Honest question about LA

Flea21

59 minutes ago, Ballfan4562 said:

Truly just curious, but do you know what middle school those local boys come from? 

Honestly not sure on all of them…kaleb I believe is from Spring Hill.  I think the Spillman brothers went to Grassland.  Chauncey, Antonio and CJ went to LA.  Jon maybe Grassland but not sure.

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2022 at 8:26 PM, Flea21 said:

Could this be the best Tennessee football team of all time? I’m wearing  a Kevlar vest so bring it on…

But seriously…we all know that the last 10 years of football are much better than football in the 00’s or 90’s…so give me a better team….LA has 10-15 high d1 players…what other team had that?

Memphis Melrose in like 2004ish.  They didn't have as many D1 guys(that could qualify), but as a whole, that team was NASTY.  Speed, speed, & more speed..  

Saw them live in the playoffs that year in Jackson, Tn playing a loaded, REALLY good JCM team at Rothrock stadium.  JCM had 4-5 high level D-1 players on that team, led by the #1 middle linebacker prospect in the country, & 5-star, Daniel Brooks.  On offense, Ryan Scott, a 3-star receiver(who was vastly under-ranked) who was 6'4", 215 lbs, & ran a true 4.5-40, went on to start all 4 years at Memphis, & set numerous school records.

Melrose came in there & made JCM look like a middle school team.  It was a different era, & kids back then didnt get near the exposure, hype, or opportunities as kids do today.  As a result, tons of extremely talented guys who easily could have played at the D-1 level, would slip through the cracks & never get discovered at big, inner city schools like Melrose.  All I know is, that team in '04 probably had 15 or so guys talented enough to play at the power 5 level, & they'd beat the brakes off LA..

Edited by fattits12

5 hours ago, fattits12 said:

Memphis Melrose in like 2004ish.  They didn't have as many D1 guys(that could qualify), but as a whole, that team was NASTY.  Speed, speed, & more speed..  

Saw them live in the playoffs that year in Jackson, Tn playing a loaded, REALLY good JCM team at Rothrock stadium.  JCM had 4-5 high level D-1 players on that team, led by the #1 middle linebacker prospect in the country, & 5-star, Daniel Brooks.  On offense, Ryan Scott, a 3-star receiver(who was vastly under-ranked) who was 6'4", 215 lbs, & ran a true 4.5-40, went on to start all 4 years at Memphis, & set numerous school records.

Melrose came in there & made JCM look like a middle school team.  It was a different era, & kids back then didnt get near the exposure, hype, or opportunities as kids do today.  As a result, tons of extremely talented guys who easily could have played at the D-1 level, would slip through the cracks & never get discovered at big, inner city schools like Melrose.  All I know is, that team in '04 probably had 15 or so guys talented enough to play at the power 5 level, & they'd beat the brakes off LA..

Hey fattits12 - welcome the conversation and board.  We always love new perspectives around here.  Melrose and JCM were some good teams.  Daniel Brooks was a player, but according to 247, not the #1 in the country.  Perhaps you meant #1 in state.  https://247sports.com/player/daniel-brooks-26482/

Melrose whooped JCM 28-0 there at Rothrock.  It's pretty hard to compare some of the teams of late to teams 20 years ago.  I do agree it seems the players on the teams of old were meaner, dirtier and tougher.  I think the players of this era (in general) are more skilled, explosive, can cover some serous ground, more game planned with film and schemes.  No doubt the game has changed during that time.  You made a bold statement about beating the brakes off of David Lipscomb.  Did you see any Lipscomb games over the past couple years?  I believe they have a couple #1 in the state players in their position along with 10-15 players at the D1 level and some back-to-back Mr Football players. 

Love your perspective and pickin on Booger.  He'll have a kindly response.  Tell us about your screen name... I mean?

On 12/5/2022 at 8:58 PM, Flea21 said:

Honestly not sure on all of them…kaleb I believe is from Spring Hill.  I think the Spillman brothers went to Grassland.  Chauncey, Antonio and CJ went to LA.  Jon maybe Grassland but not sure.

Caleb came from BA this past year. His dad has taken him to wherever he felt he had the best opportunity to be the dude. He doesn't need that help. Pretty sure they are in Brentwood although they left Mount Juliet to go to BA before 6th grade.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Caleb came from BA this past year. His dad has taken him to wherever he felt he had the best opportunity to be the dude. He doesn't need that help. Pretty sure they are in Brentwood although they left Mount Juliet to go to BA before 6th grade.

Sorry…was talking about Beasley…not the 8th grader

On 1/7/2023 at 6:13 PM, Flea21 said:

Sorry…was talking about Beasley…not the 8th grader

Pretty sure Kaleb came from Thompson Station.  He was back then (and still is today) a great basketball player.  Pretty confident had he focused his time on basketball he'd be a D1 basketball prospect.  Seems like he made the right choice though.

On 12/1/2022 at 8:26 PM, Flea21 said:

Could this be the best Tennessee football team of all time? I’m wearing  a Kevlar vest so bring it on…

But seriously…we all know that the last 10 years of football are much better than football in the 00’s or 90’s…so give me a better team….LA has 10-15 high d1 players…what other team had that?

Top 3 I’m thinking on paper. That was a heck of schedule they played. I don’t know to many other TN teams that could go out of state and win against that competition and I’m talking 2000s+ not the glory days lol. It’s a fact that TN has more talent then it’s has ever seen and growing.