Gordonsville hosts Forrest

TheBlueprint

I haven't been to every game this year, but this seems like we played more to our potential, even with some starters out.

The run game was there on the first drive, then Forrest sold out to stop the run, and anything we wanted to do in the pass game was there.

Hancock looked good while wearing Gentry's jersey, and we were without the starting RB/LB the whole 2nd half. #22 and #27 filled in well, and I'm hoping we see them in the backfield at the same time next year.

For whatever reason Forrest continually had lanes on their sweeps, and #25 was hard to tackle. I'm not sure why he didn't get the ball more. I feel like if we had sold out more to stop the run, the pass game wouldn't have worried me at all.

20 hours ago, biggest said:

Bad sign for the rockets just seen a couple zebras eating at timberloft! Weirdest thing I've ever seen, they could barely eat because they already had one hand holding the flag.

I heard they were warming before the game. They put a Forrest jersey on a middle school kid and threw flags at him as he ran around the field. Something about muscle memory. lol

Gordonsville - Looked like a great atmosphere for small town football. Nice Homecoming program. #15 is a stud on both sides of the ball. #3 is a solid QB with tons of upside. Rest of the team had Wayne Co or Eagleville talent- a group of solid, hard-nosed players. Coaching was outstanding. Offense, defense, and special teams were all well coached. It was clear from the first snap they had a game plan on both sides that was simple and effective and the players executed it. Hopefully, their injured players are minor and good luck with RBS. They will likely put up more of a fight than my Rockets. 

Field - Appeared dry, even on the visitors side. 

Refs - Fortunately, @biggest had us prepared for this aspect. Very clear what we would have been up against had the Rockets had a simple or effective game plan to execute. First drive refs "missed" :roflol:an obvious grab of the defender that would have resulted in a tackle for a loss but instead turned into a nice run. However, on a bogus roughing the passer penalty they were able to extend the Gordy drive and get them in the endzone. Later on an illegal motion and a holding penalty (neither are visible on TCSports1's fine broadcast) stalled Forrest drives deep in Tiger territory. In their defense after it was clear in the 2nd quarter that Forrest had no chance and was the perfect homecoming opponent the calls evened up and the final stats will be similar. That's what a savvy crew does. 

Disclaimer: In no way did the refs affect our poor tackling, lack of a pass rush, completely blown coverages, and dismal pop warner style offense. 

Forrest recap will be later when I find something positive to type. General is on the right track- disgust. They say being disappointed in someone is worse than being mad at them. We are many seasons beyond disappointment in Chapel Hill.  Last night a .500 Single A team in a rebuilding year put a running clock on us and the reasons had very little to do with guys wearing jerseys.  

On 9/30/2023 at 12:19 PM, 3rdandLong said:

There is no rule against switching jerseys/#s during a game.  Players that play skill and linemen positions situationally can switch every other play if that was logistically feasible. 

Correct. I think it was Humboldt in 95 that had a big lineman with Velcro on his jersey. When he lined up in the backfield they Velcroed a back's number on his jersey. Then they peeled it if when he went back to the line.

18 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

Correct. I think it was Humboldt in 95 that had a big lineman with Velcro on his jersey. When he lined up in the backfield they Velcroed a back's number on his jersey. Then they peeled it if when he went back to the line.

Yes sir. I’ve seen jersey/# swapping during a game quite often over the years.