Jeff Miner steps down at HVA

JournalEntry

3 minutes ago, YoungBuck said:

What does hiring him or not have to do with it. You obviously have a problem with Speas yourself. No one expects a person to do what that coach did. The dumpster fire is more than the baseball coach. Take your personal stuff elsewhere 

Hey just reading the room. It says the problems at HVA didn't start in the last 6 months. I don't know him but the school board does. I get my info from Chanel 8.

15 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

He had a 100-48 record. That's probably 3 years or more. Don't keep up with baseball. More than likely Speas hired him. A lot of people trying to prop up Speas. A lot of coaches get out when the principal that hired them is no longer the principal. 

Thought you meant basketball sorry, BB to me means basketball. No the baseball coach was not hired by speas. His leaving has nothing to do with Speas being gone though

14 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

So the problem must have been the teachers or the students.

Problem lies in whiny parents that if they don't get their way, storm the beaches with their pitchforks and whatnot.  This is a 4 alarm dumpster fire with many individual fires.  Speas wasn't the problem.  Miner wasn't the problem.  Baseball coach had a minor problem. And the world will keep spinning, until Starbucks runs out of cream and a Mom has to run to central office to blame someone.

4 hours ago, wompuscat said:

Problem lies in whiny parents that if they don't get their way, storm the beaches with their pitchforks and whatnot.  This is a 4 alarm dumpster fire with many individual fires.  Speas wasn't the problem.  Miner wasn't the problem.  Baseball coach had a minor problem. And the world will keep spinning, until Starbucks runs out of cream and a Mom has to run to central office to blame someone.

Whiny #### parents are a monumental problem in HS sports today. Worse than the kids ever thought about being. Living their best lives vicariously through little Jimmy and Joey.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Whiny #### parents are a monumental problem in HS sports today. Worse than the kids ever thought about being. Living their best lives vicariously through little Jimmy and Joey.

Absolutely!! many years ago, I was thinking about getting into coaching and teaching, and leaving a good job to try that. But listening to the parents even back then allowed me to see the problem with all that. They don't understand how rare the so called D-1 athlete and player is and how few actually get college offers and even fewer than that will ever see the NFL. Most will hang up their cleats after high school. I can only imagine how much worse the parents are now.

When I tried to play in junior high, my Dad told me that he didn't want to hear anything from me complaining about where the coach was playing me etc. "You play where he tells you to play, do what he asks you to do. and if you do it well, you will play" I wasn't very big or very fast and I just wasn't that good, but I was at practice every day and did what the coaches asked me to do, and I finished out the year, but that was it, I knew where I was. 

43 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Absolutely!! many years ago, I was thinking about getting into coaching and teaching, and leaving a good job to try that. But listening to the parents even back then allowed me to see the problem with all that. They don't understand how rare the so called D-1 athlete and player is and how few actually get college offers and even fewer than that will ever see the NFL. Most will hang up their cleats after high school. I can only imagine how much worse the parents are now.

When I tried to play in junior high, my Dad told me that he didn't want to hear anything from me complaining about where the coach was playing me etc. "You play where he tells you to play, do what he asks you to do. and if you do it well, you will play" I wasn't very big or very fast and I just wasn't that good, but I was at practice every day and did what the coaches asked me to do, and I finished out the year, but that was it, I knew where I was. 

Oh, I believe it. Parents were like that in the 90s back when I was playing for OR, so I can only imagine now how bad they are. Your father was a great man sounds like. That’s how parenting should be. Prepare your children well, don’t give them everything they desire, because as we all know, the real world doesn’t work that way, and we hardly ever get what we want. The earlier a child learns that in life, the better off they’ll be in the long run.

On 12/15/2023 at 7:17 AM, wompuscat said:

Whiny parents? Is that not a universal problem somewhat at every high school. And if not then HVA must have the whiniest parents in E. Tennessee. Whiney enough to run off a HC that had made some progress. Did these whiney parents just move in the area and decided to attack HVA athletics. Coach Wes Jones had HVA competitive with it's Knox County opponents. Remember l said competitive, not world beaters. Maybe Coach Jones knew how to handle whiney parents and their kids. Just an honest question.

• Like 1

To say CJM was not the problem may be a stretch. While I wish him the best, the program did not make any strides under him. At least not visible ones.  Sure, parents are whiny and voice their opinions when they probably shouldn’t. But the product wasn’t what it was. HVA can and has been successful. I have faith the next hire will take it there. 

22 hours ago, QuoteTheHawks said:

To say CJM was not the problem may be a stretch. While I wish him the best, the program did not make any strides under him. At least not visible ones.  Sure, parents are whiny and voice their opinions when they probably shouldn’t. But the product wasn’t what it was. HVA can and has been successful. I have faith the next hire will take it there. 

So throw some names out there that you think can get HVA back to competing with the other Knox County Schools and surrounding counties for Ws and players. You have to compete and succeed close to home first if you are going to be successful. Would CWJ come back?