Oliver Springs

3 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I can't say if they were a perennial powerhouse, but we met them in '69 in the first football playoffs. Then they had a few tough teams in the mid 80s as well as some in the 90s.

They were in the playoffs all through the 80s. That's something because back then you had just three classes and you actually had to do something to make the playoffs other than just having matching uniforms.

Agree 100%!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, crow said:

I am going on the opinion of other programs around the area and East. I’m not sure leather helmets were a thing in the 1992 season when Oneida won a state championship (just 3 football classes including private schools) Or the 1994 season semifinals team(2A with 3 classes including private schools) there have been numerous semifinal teams over the years including 2008 and a very good 2012 team I believe it was. During the Coach May senior tenure yes they were a bone to be chewed year in and year out. The “it’s just Oneida” mentality is really the last 10 or so years honestly. Before that dating back quite a long way while no gold balls came to Oneida not a lot of folks looked forward to that game. Now, well least just say things have changed. As for a definitive answer I believe the folks like @orngnblk @pujo @rtl112 and several other old timers give their opinions on if Oneida was considered a “powerhouse” or not until the last decade or so but I would say the late 80’s and the 90’s yes. In the T$$AA era (1969 to present I believe)we’ve had 1 championship, 8 semifinals and 9 round 3 games. Since then the program has a 67% winning percentage at 513-257-5 and 18 district/region championships and I’d have to look but I’d be willing to bet a larger number came in the 3 class with private schools playing public era than the multiple class/multiple division setup we currently have. But a smart fellar like you likely already knew most of that now didn’t ya? I give credit where its due, no way a guy knows that much about a school system but failed to realize they had a modern era championship and the Jim May senior era. 

First of all to have the respect of South Pitt,Trousdale and Greenback should say enough by itself.But to agree with DrunkenSailor ANY team who were in the playoffs in the 3 class system CONTINUALLY in my eyes was a powerhouse team.Now a "Perennial" powerhouse no they are the teams with multiple balls in the trophy case.But in our area Oneida was always at the top of our list when post season rolled around.8 Semis is nothing to shake a stick at AND a Championship in the 3 Class system was huge best High school football era ever!Was this guy a Coalfield or Scott High grad?He sure has a thing with your indians!

15 hours ago, crow said:

Yep, a roster full of 20-something’s and you to could achieve mediocrity and perineal 2nd round losses as well :roflol:

Plenty of success over the years, can't really say they are a perennial powerhouse but VERY few are. Most small schools have their lean years and the one's who win constantly have their own advantages. Oneida is not in an area where they can load up every year.

11 hours ago, orngnblk said:

First of all to have the respect of South Pitt,Trousdale and Greenback should say enough by itself.But to agree with DrunkenSailor ANY team who were in the playoffs in the 3 class system CONTINUALLY in my eyes was a powerhouse team.Now a "Perennial" powerhouse no they are the teams with multiple balls in the trophy case.But in our area Oneida was always at the top of our list when post season rolled around.8 Semis is nothing to shake a stick at AND a Championship in the 3 Class system was huge best High school football era ever!Was this guy a Coalfield or Scott High grad?He sure has a thing with your indians!

I’m not sure about where he’s from, he’s not saying lol

14 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I can't say if they were a perennial powerhouse, but we met them in '69 in the first football playoffs. Then they had a few tough teams in the mid 80s as well as some in the 90s.

They were in the playoffs all through the 80s. That's something because back then you had just three classes and you actually had to do something to make the playoffs other than just having matching uniforms.

Agree 100%!

6 hours ago, pujo said:

Plenty of success over the years, can't really say they are a perennial powerhouse but VERY few are. Most small schools have their lean years and the one's who win constantly have their own advantages. Oneida is not in an area where they can load up every year.

Thank you gentlemen for your honest input. I’d have to say all were spot on I’m my opinion. I agree upon further thought “perineal” powerhouses have multiple championships. My initial reference may have gave the wrong impression. My intent was that to my understanding Oneida had, until relatively recently, been considered a top tier program and of relevance in the state wide discussion. I agree that is not currently the case unfortunately. 

On 7/12/2023 at 9:09 PM, crow said:

I am going on the opinion of other programs around the area and East. I’m not sure leather helmets were a thing in the 1992 season when Oneida won a state championship (just 3 football classes including private schools) Or the 1994 season semifinals team(2A with 3 classes including private schools) there have been numerous semifinal teams over the years including 2008 and a very good 2012 team I believe it was. During the Coach May senior tenure yes they were a bone to be chewed year in and year out. The “it’s just Oneida” mentality is really the last 10 or so years honestly. Before that dating back quite a long way while no gold balls came to Oneida not a lot of folks looked forward to that game. Now, well least just say things have changed. As for a definitive answer I believe the folks like @orngnblk @pujo @rtl112 and several other old timers give their opinions on if Oneida was considered a “powerhouse” or not until the last decade or so but I would say the late 80’s and the 90’s yes. In the T$$AA era (1969 to present I believe)we’ve had 1 championship, 8 semifinals and 9 round 3 games. Since then the program has a 67% winning percentage at 513-257-5 and 18 district/region championships and I’d have to look but I’d be willing to bet a larger number came in the 3 class with private schools playing public era than the multiple class/multiple division setup we currently have. But a smart fellar like you likely already knew most of that now didn’t ya? I give credit where its due, no way a guy knows that much about a school system but failed to realize they had a modern era championship and the Jim May senior era. 

Oneida has been one of the best teams in the upper east over the years.  Everybody has there ups and downs. Oneida does things with class and respect most of all.  I know they are circled  on our schedule every year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, rtl112 said:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe he said that he is from Cumberland County,  but he seems to have interest in Oz.  

He talks about how bad and how soft Oneida is going to be, there’s one thing for sure if he is from Cumberland county he should definitely recognize bad and soft football :roflol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rtl112 said:

Oneida has been one of the best teams in the upper east over the years.  Everybody has there ups and downs. Oneida does things with class and respect most of all.  I know they are circled  on our schedule every year.  

Ours too,lol. We've had some good ones over the years. Also agree they've been one of the best in the East over the years. In a dry spell for the time being. Great fan base and people in general.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pujo said:

Ours too,lol. We've had some good ones over the years. Also agree they've been one of the best in the East over the years. In a dry spell for the time being. Great fan base and people in general.

We have had ALOT of playoff type games during the regular season with them.My favorite game of the year because of their history of Big,strong run first type teams.Up there they are even tougher!Always play clean and with respect. 

• Thanks 1