William Blount travels to West Ridge

GovForce1

57 minutes ago, etcoach said:

I was told there was some questions regarding how I was able to get WBHS into Region 1 and out of Region 2 three years ago so I thought I would come on and let folks know.  When they did the realignment in 2021 they  had 4 teams in Region 1 (DB/SH/JC/MOEAST) and they had 7 teams in Region 2 (WB/MHS/CLE/BEARDEN/FARRAGUT/HVA/BRADLEY.)  Remember West R was thought to be 5A.  So we decided to ask if we could play in Region 1 instead of Region 2.  I know most folks will say it was solely to get out of Region 2 but there was actually more to it.  We thought if we could move to R1 we would have a 5 team league which  made it easier to make the playoffs and also allowed us to schedule 6 non conference games instead of 4.  In order for us to be able to win the appeal we needed the 4 Region 1 schools to approve which they all did because schools like DB really didn't want a 4 team league either because they would have to find 7 non-region games which isn't always easy to do.  So it only made sense to even it up some.  Then on that same day TSSAA moved West Ridge to 6A which actually made both Regions have 6 teams.  5 League games and 5 non-league games.  Now I thought that was a good move for us but low and behold we went 0-10 the first two years in that league and ended up winless even in our out of league games last year as well.

This year has definitely been fun starting 4-0. Some would say we made the schedule easier.  Well last year we played Karns, Heritage, and MO East and lost 42-14, 38-20, and 63-7.  We just finished playing those same teams and won 35-27, 29-28, and 45-35.  Yes those teams have not had good seasons thus far, but, after suffering through an 0-10 season, it's fun to see the coaches and players have a little success.  

In 2022 we went 0-10, lost in 7 mercy rule situations, and our smallest margin of loss was 18.  It was miserable for everyone.  I was most impressed by the fact that not one coach left the staff and we doubled our numbers in the program from 50-100 after that season.  The coaches and players have worked very hard and I am happy for them.  It is fun again to show up on a Friday night knowing we have a chance to win and the games are generally going to be competitive.  I think Friday's game will be a very competitive game and whoever plays the best will win.  Last year I could not even give away all of our free tickets to West Ridge.  This year our band is going and a bus full of students are making the trip.  Amazing what a few wins will do,

Some folks who are around successful programs all of the time may not understand our situation because they have never been a part of something like last year.  It was brutal.  Being able to win a few games helps the morale of everyone here at WB and with a little success maybe we can get some additional athletes out that have not wanted to play due to our recent struggles.  Then maybe we can play other schools around here that have basically been able to name the score on us the last decade.  

I have always been a huge proponent of competition.  Classifications by size are, for the most part, silly.  There has got to be a success component built in to make Friday nights more enjoyable like a lot of states have.  No one wants to go see 63-7 games.  Hopefully we can get there in TN one day.  Just using enrollment size is, in my opinion, LAZY.  

Thanks to Broadway Barber Shop for being a proud supporter of WBHS.  With a win Friday, he is giving out free haircuts all day on Saturday if you wear WB stuff in......all shades of blue are accepted.

Scott Cupp

Athletic Director

Which Blue High School

865-621-3065

Congratulations Coach on a decision that positively impactful for all. Well wishes on your success. Inside information can be devastating to the many as it can ruin their day and distorted thoughts, but highly appreciated by the few.

2 hours ago, etcoach said:

I was told there was some questions regarding how I was able to get WBHS into Region 1 and out of Region 2 three years ago so I thought I would come on and let folks know.  When they did the realignment in 2021 they  had 4 teams in Region 1 (DB/SH/JC/MOEAST) and they had 7 teams in Region 2 (WB/MHS/CLE/BEARDEN/FARRAGUT/HVA/BRADLEY.)  Remember West R was thought to be 5A.  So we decided to ask if we could play in Region 1 instead of Region 2.  I know most folks will say it was solely to get out of Region 2 but there was actually more to it.  We thought if we could move to R1 we would have a 5 team league which  made it easier to make the playoffs and also allowed us to schedule 6 non conference games instead of 4.  In order for us to be able to win the appeal we needed the 4 Region 1 schools to approve which they all did because schools like DB really didn't want a 4 team league either because they would have to find 7 non-region games which isn't always easy to do.  So it only made sense to even it up some.  Then on that same day TSSAA moved West Ridge to 6A which actually made both Regions have 6 teams.  5 League games and 5 non-league games.  Now I thought that was a good move for us but low and behold we went 0-10 the first two years in that league and ended up winless even in our out of league games last year as well.

This year has definitely been fun starting 4-0. Some would say we made the schedule easier.  Well last year we played Karns, Heritage, and MO East and lost 42-14, 38-20, and 63-7.  We just finished playing those same teams and won 35-27, 29-28, and 45-35.  Yes those teams have not had good seasons thus far, but, after suffering through an 0-10 season, it's fun to see the coaches and players have a little success.  

