Johnny Drennan '85 Memorial Inv Preview

43 minutes ago, BobCorker said:

Very interesting...  Last year they got 4th and got smoked by Father Ryan and UC the two previous years.  Maybe they came back from PA a little wounded?  Looks like they are taking a page out of Cornell's book and protecting their SE ranking...  Do they drop in the polls since they are literally changing their schedule to avoid good competition? 

I know that I am dating myself, but I have never understood why someone would schedule an event and then cancel.  Even if you have kids not at 100% you can always take the kids that are ready to wrestle.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BobCorker said:

Very interesting...  Last year they got 4th and got smoked by Father Ryan and UC the two previous years.  Maybe they came back from PA a little wounded?  Looks like they are taking a page out of Cornell's book and protecting their SE ranking...  Do they drop in the polls since they are literally changing their schedule to avoid good competition? 

They were never going.

Track auto populates the teams from the year before. They released a schedule in October, and only think that was different, was they added Powerade. They will wrestle Father Ryan 1/12

But im sure with the team they have, they could care less about dropping them in a poll 

2 hours ago, Rasslinking said:

They were never going.

Track auto populates the teams from the year before. They released a schedule in October, and only think that was different, was they added Powerade. They will wrestle Father Ryan 1/12

But im sure with the team they have, they could care less about dropping them in a poll 

Thanks for the clarification @Rasslinking. For those of us who follow and enjoy high school wrestling it would have been fun to see some of the matchups if Cleveland made the Tournament. Also, we know that their program would not dodge anyone in the state of Tennessee like some posters might be insinuating or trolling. 

1 hour ago, SportsTNFan said:

Thanks for the clarification @Rasslinking. For those of us who follow and enjoy high school wrestling it would have been fun to see some of the matchups if Cleveland made the Tournament. Also, we know that their program would not dodge anyone in the state of Tennessee like some posters might be insinuating or trolling. 

For now I’m just hoping to see teams across the country at full strength. Most tournaments I’ve looked at even top teams only have 9-10 wrestlers there, until the other night at Bradley I haven’t seen Soddy put most their starters out on the mat on one night. Maybe since it’s after the new years we start getting more tournaments with full teams fighting it out on the mat. 

I do show this weekend it seems Baylor will be at a duals that has Blair and Valiant Prep out of Arizona. So yeah I’m sure they have been running from other teams lol

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

For now I’m just hoping to see teams across the country at full strength. Most tournaments I’ve looked at even top teams only have 9-10 wrestlers there, until the other night at Bradley I haven’t seen Soddy put most their starters out on the mat on one night. Maybe since it’s after the new years we start getting more tournaments with full teams fighting it out on the mat. 

I do show this weekend it seems Baylor will be at a duals that has Blair and Valiant Prep out of Arizona. So yeah I’m sure they have been running from other teams lol

Baylor is going to get humbled. Blair throws out a nationally ranked kid at every class. Didn’t realize Valiant Prep was there this year. It is disappointing Cleveland decided to stop participating in this tournament.

I agree on not seeing full teams. I have seen very few with all 14 classes even at national tourneys. Mccallie is bringing all 14 to Drennan evidently. 

Edited by FR615

On 1/3/2024 at 3:47 PM, FargoStrut said:

Obviously, this is without seeing any brackets, seeding or knowing what other teams are in this tournament so I'm I'm DEF shootin' from the hip. A private school, Cleveland (if they come), Eastside SC or another outta state kid could throw a wrench in my predictions but her they go.

113- Workman beats all guys listed and it's not close!

126- of guys listed, Jayden Raney majors, techs or pins way to finals, especially if he keeps his foot on the gas pedal. Maybe someone not listed gives him a match.

132- Jarvis/Roark semis match should be a good one. Winner gets Jordyn Raney in finals

138- Is Damen Pullen not here??

144- Desselle wins against Hunter Jenkins from Union Co in finals if Jenkins dont get seeded 4th. Jenkins is as strong as an OX and not a bad wrestler either.

150- Leach and Chancery in the finals

175- semis and finals gonna be fun

190- same as 175, gonna be some men here! 

Workman at 113 will have a very tough match vs Axel Ritchie. 

45 minutes ago, FR615 said:

Baylor is going to get humbled. Blair throws out a nationally ranked kid at every class. Didn’t realize Valiant Prep was there this year. It is disappointing Cleveland decided to stop participating in this tournament.

I agree on not seeing full teams. I have seen very few with all 14 classes even at national tourneys. Mccallie is bringing all 14 to Drennan evidently. 

I do not know, but maybe that Florida trip took the place of going to   Nashville.  Teams do have to make decisions on where to put their resources and days they can wrestle.  

Edited by texas23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texas23 said:

I do not know, but maybe that Florida trip took the place of going to   Nashville.  Teams do have to make decisions on where to put there resources and days they can wrestle.  

Very true

2 hours ago, FR615 said:

yes Baylor will for sure get humbled, the other teams there are also very very tough and are traveling all over the country, so not only do they get beat badly by Blair and Valiant College prep, but there are 1 or 2 more there that might also beat them(Green Farms I think it is) is pretty tough for a Connecticut team and another team from PA. They can show up there if they match up at all to these bigger name schools and show that TN is anywhere close to as good as some teams from up North! 

It does suck for sure. I know it was none of Clevelands fault but a few of those tournaments they finished ahead of some nationally ranked teams(the Carnahan and Florida Knockout tourney) none of the nationally ranked teams that finished behind them had a full lineup. Not sure what is wrong with Buford but they had like 9 and just did finish behind Cleveland and South Dade who I don’t think I’ve seen as ranked was right behind them and only had 12 kids in their scoring. That’s why I never take team scores into account at an individual tourney, beat them head to head in a dual and it’s a show of strength for sure.  

• Upvote 1