2024 Class 1A Early Predictions

bballfan12121

On 1/2/2024 at 11:40 PM, chizrich said:

I’ve watched them twice. Both games they won. However, I don’t see a really good team here. They have some nice pieces but they do not have any length whatsoever. They do shoot the ball well. 

I’ve seen them once and they do shoot the ball well from 3.  Gotta run them off the 3 point line and make them play a grind it out game, by making tough 2 point shots. Take care of the ball with their pressure and try to pound them inside.  They lack defending in the post.  

ER has last 3 in a row in a week to GB, Knowledge, and Heritage. GB and Heritage were close games and both teams played very well against East. Not sure what happened in the Knowledge game since it wasn’t broadcasted on FB if anyone can fill me in on that one. Team seems to be falling apart at the worst time. I’d imagine they will clean it up going into postseason, but it’s not looking too good as of now. 

On 1/4/2024 at 12:20 AM, bballfan12121 said:

It’s 1A basketball with one of the weakest paths to get there. It’s not impressive making it to state and losing by 15+.

He will be at NG as long as he wants to be there unless he does something stupid to get him canned.  Very difficult for 1A schools to find quality coaching. The argument his success is at the 1A level should be put to rest.  He’s not gonna be replaced for losing state tournament games. You play who walks through the door to play you. He’s made 3 state tournament appearances in 7 years.  Many 1A schools would love to make 1 appearance.  Now I will admit he’s been helped tremendously by the foreign exchange program.  

Edited by Orangeslide

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Humboldt really looked good last night beating South Fulton by 25 or so. Played a bunch of kids. Very athletic and have 2 dominant bigs. Going to be hard to knock off. 

Yes, they played a lot of kids but wasn’t one of their best games, a lot of  missed easy shots & unforced turnovers.  Coach Abernathy will have them focused as they prepare for next game this team is still young with only two (2) seniors & one starts. If, the guards are playing good & making good decision they will have a chance to get back to Murfreesboro but it will depend on how guards play. With 6’4 & 6’5 post players, teams will have to play a zone because you can’t get around shivers & if defense can keep pressure without fouling they will have a shot! 

4 hours ago, 87vikingalumni said:

Yes, they played a lot of kids but wasn’t one of their best games, a lot of  missed easy shots & unforced turnovers.  Coach Abernathy will have them focused as they prepare for next game this team is still young with only two (2) seniors & one starts. If, the guards are playing good & making good decision they will have a chance to get back to Murfreesboro but it will depend on how guards play. With 6’4 & 6’5 post players, teams will have to play a zone because you can’t get around shivers & if defense can keep pressure without fouling they will have a shot! 

Humboldt has another gear I agree. South Fulton pretty good team but Humboldt was much better. Humboldt definitely needs to win the Region and keep them at home for the sub-state. I agree they have to turn it up a notch defensively. But they looked really athletic with their guards and powerful around the glass. You have to think they will be a handful for whoever and whenever. 

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Humboldt has another gear I agree. South Fulton pretty good team but Humboldt was much better. Humboldt definitely needs to win the Region and keep them at home for the sub-state. I agree they have to turn it up a notch defensively. But they looked really athletic with their guards and powerful around the glass. You have to think they will be a handful for whoever and whenever. 

Yes, I hope they can go on a six (6) game win streak to win gold ball, or I’ll take five (5) wins loss regional championship & win out! lol

Hats off to Frank Hughes, gonna play in a substate, possibly at home. They got a good looking record, and doing it all with like 90 kids in the whole school. 2nd smallest public school in the entire state to field a team this year. 

If they make it to Murfreesboro, I know who I'll be pulling for. 

• Upvote 1