Cookeville Cavs

LadyCavsFan

On 2/3/2024 at 7:32 PM, UCSportsFan said:

A lot of talent for only 5 spots available. I could see a transfer or two, to the other school in Putnam County in the near future. Especially if they could get a chance to play with Cobb and a legit shot at winning a state title. May not happen but I won’t be shocked if it does. 

I don't really disagree with anything you've said here but just want to make an observation.  

I think statements like these could be what ruffles some feathers in the CHS community at times.  The phrase "legit shot" might be true, and would probably be agreed with by many especially if using it to imply 4A basketball is even harder for a rural school (even one with 2200 kids) to win in.        

I think some might take it as a shot at coaching, or the kids in general (and i'm sure you aren't implying that).    

Sadly , CHS was done a disservice when the powers that be decided to make it a huge school.  This means ultimately now that they have to drive an hour to find a district opponent.  And it means they have to play other huge schools that aren't as "rural" to get to the glass house. 

(BTW, i'm not saying baxter has it easy either..especially in 3A now.  Clearly they've built a winning culture there.)

Hopefully this team can break the mold and do something no CHS boys team has ever done.   Go Cavs. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alumn89 said:

I don't really disagree with anything you've said here but just want to make an observation.  

I think statements like these could be what ruffles some feathers in the CHS community at times.  The phrase "legit shot" might be true, and would probably be agreed with by many especially if using it to imply 4A basketball is even harder for a rural school (even one with 2200 kids) to win in.        

I think some might take it as a shot at coaching, or the kids in general (and i'm sure you aren't implying that).    

Sadly , CHS was done a disservice when the powers that be decided to make it a huge school.  This means ultimately now that they have to drive an hour to find a district opponent.  And it means they have to play other huge schools that aren't as "rural" to get to the glass house. 

(BTW, i'm not saying baxter has it easy either..especially in 3A now.  Clearly they've built a winning culture there.)

Hopefully this team can break the mold and do something no CHS boys team has ever done.   Go Cavs. 

It was in no way a slight to the coaches at Cookeville high school. Coach Hurd and his staff do an amazing job. You make a lot of really good points and they are spot on in my estimation.  I think if Cookeville had an inside presence they could compete with anybody in the state.  Cobb is a generational type of player. He makes everyone around him better as I’m sure you know.  That is where my argument for a legit shot at winning a state title came from. Upperman is loaded with talent I would say just as much talent after this year as Cookeville will have.  And you add a smaller classification to the mix and it’s an easier road in my opinion. 

Edited by UCSportsFan
  • Like 1

I am a Cookeville high school alumni. I always hope they do well except if they play Upperman. My kids go to Upperman. The thing that makes Upperman better is the support in the community. I’m not saying they’re better players. I’m just saying the support is better from the whole community. I think it’s a disgrace that more people from Cookeville do not show up for the games. It is standing room only at Upperman every game, and if we had more seating it would still be full. I love the support those kids get and deserve. That’s the one thing that Cookeville people need to learn how to do is to support their team better. Good luck to the Cavs. I hope they win it all. Boys and girls.

2 hours ago, Beeman said:

I am a Cookeville high school alumni. I always hope they do well except if they play Upperman. My kids go to Upperman. The thing that makes Upperman better is the support in the community. I’m not saying they’re better players. I’m just saying the support is better from the whole community. I think it’s a disgrace that more people from Cookeville do not show up for the games. It is standing room only at Upperman every game, and if we had more seating it would still be full. I love the support those kids get and deserve. That’s the one thing that Cookeville people need to learn how to do is to support their team better. Good luck to the Cavs. I hope they win it all. Boys and girls.

I agree there needs to be more support.  But it starts with alumni.  I used to think it was because the teams weren’t good.  But these two teams aren’t just good. They are amazing!   

• 2 weeks later...

Cookeville is still rolling with a huge game on the horizon in second round of region.  I don’t think Cookeville or Siegel will be happy about facing each other in a knock out game.  But with Siegel getting upset in district final, that puts what could have been a region final game in the second round.  But if your goal is a gold ball you have to beat alot of really good teams on your way.  And unfortunately a really good team is going home early.  Let’s go Cavs!

1 hour ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Cookeville is still rolling with a huge game on the horizon in second round of region.  I don’t think Cookeville or Siegel will be happy about facing each other in a knock out game.  But with Siegel getting upset in district final, that puts what could have been a region final game in the second round.  But if your goal is a gold ball you have to beat alot of really good teams on your way.  And unfortunately a really good team is going home early.  Let’s go Cavs!

Pulling for the Cavs!

1 hour ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Cavs have the better team but they will need to come ready to play.

11 minutes ago, crow6424 said:

Cavs have the better team but they will need to come ready to play.

I totally agree.  After first round of region they better be ready to play every single night or they could go home.  But to give them credit there hasn't been many nights they haven't brought their A game.  

The match we thought we would see in the final is now set for a knock out game Tuesday night.

Cookeville handles Rockvale by 20.  The game was close the first half but the Cavs finally got 10 some good in rhythm looks to get the offense rolling and the Cav D finally stopped giving up easy layups in the 3rd to pull away.  For the first time I can remember this season, the Cav defense was trash.  That’s a little concerning but I am sure they will fix that before next game. 

Siegel appears  to have struggled with Lebanon which is a shocking.  It was a 3 pt game late in the 4th.  The Stars go on a 10-0 run and pull away.  Lebanon has not been very good in their matchups vs Cookeville so it was surprising that this game was close.  Maybe the Stars were looking to the next round.

Cookeville vs Siegel Tuesday night in Oakland might be the best game in the state.  A win Tuesday will put the Cavs in the final and may put them in another matchup vs a Lavergne team that is playing very well. 

13 minutes ago, LadyCavsFan said:

The match we thought we would see in the final is now set for a knock out game Tuesday night.

Cookeville handles Rockvale by 20.  The game was close the first half but the Cavs finally got 10 some good in rhythm looks to get the offense rolling and the Cav D finally stopped giving up easy layups in the 3rd to pull away.  For the first time I can remember this season, the Cav defense was trash.  That’s a little concerning but I am sure they will fix that before next game. 

Siegel appears  to have struggled with Lebanon which is a shocking.  It was a 3 pt game late in the 4th.  The Stars go on a 10-0 run and pull away.  Lebanon has not been very good in their matchups vs Cookeville so it was surprising that this game was close.  Maybe the Stars were looking to the next round.

Cookeville vs Siegel Tuesday night in Oakland might be the best game in the state.  A win Tuesday will put the Cavs in the final and may put them in another matchup vs a Lavergne team that is playing very well. 

I hope they come ready to play and make a run to the state. When is the last time the Cavs went to the glass house?

42 minutes ago, crow6424 said:

I hope they come ready to play and make a run to the state. When is the last time the Cavs went to the glass house?

I had no idea and had to look it up.  It was 1954 and they were 0-1 that year.   The last time I remember them being close to a substate/sectional game was in 2017 or 2018.  We upset the #1 seed Cleveland team and then lost a heartbreaker to East Hamilton that year.  It’s been a minute.  

@UCSportsFan Did they still use peach baskets in 1954?