Johnny Drennan '85 Memorial Inv Preview

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

yes Baylor will for sure get humbled, the other teams there are also very very tough and are traveling all over the country, so not only do they get beat badly by Blair and Valiant College prep, but there are 1 or 2 more there that might also beat them(Green Farms I think it is) is pretty tough for a Connecticut team and another team from PA. They can show up there if they match up at all to these bigger name schools and show that TN is anywhere close to as good as some teams from up North! 

It does suck for sure. I know it was none of Clevelands fault but a few of those tournaments they finished ahead of some nationally ranked teams(the Carnahan and Florida Knockout tourney) none of the nationally ranked teams that finished behind them had a full lineup. Not sure what is wrong with Buford but they had like 9 and just did finish behind Cleveland and South Dade who I don’t think I’ve seen as ranked was right behind them and only had 12 kids in their scoring. That’s why I never take team scores into account at an individual tourney, beat them head to head in a dual and it’s a show of strength for sure.  

Baylor has dualed Blair 3 or 4 times recently.  They always get handled but they keep going back for more. I think they know what they are getting into... They went up to Blair's home gym a few years ago and won 1 match.  Perhaps they are masochist or perhaps they just like wrestling good teams. They went 4-1 at this event last year including a win over the PA team. Baylor seems to be down this year and the tournament is harder, so I wouldn't expect them to replicate that record. At least they are wrestling other prep teams.  Makes for some good individual match ups. 

It is amazing how many good teams are having a hard time filling their lineup.  I think high school should have switched to 12 weights.  Duals would be faster and there would be less forfeits.  14 is way too many for high school. 

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, BobCorker said:

Baylor has dualed Blair 3 or 4 times recently.  They always get handled but they keep going back for more. I think they know what they are getting into... They went up to Blair's home gym a few years ago and won 1 match.  Perhaps they are masochist or perhaps they just like wrestling good teams. They went 4-1 at this event last year including a win over the PA team. Baylor seems to be down this year and the tournament is harder, so I wouldn't expect them to replicate that record. At least they are wrestling other prep teams.  Makes for some good individual match ups. 

It is amazing how many good teams are having a hard time filling their lineup.  I think high school should have switched to 12 weights.  Duals would be faster and there would be less forfeits.  14 is way too many for high school. 

Yeah, they most likely go 3-2 this year which is still good, you don’t get better if you don’t wrestle better competition! It’s one reason I would laugh at anyone that said that Baylor was ducking Cleveland and not wrestling a dual when they don’t shy away from any competition. Just couldn’t be worked out it seems. 

3 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Yeah, they most likely go 3-2 this year which is still good, you don’t get better if you don’t wrestle better competition! It’s one reason I would laugh at anyone that said that Baylor was ducking Cleveland and not wrestling a dual when they don’t shy away from any competition. Just couldn’t be worked out it seems. 

I would go so far to say that any of the better teams in Tennessee like Cleveland or Baylor should not wrestle against each other in a dual match until the later part of January.  With kids just getting out of football early in the season along with the weight reduction plan you really don’t get a very good representation of each team in December.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Never know......we took a scrappy team up to an event like that......won all except a loss to Blair by 3.

8 hours ago, cbg said:

I would go so far to say that any of the better teams in Tennessee like Cleveland or Baylor should not wrestle against each other in a dual match until the later part of January.  With kids just getting out of football early in the season along with the weight reduction plan you really don’t get a very good representation of each team in December.

oh for sure, we have all seen that dual results for early season can mean nothing by the time Feb rolls around. By end of Jan and early Feb most all teams are set with their kids at their weights and you just have to hope for no injuries at that point or sickness. 

6 hours ago, RMC said:

Never know......we took a scrappy team up to an event like that......won all except a loss to Blair by 3.

That Collins Hill team was loaded! Baylor is weak 106-113 and 190-285. They have some good wrestlers but will be lucky to improve on last years score. 

1 hour ago, FR615 said:

The Raney brothers are tough! Pinned one of the Mccallie “8th graders” fast. 

When will Tran be back in Father Ryan’s lineup? 

I was told that he may not be back until the individual region

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FargoStrut said:

Well...gonna go out on a massive oak limb, make a prediction and say our 113 rankings gonna have a change next week. Not @ 1, but right behind there.

That one has been a curiosity to me for some time. I thought 2/3 should be flipped, although a 7-4 match was closer than I thought it’d be. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FargoStrut said:

Well...gonna go out on a massive oak limb, make a prediction and say our 113 rankings gonna have a change next week. Not @ 1, but right behind there.

Drew should’ve already been higher than 3. He’s been disrespected all year in the rankings.