Future of Dobyns Bennett Football

indians1987

4 hours ago, formerblazer said:

It wouldn't answer everything but how many of those DB SH DB-2 kids are going to different schools?  Also, when you have the Carter County and Greene County All-Stars it makes a difference.  Hard to say what a difference it would make, but I thought a few years ago if those SH kids had transferred to Crockett you'd have had a group that could have possibly made it to State after a year where they went 12-1.  6A is just the worst for going far, kind of like 3A up here.  

Crockett would have made it until they played a school from Knox County. 5A has been pretty much Knoxville/Knox County except for a few years lately.

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

Crockett would have made it until they played a school from Knox County. 5A has been pretty much Knoxville/Knox County except for a few years lately.

The 2018 Crockett team (12-1) made it to the quarterfinals before losing to eventual 5A state champion Knox Central.     There is just no way a Tri-cities 5A or 6A team is getting past Knox County.

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

GQ apparently has taken a job at Austin Peay as a coordinator I heard yesterday.  A good DB friend who is pretty much in the know does not anticipate any coaching changes at DB this year. Just not going to happen he said, unless the current coach elects to retire or resign. 

Thats correct. Not this year or anytime in the near future. I expect he would have to string about 5 losing seasons together before there would be enough pressure for him to resign. And 5 losing seasons are not out of the question. The little leagues are worse now than they've ever been, the middle schools have been among the worst in the area for the past two years. In other words, the cupboard is bare for at least the next 5 years. And you can't really blame Christian for staying on. He's not close to retirement age and he's not going to get hired and paid anything close to what he's making now. Add to that the fact that no "replacing coach" would come here without replacing most of the assistant coaches and having full control of the program from the ground up. We all know that would trigger WW3 in Kingsport with the "Good Ole Boys. Ain't never gonna' happen. 

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

The 2018 Crockett team (12-1) made it to the quarterfinals before losing to eventual 5A state champion Knox Central.     There is just no way a Tri-cities 5A or 6A team is getting past Knox County.

And lost 23-12 which wasn’t a bad showing at all against a State Champ.

I've already laid out what needs to happen at these 5a and 6a schools in the Tri-Cities but until you all do something about it, your statement is right.  It’s not like Greeneville and Betsy have been State Champs for forever or just breed insane athletes, they took the formula from schools like Maryville and Alcoa and replicated it because they were tired of getting beat by them

4 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

That particular year 2018 was a close game, if the transfer horses would have come over you’d have the majority of the 12-1 kids back and some speed that would I would make a case to get past Knox County that year.  Since then not a chance getting past round 3 in 5a.

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

And lost 23-12 which wasn’t a bad showing at all against a State Champ.

I've already laid out what needs to happen at these 5a and 6a schools in the Tri-Cities but until you all do something about it, your statement is right.  It’s not like Greeneville and Betsy have been State Champs for forever or just breed insane athletes, they took the formula from schools like Maryville and Alcoa and replicated it because they were tired of getting beat by them

You sir are 100% correct. I don't know about Crockett and Boone, but DB and Science Hill are just too arrogant to adopt that formula. That would mean they would be following in somebody else's footsteps. And besides that, playing extra games means extra work. And it's usually cold outside in late November. 

12 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

You sir are 100% correct. I don't know about Crockett and Boone, but DB and Science Hill are just too arrogant to adopt that formula. That would mean they would be following in somebody else's footsteps. And besides that, playing extra games means extra work. And it's usually cold outside in late November. 

Just to add a little something to the conversation, going by the 2022 numbers that were reported, DB is the 3rd biggest population school in the state and SH is the 5th largest.  6 teams in Region 1 so we are looking at trying to pick up 5 games that will help you be more successful when it comes to the playoffs.  I'd say West Ridge will probably be 6A next classification when it hits, but I would say by 2027 their numbers will have them back down in 5A.  

Locally I'd say you can talk your Boones and Crocketts into picking up a game, Elizabethton and Greeneville want that too,  After that you are having to head to Knoxville every week to find some games.  6A is rough in upper East TN.

As far as extra games go, I'm not going to say those coaches don't want it.  I'm going to give every coach in Upper East TN the benefit of the doubt and say they are working hard and want to be successful, but I think it is more fair if you just say they aren't doing a good job at what they are doing.  It ain't a good feeling knowing you are going down to play some Region 2 team that even if you have a pretty good team, you just won't be able to compete.  Should DB and SH be able to compete?  Sure, I don't think any region 2 teams take either of them lightly tho.

3 hours ago, formerblazer said:

Just to add a little something to the conversation, going by the 2022 numbers that were reported, DB is the 3rd biggest population school in the state and SH is the 5th largest.  6 teams in Region 1 so we are looking at trying to pick up 5 games that will help you be more successful when it comes to the playoffs. 

If I was looking for a game to help me later on in the season, I'd head across the mountain to the Upstate Area of South Carolina. The schools are similar in size to D-B and S.H. but they are loaded with speed that they would see later in the playoffs. I'd like to see Maryville head that way for a non-region game. 

PS. I wish they would build a tunnel under Asheville. I used to think driving though the Pigeon River gorge was the worst part of the trip (from Knoxville). Now it's Asheville construction. 

18 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Thats correct. Not this year or anytime in the near future. I expect he would have to string about 5 losing seasons together before there would be enough pressure for him to resign. And 5 losing seasons are not out of the question. The little leagues are worse now than they've ever been, the middle schools have been among the worst in the area for the past two years. In other words, the cupboard is bare for at least the next 5 years. And you can't really blame Christian for staying on. He's not close to retirement age and he's not going to get hired and paid anything close to what he's making now. Add to that the fact that no "replacing coach" would come here without replacing most of the assistant coaches and having full control of the program from the ground up. We all know that would trigger WW3 in Kingsport with the "Good Ole Boys. Ain't never gonna' happen. 

He also added one other thing, he said that DB needs athletes, not coaches.