Interesting article on classification appeal

Indian

I had trouble linking it, basically Howard appealing and wanting to play down one class due to most of the new additions to the school not playing football. Many Guatemala natives now there the TFP said. Around 40 total students on soccer now, though. 

this would seem to be a “slippery slope.” Maybe it would been better to try and play non-region. 

Edited by Indian

1 hour ago, Indian said:

I had trouble linking it, basically Howard appealing and wanting to play down one class due to most of the new additions to the school not playing football. Many Guatemala natives to the TFP said. Around 40 total students on soccer now, though. 

this would seem to be a “slippery slope.” Maybe it would been better to try and play non-region. 

I've been thinking a non region schedule would be the way to go for howard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichyRich said:

I've been thinking a non region schedule would be the way to go for howard.

They could possibly get city rivals Tyner, Brainerd, Central, East Ridge, Hixson, a couple of smaller schools like Lookout Valley (nearby) and Sale Creek, CCS right down the street, 1 long trip like an Austin-East. Still wouldn’t be easy but playing teams like Rhea and traveling could be a program-ender if it’s in the condition described. 

• Like 2

Dear Howard School the shrine of my devotion!!!! Since when did we start crying!!!!!  Man up and play and quit all of the excuses....They had no season ending injuries those players are not playing because of the new coach!  In the article it was said how competitive they were in 4a well its not like this 5a district they are playing in is that tuff.....They cant even beat Hixson, Brainerd, Boyd, Tyner which are all smaller division schools at some point they have to realize they hired the wrong guy...and its plain to see because I assure none of his former players or maybe even the current players will come to say they really want him.  

While I agree it is a slippery slope, it seems crazy to have a group that has zero interest in football being the ones that determine which classification the football team plays in. Howard will never be able to compete in 5A. The head coach that left there a couple of years ago and I have mutual friends. He left for this very reason.

37 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

While I agree it is a slippery slope, it seems crazy to have a group that has zero interest in football being the ones that determine which classification the football team plays in. Howard will never be able to compete in 5A. The head coach that left there a couple of years ago and I have mutual friends. He left for this very reason.

They probably aren’t far from being 6A for that matter, which would have been even more travel and on the average tougher opponents. Howard’s submitted enrollment to TSSAA was 1,506, current according to article is 1,542. Oak Ridge largest 5A for next year at 1,549. 

4 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Glencliff High in Nashville is in the same boat. 40+ languages spoken. Most kids there think football means soccer. They get their brains beat out every week. They have never asked to move down.

In cases like Glencliff, and Howard, were they to have to go to 6A, the best decisions would be to play non-region, or simply drop the programs. BTW, it’s difficult to believe that just over 20 years ago Glencliff was state runner-up in the largest class? I asked a friend who lives in Nashville what changed? He told me about the makeup of the community changing completely.

5 hours ago, chs1984 said:

In cases like Glencliff, and Howard, were they to have to go to 6A, the best decisions would be to play non-region, or simply drop the programs. BTW, it’s difficult to believe that just over 20 years ago Glencliff was state runner-up in the largest class? I asked a friend who lives in Nashville what changed? He told me about the makeup of the community changing completely.

They were runner up in 1999 and lost 31-27 to Sevier Co.

The school zone was then changed and a certain athlete-rich area of town was then zoned to Hillsboro. 

Not coincidentally that is when Hillsboro suddenly became a powerhouse after being very average for about 20 years.

10 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Glencliff High in Nashville is in the same boat. 40+ languages spoken. Most kids there think football means soccer. They get their brains beat out every week. They have never asked to move down.

West High in Knoxville has students from 58 countries speaking a total of 81 languages, hasn't hurt football there.  

• Like 1