In 2022 we went 0-10, lost in 7 mercy rule situations, and our smallest margin of loss was 18.  It was miserable for everyone.  I was most impressed by the fact that not one coach left the staff and we doubled our numbers in the program from 50-100 after that season.  The coaches and players have worked very hard and I am happy for them.  It is fun again to show up on a Friday night knowing we have a chance to win and the games are generally going to be competitive.  I think Friday's game will be a very competitive game and whoever plays the best will win.  Last year I could not even give away all of our free tickets to West Ridge.  This year our band is going and a bus full of students are making the trip.  Amazing what a few wins will do,

Some folks who are around successful programs all of the time may not understand our situation because they have never been a part of something like last year.  It was brutal.  Being able to win a few games helps the morale of everyone here at WB and with a little success maybe we can get some additional athletes out that have not wanted to play due to our recent struggles.  Then maybe we can play other schools around here that have basically been able to name the score on us the last decade.  

I have always been a huge proponent of competition.  Classifications by size are, for the most part, silly.  There has got to be a success component built in to make Friday nights more enjoyable like a lot of states have.  No one wants to go see 63-7 games.  Hopefully we can get there in TN one day.  Just using enrollment size is, in my opinion, LAZY.  

Thanks to Broadway Barber Shop for being a proud supporter of WBHS.  With a win Friday, he is giving out free haircuts all day on Saturday if you wear WB stuff in......all shades of blue are accepted.

Scott Cupp

Athletic Director

Which Blue High School

865-621-3065

Does there happen to be another open spot in Region 1? Lol

Congrats to the good folks in LA! Enjoy the success!

3 hours ago, etcoach said:

Scott Cupp

Athletic Director

Which Blue High School

865-621-3065

I am????

I am!

Just ax for the 5-0 cut. 

Edited by BroadwayBarberShop

13 hours ago, GovForce1 said:

I think Farragut should be back on the schedule for football. WB has a lot of history with Farragut and that's a game I miss a lot. I think 2014 was the last time we played them. Time flies.

theres a chance that could happen...bout Nov 3rd....or maybe even Nov 10th

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

11 hours ago, SweetScience said:

What about OR, brah?

Back when WB opened up in 1979, only three teams competed for the District Championship. WB, Farragut and Oak Ridge. The likes of Campbell Co, Karns and Lenoir City etc. would not play Oak Ridge and therefore excluded themselves from the playoffs. 
In 1982, week 9, Meathead ran for about 400 yards on the Admirals, setting up a week 10 showdown between the 5-4 Govs and the Wildcats for the championship and back then only one team went to the playoffs. 
It was a good game for a while, but Oak Ridge came out with a 28-0 win at Blankenship. 
That was the high point of WB football for a long time, but I still remember like it was yesterday. 

Edited by BroadwayBarberShop
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, BroadwayBarberShop said:

Back when WB opened up in 1979, only three teams competed for the District Championship. WB, Farragut and Oak Ridge. The likes of Campbell Co, Karns and Lenoir City etc. would not play Oak Ridge and therefore excluded themselves from the playoffs. 
In 1982, week 9, Meathead ran for about 400 yards on the Admirals, setting up a week 10 showdown between the 5-4 Govs and the Wildcats for the championship and back then only one team went to the playoffs. 
It was a good game for a while, but Oak Ridge came out with a 28-0 win at Blankenship. 
That was the high point of WB football for a long time, but I still remember like it was yesterday. 

Ah yes, I was at that game and remember it well.  I kind of miss WB being good.  I have enjoyed playing them both home and away.  We should get that back going again.  

1 hour ago, BroadwayBarberShop said:

I also remember them playing OR in ‘91. OR got ‘em pretty good, but they played us tough for a bit. They got us back in the 2000’s with those sorry Stanton coached teams we had, and of course those were some really tough WB teams with Coach Meadows at the helm.

11 hours ago, BroadwayBarberShop said:

Close but not totally correct. In 1981-1982 Carter, Halls, Karns, Campbell Co., and Doyle  dropped OR so those teams could not compete for a District Championship of quality for the playoffs. It was right after OR had won two AAA state championships in a row in 1979-80 and another previous  AAA Championship in 1975. Farragut and WB still played OR for a District Championship. OR had to find 8 non district games and played Mo East and West, AE, Bradley Central, Clinton, Chattanooga Howard, Newport, and Chattanooga Red Bank. I guess they didn't have to find one non district game because they always played Clinton back then. Everything got back to normal in 1983 and no one in the district dropped OR. OR continued to play a very tough competitive non district schedule. I think TSSAA had a district and not region format back then.