the z-plan

Vikrim

3 minutes ago, ILB1999 said:

What states do this?

California I know for sure does this. I work with a guy from there and he explained it to me. His kid's HS was huge over 4k kids, but they would play schools that might have less than 2k because they would get killed when playing schools that had the same number of kids. This just levels the playing field because population does not equal great pools of talent.

1 hour ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

California I know for sure does this. I work with a guy from there and he explained it to me. His kid's HS was huge over 4k kids, but they would play schools that might have less than 2k because they would get killed when playing schools that had the same number of kids. This just levels the playing field because population does not equal great pools of talent.

We're never gonna implement a california sports plan here.  You know that.

Wouldn’t mind something like those winning 2 games or less drop a class, those winning 13 games or more/winning state go up a class. Redivide each year, have it done absolutely no later than a month after state games to help stop schools through no fault of their own playing lower than they should due to rapid enrollment rise. 

6A risers go Division II, 1A droppers lose their program or go 8-man.

not really. 

3 minutes ago, Indian said:

Wouldn’t mind something like those winning 2 games or less drop a class, those winning 13 games or more/winning state go up a class. Redivide each year, have it done absolutely no later than a month after state games to help stop schools through no fault of their own playing lower than they should due to rapid enrollment rise. 

6A risers go Division II, 1A droppers lose their program or go 8-man.

not really. 

This makes sense. Community and Grundy County can't compete with 1A teams and there is nothing their 3A region opponents get out of playing them. People will complain regardless of what TSSAA does and this would take some work so unlikely to happen. Would love to see Alcoa play up. Fayetteville and McKenzie last four years could have won most 2A, 3A and 4A regions. 

To me the model shouldn’t be about “fair”. This is America the only thing fair worth talking about is the one with funnel cakes.

A model containing relegations for the worst performing and promotions for the greatest is not about fair. It is about competitive balance. How is it good for the game to have the same teams in the semis every year and the same teams winning 0-2 every year? It’s not so the Ohio and California models have relegation in place.

it’s about keeping kids involved and programs afloat. Don’t believe this is a good plan for college but for high school there are states who do it and it’s created a lot more parity which I think is worth a conversation. 1-9 teams making playoffs shows the Tennessee model is a joke to begin with too and has been for what 15 years?

Since we're all throwing out our own ideas.....

Keep it at 6 Classes, but only the top 2 in each region earn automatic trips to the playoffs. Use a rating system that not only rewards teams for scheduling tough competition but beating them as well. Break the bracket down to 2 Quads, each seeded 1-16 and eliminate the alternate sites for semifinals. Would prefer this happen for 5 classes, but I know going back to 5 classes is a pipe dream

40 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Since we're all throwing out our own ideas.....

Keep it at 6 Classes, but only the top 2 in each region earn automatic trips to the playoffs. Use a rating system that not only rewards teams for scheduling tough competition but beating them as well. Break the bracket down to 2 Quads, each seeded 1-16 and eliminate the alternate sites for semifinals. Would prefer this happen for 5 classes, but I know going back to 5 classes is a pipe dream

Selfishly, keep it six but I like the rest.