West TN Rural Top 10 Week 2

14 hours ago, 1983 said:

Lol you are correct!  I will be wrong many times again.  Congrats to Rebels they are better than expected but the Mustangs couldn’t have played worse.  I think everyone may be inflating how good McKenzie really is at this point.   

I don't think anybody knew what to expect from McKenzie except they were not going to be as good as last year's team. I knew they had to players to make the Huntingdon game winnable  but didn't know how much the lack of experience would be a factor. Like you, I am not going to sell the farm on how good they are. I want to see how consistent they are from week to week and how they improve each week. Maybe Huntingdon had a hard time preparing for this game because they did not know what to expect either vs. McKenzie knowing pretty much what was coming. With that said as far as talented athletes I did not see much difference b/w the two teams.

Personally, I think some are too high and others are too low. Some not mentioned maybe should be. Still too early in my opinion. You should start to get something more accurate after week 2 and even more so after week 3. Still, Momma seez she is just glad we are talking about that old FOOSBALL!

• Thanks 1

The list? Just my 2 cents; Dyersburg's win was better than Henry's. Riverside's loss to the largest public team in the state might be better than beating PURE. McKenzie capitalized on a horrific effort by Huntingdon. Arguments to move everybody around, but it's too early. 

Everyone looking to build or right the ship from last week, I just don't want to read about a kid succumbing to this heat. Please be careful!! NOTHING is going to happen in week 2 that can't be overcome during the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, PeskyPole said:

Mustanks actually could have played worse.  It is my opinion that there isn't any inflating going on but rather an underestimating of how good a coach that Comer is.  You don't accidentally average 8.5 wins a season for 23 seasons.  He will hit 200 wins this season and has consistently adapted his offensive and defensive systems based on the strengths of his players and not forced them into some antiquated offense from the early 1900's.  Swenson won't get 200, Mansfield didn't either, and even the great Paul Ward fell short.  Looks like Comer and the Rebs were just better prepared for the game Friday night than Swenson and the ponies.  

No doubt the Rebels were much more prepared and ready to play the other night.  That loss for the Mustangs tasted like the loss vs Cornersville a few years ago in playoffs.  This is the same Mustang team that brings back most everyone from an 11-3 season so it’s not like this team is going to play like that every game.  We will get it together.  This Senior class I’m pretty sure beat this rebels class in Middle school by 30 points so something isn’t translating to high school at the moment.  McKenzie has won 4 in a row and the Mustangs had a 5 win streak before that so it all comes around.  Definitely been more even the last 20 years than in the history of this rivalry.  

1 hour ago, RexKwonDo said:

I don't think anybody knew what to expect from McKenzie except they were not going to be as good as last year's team. I knew they had to players to make the Huntingdon game winnable  but didn't know how much the lack of experience would be a factor. Like you, I am not going to sell the farm on how good they are. I want to see how consistent they are from week to week and how they improve each week. Maybe Huntingdon had a hard time preparing for this game because they did not know what to expect either vs. McKenzie knowing pretty much what was coming. With that said as far as talented athletes I did not see much difference b/w the two teams.

All good points!  

16 minutes ago, 1983 said:

No doubt the Rebels were much more prepared and ready to play the other night.  That loss for the Mustangs tasted like the loss vs Cornersville a few years ago in playoffs.  This is the same Mustang team that brings back most everyone from an 11-3 season so it’s not like this team is going to play like that every game.  We will get it together.  This Senior class I’m pretty sure beat this rebels class in Middle school by 30 points so something isn’t translating to high school at the moment.  McKenzie has won 4 in a row and the Mustangs had a 5 win streak before that so it all comes around.  Definitely been more even the last 20 years than in the history of this rivalry.  

2019 HMS won 38-0 , MMS won 31-22 in 2020 and went undefeated which would be McKenzie's JR class now I think.

6 hours ago, sportsnutz said:

Swenson is at 150 I believe. Or real close to it. In his 16th? year. He could get to 200 in the next 5-6 years. A couple years quicker than Comer, btw. Not trying to throw shade, just putting the facts out there.

I know Mustangs fans have some frustrations but overall it’s hard to argue with Swenson’s record and I think Comer does a great job also.