Cloudland highlanders

IMDog

1 hour ago, rlh said:

You would still need a similar number of teachers and staff to maintain student - teacher ratio.  That's the rabbit hole in part that most ignore when they start talking about consolidation. 

Smart man. Ratios remain the same, new facilities (even small additions) are astronomical, and busing mileage goes up substantially. For small towns who experience a population increase into a small city, combining two or more schools in close proximity is a good option financially, but for rural counties with smaller communities widely spread it's just not. Then you need to consider the studies that say the optimum student population for education and mental health ranges from 600 to 700. Sounds like Pujo's plan would be a good fit.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tradertwo said:

Smart man. Ratios remain the same, new facilities (even small additions) are astronomical, and busing mileage goes up substantially. For small towns who experience a population increase into a small city, combining two or more schools in close proximity is a good option financially, but for rural counties with smaller communities widely spread it's just not. Then you need to consider the studies that say the optimum student population for education and mental health ranges from 600 to 700. Sounds like Pujo's plan would be a good fit.

Would definitely benefit Cloudland and Hampton, both are at the very low end in their classes. Kids are rough and tumble at both places, They'd marry well.

3 minutes ago, pujo said:

Would definitely benefit Cloudland and Hampton, both are at the very low end in their classes. Kids are rough and tumble at both places, They'd marry well.

The thing that turns my stomach when I hear the word, is what happens to the community that loses their school.

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:23 PM, tradertwo said:

Combining high schools here in Scott County saved a considerable amount of money according to the powers that be here. Our consolidation happened in the early 70’s. Before that there were several small high schools scattered around. The travel thing is something to consider. We have students that could potentially spend well over an hour on a bus each way. There is actually some fairly recent talk of some co-op possibilities at the junior high level now and even Harvard a few discussions about full on consolidation at the junior high level. That’s not on the table in the near future as several recent construction projects have happened or are happening but o could see it as a possibility here in my lifetime. It does save money, but there are downsides also for sure. 

On 7/26/2023 at 8:41 AM, pujo said:

Some people would hate it but they need to consolidate Hampton and Cloudland and HV and Unaka. All 4 schools would be better off, would be able to offer more for the kids and the cost of 2 schools would be much cheaper, you could also pick the best teachers and coaches, the 2 schools would still be pretty small.

Pujo as an outsider I’m hearing it’s inevitable up there. Heard someone say it was already in motion behind closed doors just not being broadcast publicly yet. Of course that may not be the case but it’s been said. 

12 hours ago, crow said:

Pujo as an outsider I’m hearing it’s inevitable up there. Heard someone say it was already in motion behind closed doors just not being broadcast publicly yet. Of course that may not be the case but it’s been said. 

Same rumors as always, it would be the best for both schools. Nearly everyone knows it but a few HATE the Idea. I understand it and it would be sorta sad. The 2 schools have been BITTER rivals over the years but they would blend together very well.  These kids hang out together a ton.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, pujo said:

Same rumors as always, it would be the best for both schools. Nearly everyone knows it but a few HATE the Idea. I understand it and it would be sorta sad. The 2 schools have been BITTER rivals over the years but they would blend together very well.  These kids hang out together a ton.

Fall of 2026 sounds good to me lol.  If not, I'd say the twins, Rae, Abby, and makinna will be lady vikings.  It is what it is. 

17 hours ago, pujo said:

I agree, the kids don’t have the same outlook on a rivalry as their parents typically do. It’s the same up here a few “adults” get all bent out of shape at the mere mention of Scott and Oneida playing or not playing. Meanwhile the kids don’t care either way. If they don’t play each other Friday night they’ll likely be hanging out Saturday or playing pickup ball after church on Sunday.