metro hiring article

shadow

The OPINION article in today's Tennessean was unfair to all metro football coaches. Just about all large school systems promote and hire from within. Recent hires in Rutherford, and Sumner were in the system. What's wrong with rewarding qualified coaches; they are loyal to the system, work hard to improve and have the proper certification to teach , not to mention active in their community. It's more to coaching than just Friday nights. The principal is responible for all school programs and they should have the right to choose the coach that is best for their school. So, don't slam metro when it is a common practice through out most large school system.

;)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You notice that he quickly skipped past the part about how he was an assistant in Metro for several years prior to going to Greenbrier. I seem to recall he didn't have much success there and was relieved of his duties. Athletes are important. I guess Paul Kuharsky conveniently left that part out.

I started thread on here several months ago. It was about Large and small school systems. How large is effected by so much crap. The must deal with so many schools that it effects hiring, firing, money, stadiums, equipment. Just look at the Schools that are winning state championships. Although there are large school systems that have champions what is the majority. I have not a dog in the fight with the Metro hiring or what the paper said. I really enjoy the Coach I work for, and he was hired from outside.

I wonder how many private school coaches will apply for the head football job at Stratford.

Coach Smith left metro twice, and even accepted the soccer head coaching position at Lipscomb College, before Ezell came calling. I bet they are upset with the fact , he now is looking to leave.

Pioneer:

I don't know how old that you are, but in the 50's,60's,70's;the old NIL was the best act in this area. Many got in line just to be in the system because it was a "closed" system. The big busing order in late 60's curtailed hiring of a large group of good young coaches, and thus the present crop may not be as large a group to select from. I see no problem from hiring from within Rutherford is doing it, so is Sumner. If I am a young coach; I would appreciate that type loyalty. Loyalty is a 2-way street.

As to Scott Smith, he was not nearly as smart at Greenbriar. The alphabet privates are scorned by other A teams in this area because they are so good; WELL here is why: they get a lot of good 5A type players that are fleeing the public schools----they have some good coaches but they also have some good players. In real estate, it is location, location. In HS football, it is players, players,. Wonder if Paul Kuharsky went for a better job at his paper; that he was qualified for, and they went outside. Reckon, that he would be miffed. Some are implying that the recent hirees are not very good. Don't be so quick to judge, until you have walked a mile in those shoes.

That was an article that would have been better left unwritten. While I can see the point that metro might be better off considering coaches from outside the system, there is the other side of the coin. Scott Brunette has the responsibility to maintain morale among his coaches. If those who have "paid their dues" don't get promotions, morale will soon decline.

While I think any hire should be a well qualified "fit", whenever possible, hiring from with-in lets your people know that they will be rewarded for jobs that are well done.

I heard many of the same things when Ron Aydelatt was assigned to Hillsboro. His record there speaks volumes about hiring the right guy from within the system.

As a coach on the "Outside-Looking-In," I can say the pay is great in Metro and it is a position that is worth pursuing. As for the discussion about hiring from "WITHIN" the Metro-Nashville school district, this must be a great plus for retaining all of their assistant coaches. I think most of the larger school districts look at their local people before they go outside of their system. There are many quality coaches in these large metro systems throughout the state, and it must be a very difficult decision to make in regards to head coaches. Metro has its problems, but loyalty is not one of them. I think there are many coaches who would love to work in the system.

[Edited by ELA on 3-17-03 5:21A]

I think Kuharsky was just playing devil's advocate and bringing up a side to the story that nobody really seems to want to debate. I'm all for getting the best people in the right jobs - from within or without shouldn't matter. I question the two-month process when it appears the Glencliff deal was done before the Hunters Lane job opened. Richard Campbell has 14 years within the system and has won at Maplewood and Stratford. He had the head coaching experience and the relationships with the coaching staff at Hunters Lane that would allow for a smooth transition. He's still young. A good fit and solid choice. But - honestly, the McGavock job will be open again in two or three years because of Coach Armstrong's age. He's already got 33 years in the system. I question that hire because it's not a long-term solution - not because of police records. I personally admire the man for standing up to thugism. Not just that one day, but for 33 years. And I also don't doubt that McGavock's football team is better today that it was last week. I feel this could be a healthy debate.

I thought the article was great. It really shows the heart of the problem in metro. I think your statement about Statford is really irrevelent because in the early 90's Stratford was a power and every Metro coach would have liked to have that job. I think Scott should have done like most of the coaches that got turned go back to work and continue to keep beating the snot out of metro and do it quietly. Paul caught Scott at a very fragile moment. Scott was just venting because he has been turned down couple of times before. Paul did do a good job by bring the problem of quality people being ignored simply because the choose a different route to become a head coach. I personally am happy that Coach Armstrong has gotten a chance. But to say that there was not a better candidate than Richard Campbell is silly. He got the job because he coached at Stratford first, is that a way a quality athletic department hires people? I think if Paul was writing about that hiring practice. Just because you coached at Stratford you should not get the next attractive job. Did he win at Stratford? Is he a good person? Is he a role model for the kids? I hope so for metro sake he is all these things or we will be having the same conversation in three years.