Who will be the top contender for the 4A state cha

Scuba7

transplant, you have no trust in your ability to analyze hs football. the only thing you rely on is tradition. i'm not arguing the fact that maryville has been the best team in 4a for the last four yrs. on the contrary, maryville will go down as having some the best teams ever in hs football. but their reign is over. i'm not afraid to say this because i've seen morr.west's progress over the last few yrs. their defense last yr was loaded with jr's, and if you know anything about football you would agree that they got better with each game. this defensive unit is salty and hungry, and it doesn't matter if maryville has been champions for 4 yrs or 100, west will achieve nothing less than a state championship this yr. and my friend that is a fact, period.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JPATS5,

Due to the fact that I am a huge Morristown West, fan I hope you are right about them winning a State Championship next year. However, I have watched High School football in 5 different states throughout my lifetime and Maryville is one of the best programs I have ever seen. They have a ton of talent returning next year and a great coaching staff.

That doesn't mean they are going to win it all. My only point is that the Champion in any sport holds that title until someone takes it from them. That hasn't happened in 3 years, and that deserves respect.

Once again, I respect your opinion and I hope you are right.

Just trying to clarify my point.

JPATS5, I hate to tell you that Ridgeway might have a better defense than Morristown West next year. They are bringing a defense in that only allowed 42 points all last year, and almost everybody is back. Now I"m not making guarantees, but Ridgeway will suprise some people next year in the playoffs. They fear nobody, including Maryville.

I don't believe East could beat our Freshmen 42-0 again. I'm sick of hearing about a stupid Jamboree. I guess nobody is smart enough to realize that we had a game against Briarcrest in 4 days and we didn't want our starters to get hurt. The starting offense and defense played one series and that's all. East kept their starters in until about 20 seconds left. As far as Briarcrest goes, we made some stupid turnovers. We handed them the game when we let them run a kick back and they broke an 80 yard TD run when 3 of our starters on defense were out cramping because it was about 112 degrees on the field. WE totally outplayed them, but they got the win and I give them credit. But, if we would have played them at the end of the season it wouldn't have even been close. We improved so much towards the end of the season, and they seemed to slip. Those two games don't change the fact that Ridgeway dominated 3A and were State Champs.

To Mr. JPATS5,

I, like many others have also watched High School football in other states throughout my lifetime and Maryville is one of the best programs I have seen in a public school. The fact that the school has top notch academics is the reason I moved my kids into the city of Maryville, not football. I can tell you this, no one recruits and the starters earn their spot, year end and year out. The fact that you and others keep ˜Predicting˜ Morr West will win the State Championship this fall does not get you a bye until the game at the boro. Your team will have to produce outside your region, which they have not done. My view is if Morr West can manage to beat Maryville, when it counts, will never be easy. Then there are other teams like Central, TN high, Greenville, Elizabethton, and Halls who all produce good team˜s year end and year out West will have to contend with. You may be one who is sick of hearing about Maryville; Well I am sick of hearing about what Morr West is going to do! The past few games I have seen Morr West play against Maryville was not worth the price of the ticket or getting rained on from a fans perceptive. It was fun to watch the third and fourth strings score on the Morr West starters, last year and that is your big D of the future? Well that was the Maryville O of the future. Let˜s get it done then talk. Champions in any sport get it done not wish it done. Getting to the Championship game 5 of 6 years and being the only undefeated 4A team in the state deserves and has earned respect among those who really know football.

Wasn't Maryville the only undefeated team in the entire state last year? I'm pretty sure they were. Anyway, Ridgeway won't stand a chance in 4A, atleast not for a few more years. Sure they're talented, but the sheer numbers of the actual 4A schools will dominate your smaller school. Maryville really fears no one, and if your boys really don't fear us then well if we both get to state you better bring it! We aren't going to lie down and give anyone an easy win! Hillsboro thought they had an easy win last year at state, they were all but dancing on the sidelines and we came up and bit them and got the win! Some say we cheat, some say we play dirty, some say we use trick plays...I say we play football like smart men, the Maryville "brothers" play bigger and smarter than every other team they play and thats how they win. Thats how they're taught to play, they're coached to be brothers, and they push and pull one another towards perfection. Thats why we're the best, thats why we will continue to be a huge contender in 4A and beyond. Ridgeway has NO respect in 4A until they earn it, its a whole new ball game!

fact, i base my predictions for the upcoming season on five logical reasons:

1) the returning players.(2) the progress that these returning players made with each game. (3) the attitude and sportsmanship that these players left with in their final game last year.(4) the work ethic of these players durning the offseason. (5) the work ethic of the coaches and the belief the coaches have in the upcoming seniors.

morristown west meets all of the above criteria with flying colors. fact, this team is hungry. fact, this team is strong. fact, this team is quick. fact, this team is salty, salty, salty. i'm not here to belittle what maryville has accomplished. like i said, they have fielded some of the best hs football teams that i have ever watched. however, remember my words; if morristown west keeps its head straight and continues to take of business this summer, make no mistake they will be state champs. and friend that is something that i truly believe. matter of fact, if i had to go with one team that has the best chance of going 15-0, it would be morr. west. maybe, but not likely, jeff. co might be the team to pull a big upset on the trojans.

[Edited by JPATS5 on 4-13-03 3:13P]

let me tell you something Maryville, Ridgeway might not have any respect in 4A yet, but they will get it. You know what, Covington and Portland use to talk just like you are now because they dominated 3A ball and we came up and smacked them in the face. I'm not saying that Ridgeway is gonna dominate 4A, but they will earn respect and be a force for the next several years.

I and all the Maryville fans know that transplant. fbwiz (JPATS5) loves to stir the pot and pop off in the offseason. Remember last year when all his predictions were wrong and he disappeared and now reappears as JPATS5.

I know West will be good, they always are. I enjoy the series with them. It's a good measuring stick to see where you're at in game 4 of the season. In 2001 when West won, it really helped to focus our team and helped us identify weaknesses.

Maryville may start slowly or they may not. They have a tremendous jr. class with lots of good lineman and skilled players. When those kids were freshmen they were undefeated and averaged over 50 pts. a game. The sr. class is small a lot like 2000, but has some leadership from kids like Gaskin, McCord, Large etc. They have a pretty good upcoming soph. class, which played all last season without their best player (RB Ryan Tallent) who broke his ankle in the pre-season. And according to some, this year's freshman team may be one of the best in school history.

So don't throw the dirt on us just yet. Go Rebs.

[Edited by STARSNBARS on 4-13-03 5:11P]