AAAA State Tournament

CU06

59 minutes ago, lumberjackmak said:

100% Gillespie cost DB this game by being an idiot. 

I'm not going to call him an idiot, I'll say he made a mistake. He's not a bad kid. I'd bet he's more down on himself than any of us fans are. I don't know if it's 100% that he cost DB the game. Most likely his absence was a factor. Plus, the distraction. But DB made a good showing anyway. Poore has done an outstanding job in the short time he's been here. I expect we'll see ourselves in the tournament many more times in the future. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I'm not going to call him an idiot, I'll say he made a mistake. He's not a bad kid. I'd bet he's more down on himself than any of us fans are. I don't know if it's 100% that he cost DB the game. Most likely his absence was a factor. Plus, the distraction. But DB made a good showing anyway. Poore has done an outstanding job in the short time he's been here. I expect we'll see ourselves in the tournament many more times in the future. 

Once is a mistake, twice is stupidity. 

I'm sure he is a good kid, but a good kid can still be an idiot. 

I coached for 30 years in high, D2 and D1 I've seen it all. Wasted talent, hardworkers with zero talent, and I've seen good kids be an idiot. 

A player averaging almost a double double and being down a point or 2 is going to make a difference of those. They win with him.

18 minutes ago, lumberjackmak said:

Once is a mistake, twice is stupidity. 

I'm sure he is a good kid, but a good kid can still be an idiot. 

I coached for 30 years in high, D2 and D1 I've seen it all. Wasted talent, hardworkers with zero talent, and I've seen good kids be an idiot. 

A player averaging almost a double double and being down a point or 2 is going to make a difference of those. They win with him.

I agree with this take...

But, even if we had won today with him, there was no way we were winning the whole thing.  Independence and Hillsborough look far better than the other semifinalists in which they're up against.

In the end, the gold ball is the only thing that matters.  Only one team gets to end their season with a win, and they'll be hoisting it.

My final thought on this years Indians is that we overachieved this year.  We got farther than I think we probably should have, especially if you look at how our early season was going.  I mean, we were flirting with a losing record entering January.  Coach Poore is why we made it to this point.  If only we could hire someone else from Greeneville to be our football coach.  Anyone know how much Ballard's kid has left at West Point?  Can we get him?  Lol

DB had a good showing despite the absence of Gillespie. He made a poor decision that probably cost his team today. They advance today if he plays. I’m not sure they repeat as champs, as both Independence and Hillsboro look like better teams. 

Who do the Indians lose to graduation besides Gillespie, Oliver and Stump? They’ve got young talent and good coaching but those 3 are big losses. 

1 hour ago, TribalEmpire said:

I agree with this take...

But, even if we had won today with him, there was no way we were winning the whole thing.  Independence and Hillsborough look far better than the other semifinalists in which they're up against.

In the end, the gold ball is the only thing that matters.  Only one team gets to end their season with a win, and they'll be hoisting it.

My final thought on this years Indians is that we overachieved this year.  We got farther than I think we probably should have, especially if you look at how our early season was going.  I mean, we were flirting with a losing record entering January.  Coach Poore is why we made it to this point.  If only we could hire someone else from Greeneville to be our football coach.  Anyone know how much Ballard's kid has left at West Point?  Can we get him?  Lol

To answer your last two questions Cade graduates from West Point this year (Lead Army over Navy as the starter this year).  The getting him part is more of the problem.  He has a family farm in Greeneville, his wife has a great job at Covington Logistics, and not to mention he is killing it in Greeneville selling commercial and residential real estate making way more money than coaching high school football.  I will say this with Frank Debusk (Another Greeneville Boy) as you athletic director DB would have the best shot at him outside of Greeneville.

Edited by Swipes
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, WBNC83 said:

DB had a good showing despite the absence of Gillespie. He made a poor decision that probably cost his team today. They advance today if he plays. I’m not sure they repeat as champs, as both Independence and Hillsboro look like better teams. 

Who do the Indians lose to graduation besides Gillespie, Oliver and Stump? They’ve got young talent and good coaching but those 3 are big losses. 

Day, the center, is also a senior.

15 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

Disappointing showing in 4A by East Tennessee teams. 

What do you mean? Historically the west dominates the east in basketball. 

DB score is much closer than the final score would suggest.

William Blount was prob the best team in the East, but DB won that game at full strength. They played M East down about 30% of their avg scoring because of suspended player.  

Independence and Memphis Overton will be a tale of 2 different styles. If Independence keeps the game at the right pace and doesn't turn it into a track meet, they'll beat Overton by 8-10 in my opinion. I think Independence is winning the Gold Ball after what I witnessed today in both games. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon

7 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

Independence and Memphis Overton will be a tale of 2 different styles. If Independence keeps the game at the right pace and doesn't turn it into a track meet, they'll beat Overton by 8-10 in my opinion. I think Independence is winning the Gold Ball after what I witnessed today in both games. 

Will be very Interesting to see if Overton can get them ruffled up. Independence playing their best ball of the year at the perfect time.