Ridiculous - 4 team districts

MCbobcats

5 minutes ago, crazzyness said:

Baseball plays double elimination tournaments, that's why they only have two advance.. Don't get me wrong, I'd be ok with only taking two teams while playing a double elimination format, but I'm not sure alot of folks would get behind the added two nights it would take to accomplish that (without having teams play two games in a night, which I don't like in basketball). 

I say if we're going to play with 4 classifications, only take the top 3 teams from a district tournament, and make both the consolation (elimination) and championship (1st round by) games mean something. 

Well said. I would be for that in baseball too. Only because there were many years Hampton finished third in the district LOL :mrgreen:

21 hours ago, dogtruth said:

Well said. I would be for that in baseball too. Only because there were many years Hampton finished third in the district LOL :mrgreen:

The more I think about it, a double elimination style, only two teams advance type district tournament in basketball sounds better. 

You remember how exciting district tournaments USED to be?? I remember when A would straight up pack Milligan. AAA at Central used to have folks sitting in the rafters. AA would fill Treadway Gymnasium. It's not like that anymore. Aside from the game where Unaka's boys pooped the bed against Cloudland, the areas district tournaments were devoid of all any and all excitement this year, except for AA. Part of the reason for that is A and AAAA had NO elimination games. Everybody advances anyway. AAA only had one, and I think everyone knew Elizabethton's boys weren't going to advance. 

District tournaments with more games and more teams being eliminated would, in theory, mean more excitement. Every game after the opening round would mean something to someone. And the extra days it would take to do this would be somewhat offset by Regions being one less round.

Just a thought. 

(btw @dogtruth part of the reasoning for taking only two to regions in baseball is now that the Regional tournament is a nice, square, double elimination tournament. Last year was the 1st year of that, and I think it worked out extremely well, especially after 20 years of single pitcher teams throwing their ace in both win or go home games (Monday region semi-final, Friday or Saturday substate.)  

Edited by crazzyness

43 minutes ago, crazzyness said:

The more I think about it, a double elimination style, only two teams advance type district tournament in basketball sounds better. 

You remember how exciting district tournaments USED to be?? I remember when A would straight up pack Milligan. AAA at Central used to have folks sitting in the rafters. AA would fill Treadway Gymnasium. It's not like that anymore. Aside from the game where Unaka's boys pooped the bed against Cloudland, the areas district tournaments were devoid of all any and all excitement except for AA. Part of the reason for that is A and AAAA had NO elimination games. Everybody advances anyway. AAA only had one, and I think everyone knew Elizabethton's boys weren't going to advance. 

District tournaments with more games and more teams being eliminated would, in theory, mean more excitement. Every game after the opening game would mean something to someone. And the extra days it would take to do this would be somewhat offset by Regions being one less round.

Just a thought. 

(btw @dogtruth part of the reasoning for taking only two to regions in baseball is now that the Regional tournament is a nice, square, double elimination tournament. Last year was the 1st year of that, and I think it worked out extremely well, especially after 20 years of single pitcher teams throwing their ace in both win or go home games (Monday region semi-final, Friday or Saturday substate.)  

Ah yes. Back when the rivalries were hot.  Lady Landers reading the newspaper while NG was being introduced lol.  Who can forget that.  Back when a young king was trolling the T and stirring the pot

On 2/24/2024 at 2:04 PM, dogtruth said:

I say do it like football lose you're done. That's what playoffs/post-season tournament is win and move on. 

2 hours ago, Classless said:

I say do it like football lose you're done. That's what playoffs/post-season tournament is win and move on. 

If you do it like football, there would not be a district tournament. Football begins with region play when the playoffs begin.  I also like this idea  because the regular season would mean something. The way you  finished in your conference play would determine how the region would be seeded. Again this will not happen ever because not enough money for the TSSAA

The baseball postseason style is the best because the district tournament means something. Also, the regular season during the baseball season is highly meaningful due to seeding to get in the tournament. But the region is also highly crucial due to pitching strategy.

Problem with basketball is the district tournament is basically useless, which means the regular season is useless in a way.

