D1 AA Preview And Predictions

Bump11

220- #1 Noah Todd (Wilson) vs #2 Garrett Crowder (Dobyns)

These two met a few weeks ago at state duals, a 6-2 UTB win for Todd. Now three weeks later, we finally get the rematch. Todd falling to Peyton Cooper that same weekend definitely shook things up a bit, but i think these are the two best 220’s and they’ve proved that this weekend. Todd is coming off back to back state runner up finishes, and he’s ready to finally taste gold. Crowder claimed bronze last year and would love a chance to go back to back next year. These are 2 big men who can move and i fully expect a tight match, something like 4-3 or 3-2, possibly won on a late takedown. Or heck, who would say no to another OT match. I sure wouldn’t. I’ll stick with Todd in another close one. 

Prediction: Todd by decision

285- #1 Hayden McDonald (Maryville) bs #2 Keimel Redford (Science Hill)

Last but not least, the big boys. Redford started the year at the top of the rankings. McDonald shot up out of nowhere and started wreaking havoc. These 2 have met 3 times, all 3 wins by McDonald. 2 of the 3 being by pin, including their last meeting in the sectional final last week. Redford is talented and is the unquestioned #2, but McDonald has had his number. And it’s time to dial it up again. 

Prediction: McDonald by decision

20 hours ago, Bump11 said:

113- #1 Chase Walker (Cleveland) vs #2 Mason Jakob (Dobyns Bennett)

Cleveland’s 2nd of 4 straight finalists, defending state champion Chase Walker, will look to cap off a stellar sophomore season with a second straight state title. Standing in his way, Dobyns freshman stud Mason Jakob, who is looking to give the Indians their 5th state champion in program history. My initial pick was Jakob, and i’ve had no reason to falter on that. As i predicted previously, i think this is your “Best Match” award winner, and it is the one i look forward to the most tomorrow. It’s time to realistically start preparing for Dobyns to potentially have back to back D1 large school 4x state champs, the first ones since Knox Fuller (2014-2017). 

Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the Mason Jakob show. 

Prediction: Jakob by decision

They didn’t win an award, but hopefully you enjoyed the match. 

9 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

i did! quite a bit more one sided than i was expecting, thought Chase would put up a better fight. Mason is special 

Chase is a great wrestler. Love that kid to death. He also had a great tournament!!! Mason puts in the work and has had and has some really special coaches. He’s a student of the game. 

36 minutes ago, LocalHero said:

Chase is a great wrestler. Love that kid to death. He also had a great tournament!!! Mason puts in the work and has had and has some really special coaches. He’s a student of the game. 

and only a freshman! There’s something brewing in Kingsport. I know this weekend didn’t quite go the way they wanted as a team, but they’re not going away, and they’re gonna keep getting a lot better for the next few years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bump11 said:

and only a freshman! There’s something brewing in Kingsport. I know this weekend didn’t quite go the way they wanted as a team, but they’re not going away, and they’re gonna keep getting a lot better for the next few years. 

losing 6 starters…. they have 5 very good ones still there but will struggle at those other weights 

and not bringing anyone up….unless they bring up a very undersized (but very good) Noah Watkins

I think they will have a tight one with Summit next year…. fighting for second it looks like.

5 minutes ago, Rasslinking said:

losing 6 starters…. they have 5 very good ones still there but will struggle at those other weights 

and not bringing anyone up….unless they bring up a very undersized (but very good) Noah Watkins

I think they will have a tight one with Summit next year…. fighting for second it looks like.

Lol Nobody coming up that you know…Expect to see some different faces in the lineup. Also, the heavyweight wrestled one year. Crowder could always move up and there is another kid working hard that can step into his spot. Don’t count DB out. Before this year not everyone knew Mason. Some were questioning who he’s beat in TN or if he’d beat Baltz or Creque. You’re not a DB guy you’re a Cleveland guy. The nobody coming up thing is nonsense.