Head Coaching Openings 2023

SSHawks12

9 hours ago, tradertwo said:

You don't have to recruit kids. Who is geographically close enough to McNairy to pull the marginal kids? One post Said that some go to Miss., other than that probably a very few could choose Hardin Co, and the vast majority decide between the Bobcats and Cardinals. Not every kid in Hardeman County can come to McNairy, but there are several that could choose to if you gave them a better option than they have. Get the majority of McNairy County kids to choose blue and gold over red and silver, then one or two from here and there coupled with getting kids in the halls out to play and you've made a huge jump in talent and numbers. If it was easy everyone would win 8-10 games a year but in reality it isn't too hard to figure out...just getting folks on board with making the effort.

Effort has been made.  Can’t tell you how many people believe there are kids walking the halls that are players.  There aren’t any!!!  Numbers don’t win, talent with coaching wins. If you have a 100 Jimmies and Joes and no talent you still lose.   There are no jobs in the county to draw families in.  School system is biggest employer.  It’s a tough job and it will continue to be until potential industries come and draw people to the county 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCbobcats said:

Effort has been made.  Can’t tell you how many people believe there are kids walking the halls that are players.  There aren’t any!!!  Numbers don’t win, talent with coaching wins. If you have a 100 Jimmies and Joes and no talent you still lose.   There are no jobs in the county to draw families in.  School system is biggest employer.  It’s a tough job and it will continue to be until potential industries come and draw people to the county 

School system is the largest employer in lots of county systems, ours included. Adamsville is in the same boat as McNairy (maybe worse) and have had a great run for years up until recently. Get the kids you SHOULD get, get two or three that should be someplace else, and you may never get a gold ball, but winning seasons are within reach...isn't that what we all want for our small rural schools?

5 hours ago, tradertwo said:

School system is the largest employer in lots of county systems, ours included. Adamsville is in the same boat as McNairy (maybe worse) and have had a great run for years up until recently. Get the kids you SHOULD get, get two or three that should be someplace else, and you may never get a gold ball, but winning seasons are within reach...isn't that what we all want for our small rural schools?

That's exactly what Adamsville did during their good years. 

"Adamsville in the same boat (maybe worse)" I have to ask you...have you spent much time is west tn? My goodness turn the lights on McFly Selmer is literally the armpit of West tn. Here are the reported numbers for you

Adamsville 2021 household income is 39,141.00, Population 2,444.00, Mean (that means average) Property Value 92,100.00, Closer to the river is Adamsville

Selmer 2021 household income 32,704.00, Population 4,421.00, Mean Property Value 84,100.00, and furthest from the river. 

Now, you say get the kids you SHOULD get like Selmer has something to offer. "Hey, we can offer you less money, but you will get to see more people at the local Walmart." I can assure you whatever parent says sign me up have kids coming to play you wish you could send back. If you are wondering what the river argument has to do with anything then I would advise you to get on a wave runner.

"winning seasons are within reach..." You play the lottery? the winning ticket is within reach I promise. And don't read this and think, "that's not the same thing" because hindsight is 20/20. Coaches reminisce every decision to see what they could have done differently. Anyone playing McNairy is thinking tune up game plain and simple. You are coaching to help mold young boys into good to do men. 

Edited by GregoryMartin
misspelling

1 hour ago, GregoryMartin said:

"Adamsville in the same boat (maybe worse)" I have to ask you...have you spent much time is west tn? My goodness turn the lights on McFly Selmer is literally the armpit of West tn. Here are the reported numbers for you

Adamsville 2021 household income is 39,141.00, Population 2,444.00, Mean (that means average) Property Value 92,100.00, Closer to the river is Adamsville

Selmer 2021 household income 32,704.00, Population 4,421.00, Mean Property Value 84,100.00, and furthest from the river. 

Now, you say get the kids you SHOULD get like Selmer has something to offer. "Hey, we can offer you less money, but you will get to see more people at the local Walmart." I can assure you whatever parent says sign me up have kids coming to play you wish you could send back. If you are wondering what the river argument has to do with anything then I would advise you to get on a wave runner.

"winning seasons are within reach..." You play the lottery? the winning ticket is within reach I promise. And don't read this and think, "that's not the same thing" because hindsight is 20/20. Coaches reminisce every decision to see what they could have done differently. Anyone playing McNairy is thinking tune up game plain and simple. You are coaching to help mold young boys into good to do men. 