Honestly, I don't think the TSSAA cares about the district tournament. I don't think it's mandatory in a way. I believe they just want the "4 teams and their seedings" and play ball. Football is the only sport where they need the regular season for postseason play.

On 2/23/2024 at 10:11 PM, MCbobcats said:

Teams tank in district consolation games a lot to avoid best team in their district until the finals where they can lose and play again.  Until they make the consolation game meaningful or reseed after the first round of regional it will continue 

Bad teams might do that but Upperman is not a bad team.  Teams like Tullahoma concern themselves with district championships and are happy to be in region play where our girls see the bigger picture of Murfreesboro as an accomplishment.  Upperman is not afraid of anyone and Coach does not tank games 

2 hours ago, Basketball44Guru said:

Bad teams might do that but Upperman is not a bad team.  Teams like Tullahoma concern themselves with district championships and are happy to be in region play where our girls see the bigger picture of Murfreesboro as an accomplishment.  Upperman is not afraid of anyone and Coach does not tank games 

I didn’t say they did.  Don’t have a clue about anything about Upperman or anyone there.  I just know that there have been and there will be teams that tank under the direction of their coach as long as the current system stays as is. 

Just now, MCbobcats said:

I didn’t say they did.  Don’t have a clue about anything about Upperman or anyone there.  I just know that there have been and there will be teams that tank under the direction of their coach as long as the current system stays as is. That includes good and bad teams 

On 2/25/2024 at 8:23 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

The baseball postseason style is the best because the district tournament means something. Also, the regular season during the baseball season is highly meaningful due to seeding to get in the tournament. But the region is also highly crucial due to pitching strategy.

Problem with basketball is the district tournament is basically useless, which means the regular season is useless in a way.

Honestly, I don't think the TSSAA cares about the district tournament. I don't think it's mandatory in a way. I believe they just want the "4 teams and their seedings" and play ball. Football is the only sport where they need the regular season for postseason play.

I have to confess that I'm as lost as last year's Easter egg with your comparison between baseball and basketball... you say that baseball does it best and everything before regionals in basketball is useless when it's exactly the same format. Regular season record seeds teams for district tournament play, and tournament results seed the teams from both districts for regional matchups.

On 2/23/2024 at 9:08 PM, Khall555 said:

Check out Pickett vs Knowledge Academy 

Knowledge Female Tigers will be good in time. Pickett Bobcats get beat like that score in football all the time. If you give these new schools time they will eventually get good. Especially the magnet and charter type schools. I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

6 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I have to confess that I'm as lost as last year's Easter egg with your comparison between baseball and basketball... you say that baseball does it best and everything before regionals in basketball is useless when it's exactly the same format. Regular season record seeds teams for district tournament play, and tournament results seed the teams from both districts for regional matchups.

Maybe I should've done a better job of explaining as to why the baseball format is the best. Basketball is more of a "put 8 minutes on the clock, roll the ball out, and play."

The reason why I think baseball is more interesting is due to pitching strategy. If you go based on the district your team is in, one of the teams between Riverside, Adamsville, and Scotts Hill will make to the spring fling. You can even guarantee that two of those teams will make it based on the current format for this district/region in postseason play. I don't remember the seeding of y'alls district tournament last year, but the 1 seed would've played the winner of Bolivar/Madison (play in game) while the 2/3 seed would play each other. Therefore, the 2/3 game would likely used a #1 pitcher, where as the #1 seed would get the benefit of playing a team that already played a game, which assuming they would used their #1 pitcher already because of a single elimination game (Bolivar/Madison). Also, the home team gets the benefit of the last at bat.

The previous format for region play was the Monday (elimination game), Wednesday, and Friday (sub state game) format. What we witnessed was teams would used their #1 pitcher for that Monday game, may go number #3 pitcher for the Wednesday game (not an elimination game), but will used their #1/#2 pitchers for the sub state game on that Friday.

In the current format, the emphasis is more on a "pitching staff" and teams would burn their #1 in an opening regional tournament game, which is now not an elimination game. The strategy of how pitching, to me, is better. I hope that make sense!