1st set of HS rankings up on Pin-Tn

TotallynotLEO

3 hours ago, Ummmno said:

Regardless of why we think Cleveland is the best in the state they are. I'd be inclined to say Baylor may be this year but the rumor I heard is they're intentionally dodging Cleveland. 

I'm sure its because they know they probably wouldn't win and like to keep the illusion alive that they're still the number 1 team in the state. 

So Baylor is going to the Walsh Jesuit Ironman (the toughest tourney in the country), the KC stampede, wrestling Blair Academy at the RWC duals, and going to National Prep, but is scared to wrestle Cleveland? Makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, FR615 said:

So Baylor is going to the Walsh Jesuit Ironman (the toughest tourney in the country), the KC stampede, wrestling Blair Academy at the RWC duals, and going to National Prep, but is scared to wrestle Cleveland? Makes sense. 

It does. Imagine going to do all that and being super successful...

...then losing to a team across the city in a different division.

Some people care about those instate rankings significantly more than others. 

They are the two best teams in the state, and only about 45 minutes apart.  

Even on an extremely down year for each program, they are still 2 of the top 10 teams (usually top 5) in the state.  You would think that it would be one of the normal dates each program put on the schedule each year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FR615 said:

I am with you.   

I would like to hear of anybody that has heard the Baylor coaches say, describe or explain any reason for not putting Cleveland on the schedule and it be a dodge type discussion.  

5 hours ago, Ummmno said:

It does. Imagine going to do all that and being super successful...

...then losing to a team across the city in a different division.

Some people care about those instate rankings significantly more than others. 

Father Ryan might be better than Cleveland this year. That will be an interesting match. 

11 hours ago, FR615 said:

Father Ryan might be better than Cleveland this year. That will be an interesting match. 

We will see just how good FR is this year as they are going to both Ironman @ Walsh Jesuit Ohio and Powerade.  Even with all of this being said everyone has began to figure out that no one will really know who is in the FR lineup until the state duals.

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1

Should be a good year filled with a lot of parity!  As Coach Yost said in his State of the Program, TN better watch out!  I suspect we see McCallie, Father Ryan, Baylor, and Lakeway battle it out for a state championship in DII.  This may be Coach DeAngelo's best team he has ever had.  I wouldn't be surprised if they won it this year.  Or McCallie.  I don't think there will be a dominate team in DII.  Cleveland looks to be the class of public schools this year.  

2 hours ago, BobCorker said:

Should be a good year filled with a lot of parity!  As Coach Yost said in his State of the Program, TN better watch out!  I suspect we see McCallie, Father Ryan, Baylor, and Lakeway battle it out for a state championship in DII.  This may be Coach DeAngelo's best team he has ever had.  I wouldn't be surprised if they won it this year.  Or McCallie.  I don't think there will be a dominate team in DII.  Cleveland looks to be the class of public schools this year.  

Mccallie did bring in a ton of talent but most of that is 8th graders. No doubt they will be force in the coming years, but I have a hard time seeing them beating Father Ryan and Baylor this year. 

Some of my sources at McCallie told me they heard the complete opposite. Supposedly Cleveland won't put Baylor on their schedule after they took down that Baylor team a few years ago that had a few of their big guns out with injuries. Cleveland is great, but they aren't and never will be Baylor. Baylor has been the flagship program of the state for the past century.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, littlejohnny said:

Some of my sources at McCallie told me they heard the complete opposite. Supposedly Cleveland won't put Baylor on their schedule after they took down that Baylor team a few years ago that had a few of their big guns out with injuries. Cleveland is great, but they aren't and never will be Baylor. Baylor has been the flagship program of the state for the past century.

hahahahahahahaahhaha

that cannot be a serious comment. We all know that AA is deeper than d2. It takes more to qualify. D2 just gets a pass into their state tourney. 

Cleveland hasn't lost a state championship match since 2017 and has been in every state finals match but 1 since 2009. Baylor wishes. 

The source for what I said about Baylor ducking Cleveland isnt an outside team either...

Edited by Ummmno

I went to tssaasports.com to pull some historical data for you.

Most individual champions

Baylor (117)

McCallie (107)

Father Ryan (102)

Cleveland... 37

Most team state championships

Baylor (19)

Father Ryan (15)

Cleveland... 12

My only point is that I find it hard to believe a boarding school like Baylor or McCallie or even Father Ryan would avoid an in state public school in any sport. Don't kid yourself. If Cleveland wanted to wrestle any of these three, and yes, including Baylor, I promise you they would accept. Even if hypothetically the coach didn't want to I'm sure the AD at one of those schools would make them. 

I do agree with Leo on the fact that the interest in D2 or AA team titles has dwindled because they seem like foregone conclusions. But to say a school like Baylor is dodging a local public school in any sport is ludicrous. 

• Upvote 1