Springfield @ Munford 2nd Round Playoffs

Kevin38

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Congrats to Springfield. I had posted early in this thread my impression of Munford. I said at the time I didn’t know zip about Springfield. You guys evidently have a very solid team. Best wishes going forward in the playoffs. 

It’s all good. When you don’t see any highlights or games of teams it’s hard to get an accurate observation. Good luck to your Chargers. Seems like they have been solid for a long time.

Edited by brian2000

8 hours ago, Kevin38 said:

You be the judge...

Worse on film than posted. Part (a lot) of the responsibility is on the officiating crew...no way to explain it other than the stripes refused to do their jobs, and you can fill in your own reasons for why. Part (a lot) of the responsibility is on the HC...teams take on the personality of their coach and his was on display last night, he should be ashamed for not addressing their behavior. An old adage is that "you either coach them to do it, or you allow it" and either is shameful. Bad look from an obviously talented team...I was shocked not only by the behavior, but by which player(s) initiated it. Lots of DI coaches will watch that film, and none will like what they see. Competitive "fire" is a great quality, but what I saw from the punches, kicks, and jawing wasn't that at all...it was weak character and bad sportsmanship.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Worse on film than posted. Part (a lot) of the responsibility is on the officiating crew...no way to explain it other than the stripes refused to do their jobs, and you can fill in your own reasons for why. Part (a lot) of the responsibility is on the HC...teams take on the personality of their coach and his was on display last night, he should be ashamed for not addressing their behavior. An old adage is that "you either coach them to do it, or you allow it" and either is shameful. Bad look from an obviously talented team...I was shocked not only by the behavior, but by which player(s) initiated it. Lots of DI coaches will watch that film, and none will like what they see. Competitive "fire" is a great quality, but what I saw from the punches, kicks, and jawing wasn't that at all...it was weak character and bad sportsmanship.

the sad part to me is that the poor sportsmanship by the Munford team overshadowed the tremendous physical talent on that team. Every time a flag was thrown we said, “what are they going to call on the Jackets now?”   

2 hours ago, TheCommissioner said:

Our players are so little though, so when they threw punches they went over our heads.  The “little Jackets” is the new name for our D.  Munford is the dirtiest team I have seen in a while

Like the old saying goes, “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” (No pun intended mentioning fight when punches were thrown)

Looked to me like Munford brought a knife to a gunfight. 

30 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Exactly, and it was all on film right there, and you have no bias and seen it for yourself. I am in no way trying bag on or put their team down and label them as "dirty". In fact I really dont think they are, I just believe they got frustrated and their feelings were hurt so they acted out on it. That is no excues but I do not believe they have acted this way at any other point this season, but they had never been put in the position of being behind and losing. I have no ill will towards them nor their players and hope those who have offers go on to college and do great things on and off the field...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kevin38 said:

Exactly, and it was all on film right there, and you have no bias and seen it for yourself. I am in no way trying bag on or put their team down and label them as "dirty". In fact I really dont think they are, I just believe they got frustrated and their feelings were hurt so they acted out on it. That is no excues but I do not believe they have acted this way at any other point this season, but they had never been put in the position of being behind and losing. I have no ill will towards them nor their players and hope those who have offers go on to college and do great things on and off the field...

I'm with you on that part of it...the officials should be punished in some way, as well as the coach. Kids are kids, it's the responsibility of the adults to guide and mold them, and all that they learned last night was that it's ok to resort to that kind of behavior when you're put in a difficult situation.

• Upvote 1

Munford didn’t know how to respond to a team that kept punching back every time they made something happen. I know they were down to Central 21-0 last week and came back to win. I think once they got ahead of them it was over. 
Springfield came in and took control of the game with the pick six, and once we got up 17-0 which was three scores they lost their composure because they were facing the real fact of getting beat for the first time all year. 

On 11/5/2022 at 9:58 AM, CHARGERFAN said:

I’m not a Munford fan, but they beat my Covington team to open the season. I have a little insight on them. They have some talent that Munford has not had before. As our broadcast team told me before we played them, they have three players who are college prospects. 

Their QB, Bell, is a real threat both passing and running the ball. The running back, Sharp, transferred in from Brighton, making Brighton fans mad, and really improving the Munford offense. They also have a transfer wideout, Cobb, who came in from Memphis White Station. Between these three, their offense is cooking. They all are among the offensive leaders in the Metro Memphis area.

But, what impressed me most was their defense. They held Covington to 7 points, which is way below our season average in the high 30s. Even Haywood gave up 17 to our offense.

So, I’ve followed their season with interest, and it appears that our little 3A team losing to an undefeated 5A Munford was not as bad as it seemed at the time. I know zip about Springfield, but if y’all can beat Munford, you will have done something.

Munford as expected not that good. Competition just ain't the same. They would finish 3rd in our region. They was not very physical and it showed it was the first time they had been hit in the mouth

On 11/12/2022 at 12:28 AM, FOOTBALLROCKYTOP said:

Now I need to know the real truth. On a post that some of the Munford fans made on Facebook saying just the opposite. That Springfield was dirty and trying to injure several of their players. Also that the refs weren't doing anything about it.  One of the exact quotes <("Our Cougars lost tonight to a team that played pretty dirty, and officials that needed glasses. We didn’t play our best, but we aren’t used to getting kicked, getting helmets yanked off, or getting collars pulled for tackles. Officials should be protecting the kids, and they sucked at that") ..So who's telling the truth.  We need answers LOL

Facts are they got hit in the mouth and was shell shocked. They got ruffed up. #5 threw a punch no flag...#5 was kicking our lb after he was tackled...Munford was doing all they could to provoke a fight. Fans not much better honestly. 

1 hour ago, bigdawgtn said:

Facts are they got hit in the mouth and was shell shocked. They got ruffed up. #5 threw a punch no flag...#5 was kicking our lb after he was tackled...Munford was doing all they could to provoke a fight. Fans not much better honestly. 

The coach bears most of the responsibility for the team and the fans. Rather than address his player's behavior and "fix" that problem, he comically waved his arms and (loudly) protested calls that frankly mostly went his way, including some terrible non calls on obvious fouls and questionable spotting of the ball. The officials should never work as a unit again. There's absolutely no way that they missed the kicks and punches thrown, and it's a testament to Springfield's discipline that a brawl didn't happen. Players are ejected for those fouls, and they're NOT at the official's discretion...if it happened, they're tossed. Add those to the obvious facemask and other fouls not called and it wasn't human error, it was plain and simple favoritism of one team over the other.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, tradertwo said:

The coach bears most of the responsibility for the team and the fans. Rather than address his player's behavior and "fix" that problem, he comically waved his arms and (loudly) protested calls that frankly mostly went his way, including some terrible non calls on obvious fouls and questionable spotting of the ball. The officials should never work as a unit again. There's absolutely no way that they missed the kicks and punches thrown, and it's a testament to Springfield's discipline that a brawl didn't happen. Players are ejected for those fouls, and they're NOT at the official's discretion...if it happened, they're tossed. Add those to the obvious facemask and other fouls not called and it wasn't human error, it was plain and simple favoritism of one team over the other.

I knew we wouldn't get a fair game called when they spotted the Munford out-of-bounds punt on our 31 instead of the 50 where it went out. They backed us up 19 yard on that one play