AP 1A TOP 10 AUGUST 22, 2023

Southtowner

20 hours ago, TSSAAfootball said:

When did SP become such a powerhouse? I watched some highlights of their jamboree and they don't look like they belong in Single A or AA football. 

To give a more specific answer to your question yes SP has always been a quality program and like most they have had great periods and mediocre periods. Their mediocre periods have mostly been short and infrequent and their great periods more long lived and frequent however which is what sets them apart. Their true rise to power though really started in the early-mid 90’s. Always been extremely good, have been elite in their class since then. 

Edited by crow

49 minutes ago, crow said:

To give a more specific answer to your question yes SP has always been a quality program and like most they have had great periods and mediocre periods. Their mediocre periods have mostly been short and infrequent and their great periods more long lived and frequent however which is what sets them apart. Their true rise to power though really started in the early-mid 90’s. Always been extremely good, have been elite in their class since then. 

They were dominant in the 50’s and 60’s and early 70’s. The 64 team before classes  beat the #2 team in the state in a bowl game. The old SVC conference was tough with 5 of its members winning State championships in Tenn. and Al.. Tradition started way before the 90’s

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, team69 said:

They were dominant in the 50’s and 60’s and early 70’s. The 64 team before classes  beat the #2 team in the state in a bowl game. The old SVC conference was tough with 5 of its members winning State championships in Tenn. and Al.. Tradition started way before the 90’s

Isn’t that what I said? I said you’ve always been a quality program and your great periods have been much more frequent and long lived than any mediocre periods you’ve experienced which is what sets y’all apart. Always means, well, always. But the mid 90’s through today have been the most dominant of any period in SP history by the numbers in the modern era. Pre-1969 and the implementation of the playoff system and during the bowl game everyone claimed all sorts of “championships” including Oneida. There wasn’t a recognized state champion in the understanding we have today. I’m not implying SP wasn’t a great program prior to that and I’m certainly not taking away from their accomplishments but like most small schools there have been ups and downs but what makes SP widely considered to be a true blue blood is the fact there’s been more up than down. At that a program winning percentage of 71% all time is evidence of a great program. My point was and is SP did win the 1st championship in 1969 (actually beating my Indians in the semifinals 28-6) but in 1994 is when the program took back off  and really dominated until 2010 with 4 championships in that span and what seems to be a very real chance to get another this year. It wasn’t a slight but to ignore the period of time from 1969 to 1994 is just inaccurate. That said there were a slough of district/regional titles during that span as well but I think it’s safe to say that relevance on a state championship level is the standard SP gauges themselves by so that was the measuring stick I was using in my answer earlier. According to http://www.ahsfhs.org/tennessee/teams/yearlytotals.asp?Team=South Pittsburg there were 18 winning seasons (46 years) from 1922-1968. From 1969-2020 there have been 41 of 51 seasons of .500 or better. Of those 10 sub-.500 seasons 7 of them came between 1969 and 1993 (24 years) 1994-2020 (26 years) only saw 3. Through 2020 SP had saw 48 seasons with a sub .500 record. 45 of those came from 1922-1993 (71 years) and 3 from 1994-2020 (26 years. There is my basis behind my statement. I understand the pre-1969 records could easily be incomplete however it’s all I have to go by. There was no disrespect intended. 

Edited by crow

22 minutes ago, crow said:

