Overrated Maryville

cdm2003

Me listening to alot of what you guys were saying had me thinking that maryville were the Oakland Raiders or something. They were pretty good, but I expected more the way you guys were talking. Hillsboro was stuffing it down Maryville's throat at the championship game, and i was suprised, if it wasn't for Hillsboro getting tired Maryville would of got blown out the water. All I know is that Hillsboro's coming back this year, Maybe we'll see a part III to the 2 4A rivals.

Good luck rebelz

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, you are 100% right about the game with hillsboro(2001 & 2002). maryville's championship reign is over. you can say i stupid; you can say i'm fbwiz; you can say anything else that you choose. but, the championship repeats are over for maryville. i'm not saying that maryville won't win another championship in 3-4 years, they probably will. it just won't happen in 2003 or 2004. as for hillsboro, i don't know who they have coming back, but i do know that morr.west will have the best defense in the state this year. so i'm going with them to win it all. matter of opinion, i think they will finish 15-0.

Hillsboro took it to Maryville most of the game. Maryville won the game though. It must kill you that Hillsboro has 2 losses the last 2 seasons and they were both to Maryville?

When a team(Maryville) wins 4 out of the last 5 state titles how can they be overated?

Hillsboro did get tired.MHS tries to play players 1 way for that reason. MHS does a great job of developing depth. Morristown West is doing the same thing Maryville does by playing so many players. MW will win a title one day because of this.That and they have a very good coach.

artiefeelgood, west is loaded on defense. however, i don't think they will have the fire power on offense as previous years. but i don't think any team will score more than 2-3 tds on them. anyway, west will whip maryville this year. furthermore, i'm thinking it will be west and k.central in the semi's. :D

JPATS how many times have you seen maryville play the past two years. Have you seen them play? Or are you truly the "all being master of Time, Space and Dimension" like you portray yourself to be. You keep spouting off about MW's defense this coming year. Maybe it will be awesome. But maryville scored 77 points on them in two games this year. And Hillsboro manhandled maryville in both games? Blah Blah Blah. If Maryville does not win another title in the next 20 years MW and Hillsboro both have a lot of work to do to catch them in that department. If this If that! If your aunt had a set of _______ she would be your uncle. :)

JPATS5.I hope everybody else thinks the same way you do. I promise you guys. If everybody thinks MHS will be way down they will be in for a rude awakening. MHS has another strong class coming up in the upcoming junior class.Upcoming junior class was unbeaten in freshmen football and averaged 50 points a game.

MHS lost several good seniors. They have several good players coming back also. They have a lot of young players who got to play a lot because of blowouts and injuries. MHS lost 4 seniors on the offensive line. Chris Large is only returning starter but that is misleading. Drew Eubanks and Chris large missed several games last year to injury. That gave guys like Jimmy Wallace good experience because he started 4 games last season. Line will eventually be good because they have talent and they have David Ellis as their coach.

Even though Carl Stewart is gone running back will still be a team strength. Chris McCord,Adam Parnell,Antonio Byner and Ryan Tallent will make a good backfield.

Losing Brad Merrit and Jacob Holt is big. But! Tyler Gaskin will be back and Andrew Clement and Kirk Harris will be the other receivers. Don't be surprised to see Alex Rouse at receiver also.Chase Sanders will be a player also. Offense will still be explosive.

Losing Cole McKinney and Drew Galyon will be huge for MHS. Having Andrew Hodge,BJ Telfer,Ryan Headrick and Jefferey Smith will be huge. Rhett Brooks and upcoming sophomore Gary Tucker will help out the defensive line.

Losing Lucas Tipton,Derek Rang and Matt Oliver will be huge for the linebacker corps. I worried about linebacker before. I wondered who would take Andrew Healy's spot in 98 and Stephen Pacifico stepped up.I wondered who would take Josh Theriot's spot and Colton Baker stepped up. I wondered who would take Stephen Pacifico's place and Lucas Tipton stepped up.Last year I wondered who would take Colton Baker's spot and Matt Oliver stepped up. I guarantee you the Rebels will find some linebackers next year. Larry Hannon,Dee Arrington,Zach Thomason and upcoming sophomore Anthony Jackson will do the job at linebacker next season.

The secondary will be set. Andrew Clement will take his brother's place. The other corner could be Adam Humphrey. Dave Garner and Tyler Gaskin will be the safeties. Dave started playing more at the end of last season and I thought he did a great job.

I think if anyone wants to beat Maryville they better do it early.I think by playoff time they will be hard to beat.

Until Maryville's reign is over(if it ever happens), they receive my respect. Watching them in pre-game warm-ups tells nothing about Quarles' Rebels. In between the whistles, they play the game. Maryville's biggest weapon is not ever beating themselves. They are beatable, but a team must play flawless in order to knock them off. I think Mo West and Knox Central has the players to do it in E.Tennessee. They also better never look past Halls, who in my opinion get the most of their players.

Hillsboro did do a good job with moving the ball in 2002 and really stopped Maryville's running game; however, in the 2001 game, Maryville had two backs over 100 yards and it was Hillsboro playing catch up. Maryville was definitely the more dominant team in 2001. Anyone who saw the game will admit that. Hillsboro's QB was a great player in 2001 but Maryville led most of the game by 2 scores.

2002 Hillsboro may have gotten tired but Maryville ran some plays that caught Hillsboro on their heels....the flea flicker to Stewart, the reverse pass for a score and the subsequent onside kick. If anyone remembers, Maryville recovered the onside kick and then ran the ball for most of the winning drive. The only pass on the drive other than the two point conversion was a roll out and the QB threw back to the weakside flat to the RB who had lined up as a strong side slot. No one was there to cover the back.

On the two point conversion, the player who caught the two pointer lined up as a "tackle eligible" and ran a flat route. Did anyone else notice that?

Maryville outcoached Hillsboro. They adjusted throughout the game to what, they couldn't do, and what they could do. Even after Maryville took the lead, there was four minutes left in the game. For whatever reason, Hillsboro got into a hurry and tried to throw. I still say if Hillsboro has a good chance to win or at least tie the game if they do what they had been doing the whole game, run the ball on Maryville. Hillsboro's kicker had the leg to kick a 50 yard field goal. If I recall, Hillsboro had the ball twice after Maryville took the lead. Don't you think they had plenty of time to run the ball into fieldgoal position.

Hillsboro couldn't react to adversity. Maryville did it time and time again in that game. A lot of that has to do with coaching. They handle adversity very well, i.e. 0-4 start in 2000 became 11-4 and a state title. As far as I know, Maryville hasn't lost any of their coaches so I think they will still be the team to beat until they are knocked off. Maryville expects to win. Ask the players and coaches from Hillsboro, M'Town West for that matte if they expected to win. I'm not sure they will keep their run of State Championships alive but while that coaching staff stays intact, you can't count them out.

Maryville coaches won the game in 2002. 2001, Maryville was the better team.

[Edited by missingthesouth on 3-14-03 7:04P]

Like REBELRON said, How in the world can a team that's won four of five state championships be over-rated? If I was part of that program, I'd imagine I'd be awfully proud myself. Why discredit the Maryville fans for their pride. How's the old saying go, "Nobody like a winner"