Mairvul Footbawl in tha fewchure

STARSNBARS

On 11/21/2023 at 6:45 PM, MidTennFootball said:

Oakland actually had an away game @BC in 2001 and it def. struck me as unusual. BC got to find a way to pack Allan Jones somehow :-|

To Pack Allen Jones, you gotta go to Cleveland. Former Cleveland player, wrestler and grad and big booster. Not a Bradley guy. (although he, through his foundation has been known to support the wrestling programs at Bradley and Walker Valley at times)

The track facilities are in another location instead of around the field.

But I do get the point about the lack of ability to get from one side to the other, unless you get down on the field around the end zones. I don't know if the announcement about non- re-entry is dictated by the school or by TSSAA. But that was not announced until the play-offs, but in our case, I would like to see them make an allowance for that.

But then I have known of instances where fans at other locations (McCallie) were told they had a visitor's concession stand to serve them, tho.

Edited by alt1958b

I can tell you a lot and the first thing had to do with the 1980 team which was actually pretty loaded that fell on their face because the leadership completely turned into a joke. The QB got a lot of pre season hype which I'll say didn't turn out to nothing but a major disappointment. There were some good guys on that team but were out numbered by the bad ones. It pizzed Coach Wilson off so bad he decided to step down but inside he really didn't want to but word had hit the street and Maryville coach Don Story was pretty much the next man up and he didn't want to pull the rug out from under him or he would lost him to another school if he stayed and Maryville teams of that era were built tough defensively by Coach Story. Coach Wilson set out that year in 81 and Kingsport came calling and he took the job. Coach Wilson told me personally he couldn't believe the staff of assistants D-B gave him to work with, it was a coaches dreams versus three at Maryville but through out the 70's only two. I sat with him at an Alcoa game a few years ago and even though he had been away from D-B for many years he kept asking what the score was on their game constantly.  I can personally tell anyone he was pretty bitter about everything that happened that last year and he really second guessed himself for not staying. I listened to him for about two hours that morning but I can say without a doubt he did really enjoy all the new people he met at D-B and he really loved that job up there. I really wanted him to win a state up there so bad but did get close a time or two. During his time at Maryville a good foundation was built for what we have today along with the the great youth league and the great coaches that have gave a lot of valuable time to keep all of this going right until this day.

13 minutes ago, alt1958b said:

To Pack Allen Jones, you gotta go to Cleveland. Former Cleveland player, wrestler and grad and big booster. Not a Bradley guy. (although he, through his foundation has been known to support the wrestling programs at Bradley and Walker Valley at times)

But I do get the point about the lack of ability to get from one side to the other, unless you get down on the field around the end zones. I don't know if the announcement about non- re-entry is dictated by the school or by TSSAA. But that was not announced until the play-offs, but in our case, I would like to see them make an allowance for that.

But then I have known of instances where fans at other locations (McCallie) were told they had a visitor's concession stand to serve them, tho.

I had heard he put he supported all the local programs not just Cleveland,  guess I heard wrong. I'm not much for moving around once I get inside so I didn't mind

6 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

I had heard he put he supported all the local programs not just Cleveland,  guess I heard wrong. I'm not much for moving around once I get inside so I didn't mind

I know he has supported the other wrestling programs at times, but I have not heard anything about the other sports programs. Although I would not be surprised if he did, and just wanted it kept quiet. Being the Cleveland guy that he is.

Edited by alt1958b

9 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I can tell you a lot and the first thing had to do with the 1980 team which was actually pretty loaded that fell on their face because the leadership completely turned into a joke. The QB got a lot of pre season hype which I'll say didn't turn out to nothing but a major disappointment. There were some good guys on that team but were out numbered by the bad ones. It pizzed Coach Wilson off so bad he decided to step down but inside he really didn't want to but word had hit the street and Maryville coach Don Story was pretty much the next man up and he didn't want to pull the rug out from under him or he would lost him to another school if he stayed and Maryville teams of that era were built tough defensively by Coach Story. Coach Wilson set out that year in 81 and Kingsport came calling and he took the job. Coach Wilson told me personally he couldn't believe the staff of assistants D-B gave him to work with, it was a coaches dreams versus three at Maryville but through out the 70's only two. I sat with him at an Alcoa game a few years ago and even though he had been away from D-B for many years he kept asking what the score was on their game constantly.  I can personally tell anyone he was pretty bitter about everything that happened that last year and he really second guessed himself for not staying. I listened to him for about two hours that morning but I can say without a doubt he did really enjoy all the new people he met at D-B and he really loved that job up there. I really wanted him to win a state up there so bad but did get close a time or two. During his time at Maryville a good foundation was built for what we have today along with the the great youth league and the great coaches that have gave a lot of valuable time to keep all of this going right until this day.

Thanks Barney, I always found it curious he left and I know Maryville folk talk about him like Bama folk talk about Bear Bryant

The funniest story he told me that morning was about how he got Mike Casteel who was at Eagleton to come to Maryville over Alcoa. I swear he said they were at spring practice and a UT assistant who was recruiting Danny Spradlin was there at the practice and he ask him to drop by Casteel's house on his way back to Knoxville. The assistant knocked on their door and handed Mrs. Casteel a business card and told her that Mike was on their sophomore group to watch and he was sorry he had missed him that day at practice. Coach Wilson laughed and said Mike was at practice te very next day dressed out. Coach Wilson is honestly why the county schools hate Maryville to this day because he could go out to a Eagleton Football game and stand around and get in good with the daddies of those players and the next thing you knew they were all coming to Maryville.

2 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

The funniest story he told me that morning was about how he got Mike Casteel who was at Eagleton to come to Maryville over Alcoa. I swear he said they were at spring practice and a UT assistant who was recruiting Danny Spradlin was there at the practice and he ask him to drop by Casteel's house on his way back to Knoxville. The assistant knocked on their door and handed Mrs. Casteel a business card and told her that Mike was on their sophomore group to watch and he was sorry he had missed him that day at practice. Coach Wilson laughed and said Mike was at practice te very next day dressed out. Coach Wilson is honestly why the county schools hate Maryville to this day because he could go out to a Eagleton Football game and stand around and get in good with the daddies of those players and the next thing you knew they were all coming to Maryville.

That's what they call having the common touch. I believe most truly great football coaches have it

6 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Thanks Barney, I always found it curious he left and I know Maryville folk talk about him like Bama folk talk about Bear Bryant

That's because we didn't know what we lost until we lost it. Coach Story was a great coach no doubt and very well likes but he wasn't a Ted Wilson that would go out and get kids to come to Maryville. He was really more layed back and very quiet off the field. 

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Good story Barn! The old ball coach left just before I got there. I’ve heard lots of good dad gum stories. Lol. I always enjoyed the one of him showing up in the church choir of a prospective “student” that still holds the 100 dash record for murvil - some 45 yrs later.

22 hours ago, alt1958b said:

But I wanted a snow cone.