Uperman and south rd 1

ball21

2 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Not at all you misunderstood my post. Sometimes we all have teams that come along once in a generation this might be that team for you guys. That’s all I meant. 

Once in a generation? I guess you mean to win it? South Side has been a top team in the state for about 6 years now. I believe this is their 3rd appearance in 6 yrs which is not to shabby and they've loss their best player 2 of those 3. Upperman is good and the defending champion and a perennial powerhouse, but South Side is equally good I believe. This will be a good game nonetheless. We are all bias to our home teams so I understand.

36 minutes ago, BallIsLife1 said:

Once in a generation? I guess you mean to win it? South Side has been a top team in the state for about 6 years now. I believe this is their 3rd appearance in 6 yrs which is not to shabby and they've loss their best player 2 of those 3. Upperman is good and the defending champion and a perennial powerhouse, but South Side is equally good I believe. This will be a good game nonetheless. We are all bias to our home teams so I understand.

Still not what he meant. You say that SS has been a top team for 6 years, and that's a reflection of where McNeal has the program... he said once in a generation, and that could be the squad that SS has this season if they run through the tourney like some teams have in the past. Gleason was a perennial power in 1A for years back in the 90's and early 2000's while winning a few championships, but they had one of the teams that he's talking about around the end of their run. They ran through the tournament without being challenged and beat another powerhouse team in Jackson County in the championship by 20+ points. The program was where SS is now, but that one team was on another level.

38 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Still not what he meant. You say that SS has been a top team for 6 years, and that's a reflection of where McNeal has the program... he said once in a generation, and that could be the squad that SS has this season if they run through the tourney like some teams have in the past. Gleason was a perennial power in 1A for years back in the 90's and early 2000's while winning a few championships, but they had one of the teams that he's talking about around the end of their run. They ran through the tournament without being challenged and beat another powerhouse team in Jackson County in the championship by 20+ points. The program was where SS is now, but that one team was on another level.

Thank you. Exactly my point. 

See a couple of potential issues that could effect The U tomorrow.  First, they've been up and down at the line this year. Most games, like the sectional, it didn't matter.  Tight game, it can be the diff between winning and losing.  The second thing, and this will get magnified against SS, they don't always value the basketball.  Can't have any unforced turnovers against a team that makes it's bones forcing turnovers.  U came back from a double digit deficit last year. This ain't that team. A turnover fueled SS run would be hard to overcome.  They most certainly can win, and I hope they do, but will have to hit the freebies and take care of the ball.

2 hours ago, Dragline said:

See a couple of potential issues that could effect The U tomorrow.  First, they've been up and down at the line this year. Most games, like the sectional, it didn't matter.  Tight game, it can be the diff between winning and losing.  The second thing, and this will get magnified against SS, they don't always value the basketball.  Can't have any unforced turnovers against a team that makes it's bones forcing turnovers.  U came back from a double digit deficit last year. This ain't that team. A turnover fueled SS run would be hard to overcome.  They most certainly can win, and I hope they do, but will have to hit the freebies and take care of the ball.

It would be ludicrous for me to argue against valuing possessions, but against SS there will be opportunities. Methodical teams who run "lull you to sleep" offensive sets are where the ball is most valuable, and SS will get off shots at a rapid pace. Making sure you get good looks at the basket and getting back on defense should be the priority in this game. If Upperman can keep up early while adjusting to the speed and aggressive nature of the Hawks' defense, they'll have a great shot...where they get most teams is the shock value of seeming to have six or seven defenders on the floor, and double digit leads before the game slows down a little. Attack the Hawks' press to the rim, and penalize the wings for overplaying passing lanes (if you have the personnel). 

31 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

It would be ludicrous for me to argue against valuing possessions, but against SS there will be opportunities. Methodical teams who run "lull you to sleep" offensive sets are where the ball is most valuable, and SS will get off shots at a rapid pace. Making sure you get good looks at the basket and getting back on defense should be the priority in this game. If Upperman can keep up early while adjusting to the speed and aggressive nature of the Hawks' defense, they'll have a great shot...where they get most teams is the shock value of seeming to have six or seven defenders on the floor, and double digit leads before the game slows down a little. Attack the Hawks' press to the rim, and penalize the wings for overplaying passing lanes (if you have the personnel). 

Lots of defensive teams and especially South Side gets teams playing panick ball and throwing it around like a hot potato. Players get it and look to get rid of it and put the pressure on someone else. Upperman did a great job last year of keeping their cool on offense. But they lost a Miss Basketball Finalist or winner right?? Will be an interesting matchup. 

This should be a really good game. Upperman plays in one of the toughest district in the state. I’m from west Tenn and there is some really good teams from that area. This is going to be a very close game. I think upperman will find a way to win. They have done it all season long. They have to shoot, rebound and hit their free  throws better to do it too. This will be leave it out on the court game. 

I hadn’t watched either of these teams this year before this game. Was this a rough performance by Upperman? Or just a defensive masterclass by SS? Upperman looked like they had no answer to the defensive pressure and lost their composure a bit. Either way, congrats to SS and both teams on great seasons, and good luck to SS in the rest of the tournament!