TN MS Athletic Association

MCbobcats

It's definitely all about the money. I once worked at a middle school in West Tn and helped with athletics and due to the catastrophic insurance per player for football our fee was very high a couple of years. Also, the public schools in our area do not participate and a few of the smaller county schools around us don't either.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:45 AM, Waker said:

It’s a money grab and I’ve talked to many of the schools in west Tn that hate they ever got involved.

Then they need to do what we (Henderson Co,) did, and drop them. We evaluated the benefits vs. the detriments and decided that we're much better off without their restrictions. The deciding factor for us was the practice and game restrictions imposed...our intent is to enable our middle school athletes to improve, and we felt that limiting practices and the number of games played per season was hampering that. Most think that without an association it's a free for all regarding rules and order, but each system sets their own guidelines, and are free to be as liberal or as strict as they desire.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Then they need to do what we (Henderson Co,) did, and drop them. We evaluated the benefits vs. the detriments and decided that we're much better off without their restrictions. The deciding factor for us was the practice and game restrictions imposed...our intent is to enable our middle school athletes to improve, and we felt that limiting practices and the number of games played per season was hampering that. Most think that without an association it's a free for all regarding rules and order, but each system sets their own guidelines, and are free to be as liberal or as strict as they desire.

You are correct and I’m sure that the high school coaches in Henderson county are thrilled that the system they have chosen is to be done with middle school basketball before Christmas break.  

10 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I hear Jackson Madison County was going to do this, but administration wanted to still go by the TMSAA rules, but the coaches did not agree, so they went ahead and joined again. 

1 hour ago, Bkbfan4ever said:

You are correct and I’m sure that the high school coaches in Henderson county are thrilled that the system they have chosen is to be done with middle school basketball before Christmas break.  

I get the sarcasm, but with the new Director mandatory change is coming county wide. The current scheduling is a remainder of the "system" that followed TMSAA's direction about total games played in a season. Two of our middle schools have already broken with our "traditional" round robin 7 team home and home + tournament format and taken the initiative to expand their schedule's on their own, with both making multiple appearances at the James C. Haile tournament...came up just short of a title @ South Side year before last after Scotts Hill winning one and finishing second once earlier. If two of the seven have had success simply by putting forth more effort, that speaks volumes for the direction we should go.

It's easy enough to say "they won't let us do more"...but it's not too difficult to drop them and try to be better.

19 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Always.  But seriously I dread this time of year. When the SuperBowl is over until scrimmages come in late July is a depressing time for me. Gotta keep myself amused some how. 

Get out of the house and enjoy some of these other great high school sports