Isn’t that what I said? I said you’ve always been a quality program and your great periods have been much more frequent and long lived than any mediocre periods you’ve experienced which is what sets y’all apart. Always means, well, always. But the mid 90’s through today have been the most dominant of any period in SP history by the numbers in the modern era. Pre-1969 and the implementation of the playoff system and during the bowl game everyone claimed all sorts of “championships” including Oneida. There wasn’t a recognized state champion in the understanding we have today. I’m not implying SP wasn’t a great program prior to that and I’m certainly not taking away from their accomplishments but like most small schools there have been ups and downs but what makes SP widely considered to be a true blue blood is the fact there’s been more up than down. At that a program winning percentage of 71% all time is evidence of a great program. My point was and is SP did win the 1st championship in 1969 but in 1994 is when the program took back off  and really dominated until 2010 with 4 championships in that span and what seems to be a very real chance to get another this year. It wasn’t a slight but to ignore the period of time from 1969 to 1994 is just inaccurate. That said there were a slough of district/regional titles during that span as well but I think it’s safe to say that relevance on a state championship level is the standard SP gauges themselves by so that was the measuring stick I was using in my answer earlier. According to http://www.ahsfhs.org/tennessee/teams/yearlytotals.asp?Team=South Pittsburg there were 18 winning seasons from 1922-1968. From 1969-2020 there have been 41 of 51 seasons of .500 or better. Of those 10 sub-.500 seasons 7 of them came between 1969 and 1993 (24 years) 1994-2020 (26 years) only saw 3. There is my basis behind my statement. I understand the pre-1969 records could easily be incomplete however it’s all I have to go by. There was no disrespect intended. 

You forgot the most mercy rule wins in history of TN football, they are really proud of that one over on Twitter! I really wish they would do a Title Town TN documentary type miniseries this year with all the talent they got on their team. That MASE vs SP game is gonna be lit, I may have to get down to Chatt town to watch that one. 

50 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

You forgot the most mercy rule wins in history of TN football, they are really proud of that one over on Twitter! I really wish they would do a Title Town TN documentary type miniseries this year with all the talent they got on their team. That MASE vs SP game is gonna be lit, I may have to get down to Chatt town to watch that one. 

Curious Truth,  who's your team/school?

1 hour ago, crow said:

Isn’t that what I said? I said you’ve always been a quality program and your great periods have been much more frequent and long lived than any mediocre periods you’ve experienced which is what sets y’all apart. Always means, well, always. But the mid 90’s through today have been the most dominant of any period in SP history by the numbers in the modern era. Pre-1969 and the implementation of the playoff system and during the bowl game everyone claimed all sorts of “championships” including Oneida. There wasn’t a recognized state champion in the understanding we have today. I’m not implying SP wasn’t a great program prior to that and I’m certainly not taking away from their accomplishments but like most small schools there have been ups and downs but what makes SP widely considered to be a true blue blood is the fact there’s been more up than down. At that a program winning percentage of 71% all time is evidence of a great program. My point was and is SP did win the 1st championship in 1969 (actually beating my Indians in the semifinals 28-6) but in 1994 is when the program took back off  and really dominated until 2010 with 4 championships in that span and what seems to be a very real chance to get another this year. It wasn’t a slight but to ignore the period of time from 1969 to 1994 is just inaccurate. That said there were a slough of district/regional titles during that span as well but I think it’s safe to say that relevance on a state championship level is the standard SP gauges themselves by so that was the measuring stick I was using in my answer earlier. According to http://www.ahsfhs.org/tennessee/teams/yearlytotals.asp?Team=South Pittsburg there were 18 winning seasons (46 years) from 1922-1968. From 1969-2020 there have been 41 of 51 seasons of .500 or better. Of those 10 sub-.500 seasons 7 of them came between 1969 and 1993 (24 years) 1994-2020 (26 years) only saw 3. Through 2020 SP had saw 48 seasons with a sub .500 record. 45 of those came from 1922-1993 (71 years) and 3 from 1994-2020 (26 years. There is my basis behind my statement. I understand the pre-1969 records could easily be incomplete however it’s all I have to go by. There was no disrespect intended. 

Too technical. 

Didn't read.  :smile:

1 hour ago, crow said:

I wish we could get a match going with you guys. I always liked traveling to your way, although I didn't like the ride home after our last meeting in 1997.

I was just looking back through some things and noticed that game you mentioned in 1969 was played in Dayton.

Anyone know why it was played there? Were all semifinal games at a neutral site? Or did they just pick a not-quite midway point for this game?

If anyone will know, it will probably be @rlh.