Bench press

Justadad

plyometrics! that is where it's at. speed, quickness, power, and strength can be obtained through an hour of plyometrics three times a week. this type of training should be done in the offseason, and this type of training supercedes weight training. however, lifting weights is also good in the offseason but not as important as plyometrics. a good weight lifting program would be from december till around the beginning of spring practice. for example, squats, powercleans, deadlifts, and leg presses on monday; bench presses, military presses, uprightrows, and dumbell presses on wednesday; pullups, seated-pulley-rows, bent-over-rows, and lat-pulldowns on friday. this is all a football player needs as for as weight training. each set should be done to failure--about 80% of his maximum lift--he should fail between 5-10 reps on each set. let me stress again, this part of training is secondary to plyometrics.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JPATS5, Now things could have changed since I did my research in plyometrics. But, they should not be done 3 days a week for an hour a day. Plyos put a huge amount of stress on the nervous system. It takes awhile for the muscles to recover. Plyos should be done 1 day a week and maybe 2 if you are already in great shape. If done correctly they will not help much with strength. A workout should be limited to 150-200 jumps (of various types) per workout. Now as I said it has been a number of years since I did my Thesis on the subject. But I still use this workout schedule today. With great results. Where did I get my info from. A guy named Michael Yessis.

I agree with JPat on the plyo workouts. Speaking of a big bench press, look no further than Sevier County where Senior to be Josh Ward holds the world record (at sanctioned events)for his age (just turned 16) for benching 531 pounds. At the end of the month he will compete for the second straight year at the Arnold Classic in Columbus,OH. Not as a body builder of course, but during the weekend, they have lifting competitions throughout the place. Not a bad offensive guard either-6'1"-310 lbs.-check him out next fall for the Smoky Bears.

Friday during workouts my coach made a good statement he heard at a stregnth camp...When have you ever heard of a football play that calls for a player to lay down on his back and lift someone off their chest...i agree with everybody...powerclean and squats are where its at...but it does boost confidence and give you something to tell the other guys and your girlfriend about