Lebron James...

QueenBee

Posted by Predator:

You make an excellent point, but still, I just don't agree with the fact that athletes can go to the NBA directly out of high school...I just sorta think that takes something away from the accomplishments of the other players who went through college.

I don't agree with the fact that Bill Gates has the money he has without finishing college.

Would you turn down that contract to play for free? If so, you're an idiot, quite frankly, and if not, you're a hypocrite. Take your pick.

Posted by Predator:

Look at Kobe Bryant. The thing that most people recognize is the fact that he came out of high school straight into the pros. A player coming straight out of high school into the NBA is impressive, but I don't think that necessarily makes them a better player than someone who went to college and played. In all honesty, Kobe is the only player to come out of high school who achieved the success he was touted for.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? Let me rephrase my statement a minute ago. If yes, you're a hypocrite and still an idiot.

Tracy McGrady hasn't met his hype? What more than three straight years of more than 26 ppg, including 30 this year, do you want? Kevin Garnett hasn't? I guess six straight years of more than 20, 10, and 5 assists is terrible. Oh yeah...what was that Jermaine O'Neal hasn't? I guess back-to-back 20 and 10 years doesn't measure up to the hype he got, which wasn't that much.

Aside from Leon Smith, name two first-round picks from HS who has been in the league for more than three years and not turned into a good player. Two. And I'll give you Jonathan Bender, who isn't far from being good.

Oh yeah, one more thing...you're saying all James does is shoot? Have you actually watched him? His passing ability may be the best part of his game!

[Edited by Opperman on 1-17-03 11:17P]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predator... you've made the most logical post on this subject all week! I'm giving you a good mark! Education is the best thing any man can have. It's better than money, and if he uses his education and doesn't have too many vices, he can build and maintain a small fortune with it.

okay i have one thing to say, COLLEGE IF NOT FOR EVERYBODY. to all of you people who talk about there college degrees and there doctorates, then congratulations im sure you all worked hard and now its paying off for you. But, to me i think a man that mops floors that got his GED in high school can have more pride and integrity than a rich educated one. basically what im getting to is that everybody has a decision after high school to either go to college, or start working. some people that go to college and get a degree end up working at a restaurant as a waiter/waitresses with people that dont have a college degree, does this make the person with a college degree a better person than someone without the degree? NO, it just make them different, because they wanted to extend their education after high school. And here is something else i dont understand, this week two UT football players left early, Jason Witten and Kelly Washington. Not to mention tons of other college players in all sports that leave early to go pro. what is the difference between them and lebron james? they are closer to getting their degree than he is? well thats BS, chances are the majority of the people on here dont know half of what its like to have a childhood like lebron james has had, and the fact that ur going to criticize him for making his own decision to go and make a career for himself? then you all need to jus quit posting threads on here, cause even those that say he needs to go to college, do you really think he is going to stay for 4 years and get his education? u really think he is going to wait 4 years when he has the chance to get his mom into a safe neighborhood as well as know that him and his mom and (future) family will be well provided for? so to whoever gave out all those stats about how 97% of the children of the people who have college educations also get college educations, well all of that is pointless cause pretty sure less than 1% of these people are the #1 pick in the NBA. so to those who think education is better than money, or vice versa need to realize that none of us have been in his shoes and been through what hes been through and once again, COLLEGE Is NOT FOR EVERYONE and im not even talkin about that from an athletic point of view.

So you, ELA, are saying you'd turn down 55 million dollars to go to college and do the same thing in college that the person giving you 55 MILLION dollars wants you to and you can still go to college during your off time? Is there ANYONE here that graduated from college and is a psychiatrist? ELA needs some serious mental evaluation.

Oh yeah, this just in, LeBron James, aside from basktball tips from the greatest, Michael Jordan, he has also given LeBron James advice on how to manage his money and who to ask for more advice. The last I saw, Michael Jordan has handled his money quite well, even among rumors that he was gambling his fortunes away. From what some of you say, LeBron James is dumb as a rock and has no chance. If you really believe that, then why should he waste his time going to college? I even wish to you ELA the best that life has to offer. I just hope you don't let it pass you by unless you have finished college. Remember...you shouldn't take advantage of an opportunity until you finish college.

I don't think any young person should be eligible to be drafted for a professional sport until they turn 21 years of age. They are not mature enough to handle a lot of adult situations that they would be placed in. The media attention is ruining the attitudes of high school athletes towards "TEAM" sports.

Posted by DrCross:

I don't think any young person should be eligible to be drafted for a professional sport until they turn 21 years of age. They are not mature enough to handle a lot of adult situations that they would be placed in. The media attention is ruining the attitudes of high school athletes towards "TEAM" sports.

I don't think any young person should be eligible to go to college until they turn 21 years of age. They are not mature enough to handle a lot of adult situations that they would be placed in.

Please tell me that your abreviated name is just an alias on this board. Because if it, Dr., is real then you wasted ten years of COLLEGE education. What about baseball, tennis, hockey, golf, and many other sports where you can go the the pros even before graduation from high school. And putting restrictions on an 18 year old adult? Oh okay, you can be mature enough go to war for your country, but you can't be mature enough to go PRO. HA again!! :)

This is basically a repost from the "DC Scores Bigtime" Thread...i apologize for those who have read it there. I added a little thought about whether he should go to college or head straight to the NBA.

I find it highly ironic that the same people putting this kid in the spotlight (ESPN, SI, newspapers, etc.)and making major $$$ selling this kid are the same ones making such a big deal that he's driving around in a Hummer. Frankly, I think its pathetic that this kid's talent is being used to sell TV time, magazine and newspaper ad space, inflated priced tickets to arenas, and even PPV buys and now people are upset that HE is using his own talent to get something for himself. You hear the word Amateur being thrown around by all these pundits....yet these same people have no problem making money off this Amateur. So everyone else can use the name and talent of Lebron James to enrich themselves yet he cannot? I personally laugh out loud everytime i hear some alleged "sports expert" saying that Lebron James driving a Hummer financed by a loan his Mother took out is the end of Amateur athletics as we know it. The bank loaned the $$$ based on his future potential earnings....and between his NBA contract, shoe contract, and other ad revenue he will be making plenty. Enjoy your Hummer Lebron....enjoy flaunting this in the face of the media...enjoy seeing the hypocrisy of people using your name to make money complain that you too are using your name to enjoy life a little more. People will be making $$$ off of you for as long as you can shoot a basketball....then they will ride off into the sunset once you are gone....waxing poetically about how you just didnt understand the way a high school kid should present himself....all the while spending the money you helped put in their pocket.

As for skipping college and going straight to the NBA ..you strike while the iron is hot. No way you risk a career ending injury just to satisfy a few people who say you need a college education to survive. If managed correctly... this kid will never have to worry about $$$ for the rest of his life after the NBA draft.

[Edited by Teddavid on 1-18-03 10:58A]