Shoe on other foot...

RealGoEagles

well put vg and rob.

private schools do not have as large a base as people think. take MBA for example. although we boast a student body made up of students from 50+ schools, the bulk of MBA students come from very few schools, ensworth, oak hill, and overbrook. my class from oak hill ('95) sent 21 to MBA in 7th grade and we were met by 15-20 ensworth grads and another 10 in 9th grade, and i graduated with 106. do privates have a larger pool to draw students from? yes. do private schools take advantage of that? no.

i can't personally speak for robjim and CPA, but i know that MBA does not have athletic ability as a requirement for incoming students. and i dont think that any private school does.

anyone has been around a group of athletes as they progress from 6th grade up through high school, knows that athletes do not get their talent when they are in 7th grade. it usually comes around freshman year. so saying that a private school that accepts most of its students in 7th grade, or earlier in lipscomb or bga's case, has a wider talent pool is absurd. there is no real talent pool at that age. sure, there are standouts, but in my experience, the best athletes is 6th grade were not the best in 9th grade, because everybody else had physically matured to the same level.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As many of you know from my posts, I am a big private school advocate regarding the unfair treatment of their sports programs. My child actually goes to public school in Williamson County. I intend to send my children to public school until they graduate, unless things get tremendously crazy over the next 10 years.

I believe wholeheartedly that most people don't understand that drugs, pre-marital sex, drinking etc. happens in private schools as well...much more than private school administration gives acknowledgement to. There are several prominent Nashville private schools(Folks from these schools know who and what schools I am talking about, so no need for names) that have had to deal with kicking kids out because the girls were pregnant over the last few years, and kids who have been kicked out for drugs and alcohol. The privates have a reputation to live up to. I talk to enough kids to know what goes on in the Williamson county public and private schools. I have always believed that the kids you think are saints, or the boys that parents want their daughters to go out with have their problems as well. They sweet talk the parents until they get out the door. Parents, don't be unassuming just because a kid goes to BGA,BA,MBA Harpeth Hall, etc. Watch your kids hard, and keep up with who they hang out with. Don't think because they come from a certain family that they are saints.

Although my alliengance is with the privates, my kids will go to the Williamson County public schools, and hopefully stay in a good youth group at our church until they at least graduate. One more thing....don't think that just because a kid is in a church youth group that they don't experiment or do questionable things.

Again....think of yourself when you were in school, whether you were a "bad" kid or not, and keep up with your child.

If public schools are good enough for Vince Gill and a host of other wealthy folks in Williamson County, they are good enough for little ole' me.

[Edited by Brandon100 on 2-27-03 10:03P]

[Edited by Brandon100 on 2-27-03 10:13P]

exactly brandon. high schools are no tmeant to raise you kids. by the time that they get to the high school rank there is little that a teacher can do to change the way that a kid acts. i think that parents blame schools for kids actions because they don't want to face the fact that it is their fault in not raising the kid well. i am not blaming parents for everything bad that happens, but it is the parents duty to teach their children to be upstanding citizens and parents should lead by example. we've all seen movies like dead poet's society in which a teacher changes his/her pupils outlook on life, and those teachers do exist at public AND private schools and they should be honored no matter where they are because they truly have a gift. i can guarentee that there are public school students that are better students and citizens than some private kids. as with anything there are always exceptions to this statement.

You can throw all those free lunch numbers around all you want to. To me they mean nothing. As I have stated before, I know for a fact of a kid who lived in the local projects, who family did not have very much money, yet by an act of God, this kid was able to attend a private school in a neighboring county. Oh, yeah, he also played basketball. Oh, and by the way, they went to the state finals.

Also, I know of many people who "work" the system and get food stamps, free lunches and other welfare yet, they have nice homes, drive nice cars, ect. ect.. so your numbers mean very little to me. Just my opinion.

Softballer....hehe :):)

So your saying that kids on lunch programs should be considered as a viable part of the drawing pool for private schools in Div.I?

LOL!!! You`re funny softballer!

Or maybe you just don`t want to admit that private schools have only a certain portion of the population to choose from and not this huge base of people that some people like to say they have.

VG :)

Its not as much the quanity as it is the quality. Just like you said in another post,these kids play ball with each other in summer leagues. When a group of them deside to attend the same school, and this does happen,the school ends up with alot of talent. Magnet schools has the potential to do this as well. The rich can get richer and the poor will get poorer.

Its like I've said before,private schools alot of small advantages that makes for one huge advantage. Getting people to enroll is their biggest problem and this problem don,t seem to be to big. I saw on tv the other day where more and more people were sending their kids to private schools in Tennessee. Magnet schools could hurt private schools before this is all said and done.They would still get kids because of religion,but all the other things might be better at a free magnet school.

Pioneer...there are some things you just shouldn`t try to legislate and money and support are two of them. Take for example Williamson County schools. Overall...they have some very wealthy families at those schools. They are located in areas that are very well to do families. Is it fair for an innercity school that sits in the middle of a lot of poverty like Melrose to be forced to compete against teams that are clearly from an affluent wealthy district? I don`t think that anyone would say that public schools should be sorted out between richer schools and poorer schools, so why should we apply this to private schools?

work ethic...

I could make an argument that kids from small rural kids grow up with a strong work ethic and know what it means to work hard and earn something, while rich kids are spoiled and sit around and play Playstation all day and don`t know how to earn anything because it is all handed to them on a silverspoon. It all depends on how you want to look at. So using work ethic is also no way to determine which teams schools should be competing against.

And if you would, please explain why a smart rich kid from the city would be better motivated at sports than a not as smart poor kid from a rural area.

VG