Rd 2 Unaka @ Coalfield

rtl112

40 minutes ago, pujo said:

If Unaka can cut back on the penalties, it could be game on. Unaka is better than some might think.

Think that's correct too and some teams aren't as good as usual also. Think tbone said he wasn't familiar with this area, but this area has seen a few dang good running QBs the last 2-3 years. Some programs have benefited from watching Hampton, Cloudland and Eliz coaches use those QBs 

Edited by uknoit2

1 hour ago, uknoit2 said:

Think that's correct too and some teams aren't as good as usual also. Think tbone said he wasn't familiar with this area, but this area has seen a few dang good running QBs the last 2-3 years. Some programs have benefited from watching Hampton, Cloudland and Eliz coaches use those QBs 

That’s correct, I’m not super familiar with a lot of teams in that direction. One thing I do know is that those teams can run the dang ball! Some tough guys up there

2 minutes ago, tbone82 said:

That’s correct, I’m not super familiar with a lot of teams in that direction. One thing I do know is that those teams can run the dang ball! Some tough guys up there

Ultimately Unaka must slow CF down and stop the run to have a chance to let their O have the ball and make plays. 

5 hours ago, uknoit2 said:

I'd say most QB,s can run the ball pretty well, people just use them sparingly  if at all, many don't even play both sides of the ball. Small schools can very rarely afford that luxury. Shoot Cloudland Don't even use a QB,  just put the ball in the best runners hand every down. 

4 hours ago, pujo said:

I'd say most QB,s can run the ball pretty well, people just use them sparingly  if at all, many don't even play both sides of the ball. Small schools can very rarely afford that luxury. Shoot Cloudland Don't even use a QB,  just put the ball in the best runners hand every down. 

Sometimes it’s best to cut out the middle man and just do what your best at lol

Alot of small school coaches don't know enough about modern offense to be able to coach it successfully. It's difficult to teach, difficult to execute, takes alot more time to implement. Also it takes the athletes, and having a QB who can consistently throw accurate passes in the 15-25 yard range. 

Much easier to lineup, snap it to your running QB and run iso and power with a few traps and here and there for good measure. Very easy to coach, very easy to learn. And as long as you are better upfront then you probably will be successful. Until you face someone who can lineup and beat you man vs man upfront. That's usually when these small school teams run into a wall and lose in the 2nd or 3rd round of playoffs. 

2 hours ago, TSSAAfootball said:

Alot of small school coaches don't know enough about modern offense to be able to coach it successfully. It's difficult to teach, difficult to execute, takes alot more time to implement. Also it takes the athletes, and having a QB who can consistently throw accurate passes in the 15-25 yard range. 

Much easier to lineup, snap it to your running QB and run iso and power with a few traps and here and there for good measure. Very easy to coach, very easy to learn. And as long as you are better upfront then you probably will be successful. Until you face someone who can lineup and beat you man vs man upfront. That's usually when these small school teams run into a wall and lose in the 2nd or 3rd round of playoffs. 

Very well said. Not to say complexity is better but you tend to see teams that are more RPO and Zone run based make it further than the teams who’s best play is the QB scramble 

12 hours ago, TSSAAfootball said:

It takes a powerful offensive line to just take a snap and run right at people.  Last year cland had the most powerful unit in 1a.  We ran for 350 on south Pitt and they knew where it was going.  That penalty on the 1 yard line kept us out of Cookeville.   You have to build those kinds of linemen in the rec clubs.  Unaka could never play our style of ball because their kids don't start playing til jr.high.  My girls little brother is 8 and he just finished his 4th season.  By the time he gets to high school the run blocking will be like breathing.  

17 minutes ago, THE KING said:

It takes a powerful offensive line to just take a snap and run right at people.  Last year cland had the most powerful unit in 1a.  We ran for 350 on south Pitt and they knew where it was going.  That penalty on the 1 yard line kept us out of Cookeville.   You have to build those kinds of linemen in the rec clubs.  Unaka could never play our style of ball because their kids don't start playing til jr.high.  My girls little brother is 8 and he just finished his 4th season.  By the time he gets to high school the run blocking will be like breathing.  

King you nailed it. . It all begins in youth football. I remember playing at 6 in “grasscutters” then “peewee” and “midgets”. . None of this PC Correct flag football nonsense back then. Cloudland has built a solid program for 20yrs by having the kids starting early. Now days parents start with “soccer”. Because they’re afraid little Johnny is going to get “hurt”. Such pathetic BS. I played my brother played. All the kids in the Community Played. Not a single one suffering from “CTE”. . And we’re healthy as the rest of the neighbors. Not saying that someone who plays College and a Long Pro Career can’t have issues. My point is Cloudland has stayed ultra competitive for so many years because the kids start learning and loving football at an early age. There’s really no other explanation for their dominance considering they have the 2nd smallest school in 1A that can actually field a team. It’s a compliment to the parents, kids, and their community. I’m always impressed with the team Cloudland fields year in and year out. 

36 minutes ago, THE KING said:

darn King it woulda shocked the world to have sent S Pitt packing. I remember listening to that game and was absolutely shocked by the Landers performance. They deserved to Win. And it’s a shame that they didn’t get the chance to go to Chattanooga. 

10 hours ago, THE KING said:

How many yards rushing did you have on us last year?  I'd have to say I thought Gordonsville's line was pretty impressive along with your all's last year.  We couldn't even hardly move the ball on Gordonsville last year. They shut us out, we were in the RedZone two or three times on them and came up empty.  I just thought they would've gave the pirates a game if not upset them.  I not discrediting Cloudland's line for they were good and one of best in the east. 

Edited by rtl112