Micheal Dodgen at Smith Co.?

FabulousFreebird

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know as I write this that it will probably be censored or erased completely but I'm going to write it anyway.

First of all, congratulations to the Smith County girls on a well deserved victory tonight. You came back from a large deficit and won convincingly and for that you should be commended.

Yet the display put on by Coach Dodgen during the ball game may be the most unprofessional display by a coach that I've seen in a long time. I understand that he was excited for his kids and he deserved to be, however a coach should not act in any way to embarrass the other team at any time. I don't care if a coach has won two games in his career or two hundred, he should act like a professional. Anyone that responds to this will say that all of this is sour grapes and to some extent you may be right, but noone saw any of the other three coaches tonight jumping up and down at the top of the key, or waving his arms up and down, playing to the crowd during timeouts. Hopefully as he matures as a coach, he will remove this aspect from his repetoire because I believe that SC has a good one in him. He showed he can coach a little tonight by keeping his team in the ball game after falling behind. I just think he needs to tone down his act (and from talking with some of the Carthage parents and fans after the games tonight, they expressed some of these same sentiments).

[Edited by UncleStimpy on 12-20-02 11:43P]

Posted by UncleStimpy:

I know as I write this that it will probably be censored or erased completely but I'm going to write it anyway.

First of all, congratulations to the Smith County girls on a well deserved victory tonight. You came back from a large deficit and won convincingly and for that you should be commended.

Yet the display put on by Coach Dodgen during the ball game may be the most unprofessional display by a coach that I've seen in a long time. I understand that he was excited for his kids and he deserved to be, however a coach should not act in any way to embarrass the other team at any time. I don't care if a coach has won two games in his career or two hundred, he should act like a professional. Anyone that responds to this will say that all of this is sour grapes and to some extent you may be right, but noone saw any of the other three coaches tonight jumping up and down at the top of the key, or waving his arms up and down, playing to the crowd during timeouts. Hopefully as he matures as a coach, he will remove this aspect from his repetoire because I believe that SC has a good one in him. He showed he can coach a little tonight by keeping his team in the ball game after falling behind. I just think he needs to tone down his act (and from talking with some of the Carthage parents and fans after the games tonight, they expressed some of these same sentiments).

[Edited by UncleStimpy on 12-20-02 11:43P]

I didn't go to the game, so I don't know what he did. He is just a coach that gets into the game and shows a lot of emotion. Heck, I like that. You have a very good coach that does the same thing. I don't have a problem with that. I love to see the emotion he exerts. It fires his team up. They have been a doormat long enough. They are only going to get better as the season progresses under Coach Dodger's (Tennessean spelling) leadership. He is a fine young coach. I personally don't care if he turns cartwheels on the bench. I am 100% sure he meant no disrespect to your fine young ladies (most of whom I know and think a lot of).

I compare it to the same thing commentators say about guys that dance after touchdowns. Act like you've been there before. I think he has the potential to be a very good coach, but antics like last night will come back to haunt him somewhere down the road. He should take a few lessons about professionalism from the boy's coach at SC.

Coach Dodgen has done that all year he just keeps the crowd into the games. I don't think he dod anything wrong last night at the game, he just showed a lot of emotion, for a team that no one thought could beat Grodansville one time, whether you are form Carthage or Gordonsville I really do not care, he has done a great job and worked really hard to get the most out of his girls don;t be mad if he gets excited.

How many Smith County games have you been to this year anyway? If that was the only one then fine but he has been active like that all year that is his personality.

Also all parents and fans that are around at every game like his emotions for the game and how he keeps everyone excited and upbeat about the game and he does not sit down after the first two points of the game like the old coach did. Yes he may get over excited sometimes or whatever but if that;s how he coaches leave him alone. He did nothing to any parents, players or fans of gordonsville unlike what the fans of gordonsville had to say but I guess that was okay what they yell out right.

Also is this what you guys will complain about now and say that is why Smith County won because the coach was excited and keep his team fired up during the whole game and not quit coaching, because after the first game it was that the refs cheated and won the game for SCHS.

Good win Owlettes and Owls but do not be satisfied and carry this victory on to more wins.

Have a Merry Christmas ;)