2nd quarter, a lot would have to change for them. This is still a three team race in the east with South Pitt as the favorite until someone proves otherwise. Like I said earlier in the week, I believe Gordonsville can beat both SP and Celina if they take care of the football, didn’t happen last night but there are opportunities left

• Like 1