Gallatin has ineligible players?

GWAVE1

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ELA,

I must disagree with you.

Gallatin did everything in the book to make sure the transfer was legal. Should they be penalized for TSSAA's idiocy? No. TSSAA made a mistake and they can't just slap down a ruling and pretend they never did anything wrong, like approve an illegal transfer as legal, TWICE. Plus, I seriously doubt they were maliciously trying to lie on the transfer forms -- it was just a mistake that's easy to make.

What should happen?

Gallatin be reinstated in the playoffs. From this point on, the player is ineligible, unless a hardship is granted.

What did the TSSAA say was wrong with the transfer? Didn't the kid have two addresses? Is that what they ruled? The reason they approved the original transfer (according to my sources) is that they didn't have all of the facts. Let me see if I can understand what happened? If John Doe moves into my school with an athletic record and reports for football requesting to play. The school has to request a transfer which is going to be approved if all of the paper work LOOKS correct. The TSSAA DOES NOT GO OUT AND INVESTIGATE ANYONE.... until another school complains! IN this case you must ask yourself, was JOHN DOE living FULL TIME in GALLATIN? OR did he share time with his step father in Nashville? After the investigation, didn't the TSSAA rule that he had dual residency between the parents? I'm not sure so someone fill me in with all of the details?

Yes, this is terrible for the kids at Gallatin, but I still contend that the TSSAA has no choice but to follow the rules of the association. IF the rules must be changed, then I suggest that someone at Gallatin sit down and draw up new rules to present to the TSSAA at the Winter meeting. Good luck!

ELA,

I must disagree with you.

Gallatin did everything in the book to make sure the transfer was legal.  Should they be penalized for TSSAA's idiocy? No. TSSAA made a mistake and they can't just slap down a ruling and pretend they never did anything wrong, like approve an illegal transfer as legal, TWICE. Plus, I seriously doubt they were maliciously trying to lie on the transfer forms -- it was just a mistake that's easy to make.

What should happen?

Gallatin be reinstated in the playoffs. From this point on, the player is ineligible, unless a hardship is granted.

What did the TSSAA say was wrong with the transfer? Didn't the kid have two addresses? Is that what they ruled? The reason they approved the original transfer (according to my sources) is that they didn't have all of the facts. Let me see if I can understand what happened? If John Doe moves into my school with an athletic record and reports for football requesting to play. The school has to request a transfer which is going to be approved if all of the paper work LOOKS correct. The TSSAA DOES NOT GO OUT AND INVESTIGATE ANYONE.... until another school complains! IN this case you must ask yourself, was JOHN DOE living FULL TIME in GALLATIN? OR did he share time with his step father in Nashville? After the investigation, didn't the TSSAA rule that he had dual residency between the parents? I'm not sure so someone fill me in with all of the details?

Yes, this is terrible for the kids at Gallatin, but I still contend that the TSSAA has no choice but to follow the rules of the association. IF the rules must be changed, then I suggest that someone at Gallatin sit down and draw up new rules to present to the TSSAA at the Winter meeting. Good luck!

ELA,

Your feelings fly above your reasoning.

The TSSAA has no choice, because they choose to have no choice. The rules do not have to be changed. They are fine. The problem rests in how TSSAA handled the situation.

TSSAA in a sense has committed double jeopardy. In good faith, Gallatin went above and beyond to make sure that the player in question was eligible. TSSAA ruled the player eligible twice, therefore Gallatin became not guilty of any transfer offense that could have been committed by this kid. However, the TSSAA then ruled him ineligible ex post facto. The second time around, the TSSAA changed the ruling and punished Gallatin. Call it however you want, but this is clearly holding Gallatin in double jeopardy.

It's different if Gallatin had never checked on the kid. If they had never made sure about the kid, Gallatin could legally be accused by another school and punished. But this was not the case. The TSSAA made two rulings and has held Gallatin in double jeopardy. Plain and Simple.

The TSSAA made two rulings and has held Gallatin in double jeopardy. Plain and Simple.

Is there an "all decisions are final" clause in the TSSAA bylaws and football handbook? I doubt it. Therefore, the TSSAA can reverse whatever they please according to the rules as set forth in their bylaws and football handbook.

FHS, you are acting just as the TSSAA is. How did your mentality change so much? Like I said, Hendersonville is watching gametape of 2 different teams. Why isn't Franklin doing the same? They SHOULD be prepared no matter who they play. So if they lose, and you say it was because they weren't prepared.... Don't come pointing your finger at Gallatin.

Is there an "all decisions are final" clause in the TSSAA bylaws and football handbook? I doubt it. Therefore, the TSSAA can reverse whatever they please according to the rules as set forth in their bylaws and football handbook.

Wrong. As a state actor (as ruled in BA vs. TSSAA), the TSSAA now falls under the provisions of the constitution. Therefore the Fifth Amendment Double Jeopardy clause applies to the situation.

Edited by CoachtFAN

Guest region4fan

I am so sorry for all the players, fans, and coaches in Gallatin.I am still unsure about some of this, but feel like the Mcgaock coach should have complained earlier in the season. It sure makes him look suspect to wait til he loses to Gtown before lodging a complaint. I know nothing will take away the pain that you are feeling right now. But know that some of your bretheren on the boards wish it had all worked out for you.

The TSSAA isn't a court. That's what double jeapordy pertains to, not a high school athletic association. Take 'em to court. I don't care... but I do care when what you want would ruin eight other teams (maybe more if a radical decision is handed down) because you're unhappy about a ruling made against you. Franklin shouldn't have to prepare for two teams. The TSSAA set the playoff brackets this past Friday night. Every team in the state knows who they're playing. Why should we be any different? You're bringing it to my doorstep now, that's why my position has changed.

Wrong. As a state actor (as ruled in BA vs. TSSAA), the TSSAA now falls under the provisions of the constitution. Therefore the Fifth Amendment Double Jeopardy clause applies to the situation.

Double Jeopardy only applies to criminal cases. You can be sued as many times as you would like in civil courts for the same offense. This was not a Criminal Case and therefore DOUBLE JEOPARDY DOESN'T APPLY!

I guess the local court and the TSSAA has it out for GALLATIN. I have nothing against the school or kids, I just don't see your point of view. The TSSAA ruled him eligible based on the information provided by the school that must have been incomplete or wrong in some way. No one has answered by question... Was the kid living at both addresses? Isn't this what the final ruling was all about? Did the kid live in Gallatin throughout the entire football season or did he switch back and forth between his mother/grandmother and step-father? Wasn't that the ruling? Let me ask you this... if the TSSAA had been informed that the boy lives sometimes with his mother and sometimes with his step-father, would that have made a difference? Isn't it just that simple? Next question, why did the school submit the paperwork twice if there wasn't a question about his eligibility in the first place? They must have had their doubts or they wouldn't have sent it in twice? AGAIN... IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE TSSAA TO INVESTIGATE EVERY TRANSFER! Can you imagine how many people they would have to have on their staff? If the kid legally lived in GALLATIN and didn't have a dual residency status, he would have been legal! WHY BLAME OTHERS FOR what turned out to be a violation of the rules?