Unfortunately you are correct 

1 hour ago, GregoryMartin said:

Tired of the "friendly banter"...I can see when you've got an axe to grind and refuse to come toward the middle from your far left point of view. Selmer isn't Vegas... nobody is saying that people migrate there to live a lavish lifestyle, but it is full of people who have kids, and some of them are athletic enough to play football at a high level. Those are the kids that McNairy SHOULD get.

I don't have a clue about the ex coach, but from your posts I'd say that you very well do. All that I can say about him is that the team had a meeting and voted to not play for him...he could be Lombardi, Landry, and Belichick all rolled into one, but if the kids opt out on you, you're done.

Adamsville in the same boat? Yes, all but looking to replace the coach they are. We added a couple of kids that wouldn't play there and didn't want to play for McNairy's coach either. Last time I checked, Scotts Hill didn't have as much to offer as A'ville or McNairy, unless you count the HC who is great with the kids... and yes that matters.

Edited by tradertwo

Tired of the "friendly banter"...I can see when you've got an axe to grind and refuse to come toward the middle from your far left point of view. Selmer isn't Vegas... nobody is saying that people migrate there to live a lavish lifestyle, but it is full of people who have kids, and some of them are athletic enough to play football at a high level. Those are the kids that McNairy SHOULD get.

I don't have a clue about the ex coach, but from your posts I'd say that you very well do. All that I can say about him is that the team had a meeting and voted to not play for him...he could be Lombardi, Landry, and Belichick all rolled into one, but if the kids opt out on you, you're done.

Adamsville in the same boat? Yes, all but looking to replace the coach they are. We added a couple of kids that wouldn't play there and didn't want to play for McNairy's coach either. Last time I checked, Scotts Hill didn't have as much to offer as A'ville or McNairy, unless you count the HC who is great with the kids... and yes that matters.

I don't have an axe to grind, but I do have this sack of rotten potatoes that needs to be taken to the dump. Yeah there are plenty of kids in Selmer, but I do not agree with the "kids can play football at a high level." I wish I had an excel breakdown of  size/weight, max, 40, vert, and skills drills. I bet just about in every way McNairy would not be on the winning side of that tale of the tape. 

DO NOT ever put a high school coach in the same field as that of an NFL. That's just stupid. These guys make anywhere from 50k-90k to listen, to have to put up with and deal with expired cheese all day long.

Aville HC has been there 10+ years so he has continuity and is established. Let's not forget once upon a time, he was caught with some recruiting issues. McNairy has had five (working on 6) HCs as of 2009. 25 athletes left McNairy as soon as AD Franks stepped away from the field. Those 25 kids were the best athletes in the school. "The team had a meeting"... you should do more research on that. 12 players were encouraged by the D Line coach to have a mutiny. The D Line coach was disgruntled for not having the DC position. They say one bad apple ruins a batch but I never really understood why...do you?

On 1/21/2024 at 8:52 AM, MCbobcats said:

Can’t tell you how many people believe there are kids walking the halls that are players.  There aren’t any!!! If you have a 100 Jimmies and Joes and no talent you still lose. It’s a tough job and it will continue to be until potential industries come and draw people to the county 

13 hours ago, GregoryMartin said:

Selmer is literally the armpit of West tn. I can assure you whatever parent says sign me up have kids coming to play you wish you could send back. Anyone playing McNairy is thinking tune up game

57 minutes ago, Youboyscrazy said:

Hope you apply so you can see the bs first hand. that place as a school sucks. I guess Dresden has loads of talent .. nah just kids with heart that wanna win for their coach. That place is a dumpster fire worst than butch jones years at UT. Except well… it’s not the head coaches fault on this one. Can’t have baggage from bad year to get good years. 

LOL...I don't need to apply to see the problem...I'm thinking that it's becoming pretty obvious. Good luck getting (and keeping) your guy with a fanbase like this.

On 1/20/2024 at 8:16 AM, MidStateFan1 said:

Why did Neal get ran out? I'm on the outside here in middle TN, but he has a really good record there including a state championship. Did he get on the bad side of the wrong parent?

There are several factors that lead to Neal and Westview parting ways. The wins and loses had nothing to do with it. It was the way the program was trending in several areas. The talent we have had the past few years and the next years to come is going to produce a ton of wins no matter who is coaching these kids. We thank Coach Neal for his time here and wish him the best in Middle Tennesse.

• Like 1