Cookeville Cavs

LadyCavsFan

4 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

I had no idea and had to look it up.  It was 1954 and they were 0-1 that year.   The last time I remember them being close to a substate/sectional game was in 2017 or 2018.  We upset the #1 seed Cleveland team and then lost a heartbreaker to East Hamilton that year.  It’s been a minute.  

@UCSportsFan Did they still use peach baskets in 1954?  

That was even before my time so I couldn’t say lol

I been around here a long time and I can’t ever remember Cookeville playing in a sectional/sub state game.  So I sure have not seen them at a state tournament.  Last thing some of you younger ones might not know is that the state tournament has not always been held in Murfreesboro.  When I was in high school it was at Vanderbilt.  I was told before my time it alternated sites from West, Middle. and East Tennessee.

Well everyone thought it would be a good game.  Even had it on the My30 TV channel but the Cavs had other plans.  Cookeville blows Siegel out of gym last night.  It was over early.  I read somewhere that they had (13) 3s through the first 3 quarters.  Not sure how many they made total but I think it was around 15 and I believe they shot around 70% from 3 last night.  They have so many great shooters.   Punched their ticket to a sectional last night and face 7AAAA foe Lavergne for a fourth time for the Region championship.  

4 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Well everyone thought it would be a good game.  Even had it on the My30 TV channel but the Cavs had other plans.  Cookeville blows Siegel out of gym last night.  It was over early.  I read somewhere that they had (13) 3s through the first 3 quarters.  Not sure how many they made total but I think it was around 15 and I believe they shot around 70% from 3 last night.  They have so many great shooters.   Punched their ticket to a sectional last night and face 7AAAA foe Lavergne for a fourth time for the Region championship.  

Hopefully they can win and host a substate. I remember them going to substate once but cannot remember when Cookeville hosted one so let’s go Cavs!

On 2/3/2024 at 7:32 PM, UCSportsFan said:

A lot of talent for only 5 spots available. I could see a transfer or two, to the other school in Putnam County in the near future. Especially if they could get a chance to play with Cobb and a legit shot at winning a state title. May not happen but I won’t be shocked if it does. 

Cobb-Chaffin duo is the best I have seen in the area as under classman. Unreal what they will be for the next two seasons together. 

2 hours ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Cobb-Chaffin duo is the best I have seen in the area as under classman. Unreal what they will be for the next two seasons together. 

Cobb made a believer out of the fans from Stone last night that’s for sure. That was the last game where anyone can say that Cobb isn’t the best player in 7AAA. Stone has a nice scorer on their team but going forward and until he graduates Ty Cobb is the best player in 7AAA. Chaffin is a stud and will be a force down low for 2 more years after this one. Upperman is loaded with talent from 5th to 12th. It’s about to show up and show out!

3 hours ago, Volsfan52 said:

Why does Cookeville and Upperman not play in basketbal?

When they did play, Upperman embarrassed Cookeville on the gridiron and while it wouldn’t be nearly as bad in basketball this year but most years Upperman would win on the boys side and about 50/50 on the girls side. 

Edited by UCSportsFan

2 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

When they did play, Upperman embarrassed Cookeville on the gridiron and while it wouldn’t be nearly as bad in basketball this year but most years Upperman would win on the boys side and about 50/50 on the girls side. 

I think if you look back a few years you will see that it was Cookeville doing the butt kicking most of the years on the Gridiron.  And those were not very good Cookeville teams.  People tend to forget that….

https://www.coacht.com/tennessee/inside/game.cfm?eventid=701987

it would be close on basketball over the last 5 years with a slight Cookeville edge on the girls side.   Upperman would have had an edge going back further.  Upperman boys would have been favored in same time frame (until this year).