Gallatin has ineligible players?

GWAVE1

I don't have whatever info GWAVE1 and Gtowner have, but I don't see this changing 2003. Too many teams are effected by whatever hypothetical reversal may take place. Eight teams to be exact. If TSSAA was to be found in the wrong it would likely only be compensation that Gallatin would receive, not a playoff berth. And I don't see how the team could realistically practice well in the event of such a reversal, much less play well on Friday.

I agree that McGavock is not to blame. I disagree that the parent intended to decieve. I'm not sure I could have filled out that form and been confident that I had the info correct. Dunno.

What bothers me is this:

This kid came to the program from elsewhere, as a sophomore, and, as far as I know, did not have to do anything in particular to earn his spot on the team. But on the other side of things, Gallatin senior JaMichael Douglas, had to run for the better part of six weeks to earn a spot BACK on the team. Why? I understand that one was punitive, but Douglas had been with the program for four years, payed his dues, lettered, and proven to be a valueable part of the team on the feild. This kid came in with having given nothing to the program. He came right in, not even likely to play much, and was given a position. And what was the outcome?

JaMichael had to earn his senior year back. And then he, and the rest of his fellow seniors, had their final year ruined by someone coming in from the outside, having not sacrificed anything for the program and community. That is a tough pill to swallow.

I wish no ill will on the Shipley kid, nore do I judge him or his parents. But what is best for all should be put ahead of the needs of one. It seems that the coaching staff did the opposite and we now see the cost.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bothers me is this:

This kid came to the program from elsewhere, as a sophomore, and, as far as I know, did not have to do anything in particular to earn his spot on the team. But on the other side of things, Gallatin senior JaMichael Douglas, had to run for the better part of six weeks to earn a spot BACK on the team. Why? I understand that one was punitive, but Douglas had been with the program for four years, payed his dues, lettered, and proven to be a valueable part of the team on the feild. This kid came in with having given nothing to the program. He came right in, not even likely to play much, and was given a position. And what was the outcome?

JaMichael had to earn his senior year back. And then he, and the rest of his fellow seniors, had their final year ruined by someone coming in from the outside, having not sacrificed anything for the program and community. That is a tough pill to swallow.

I wish no ill will on the Shipley kid, nore do I judge him or his parents. But what is best for all should be put ahead of the needs of one. It seems that the coaching staff did the opposite and we now see the cost.

Ok, I'm not trying to start anything here. Here is what I know about the JaMichael Douglas situation. I was told this by someone who was close to the situation. First, he didn't have to earn his spot back. He was suspended for the first 2 (maybe 3?) games of the season because he cussed out a coach during camp. Discipline was in order in that case it sounds like. Any good coach would do something similar. He was going to split time in the backfield with 2 other RBs anyway. It didn't really hurt them when he was out. I'm not trying to badmouth him, he was the best RB we had this year. But, he didn't lose anything that he did not take away from himself because of his actions. And I wouldn't exactly call 6th WR (or whatever Shipley was) a good position. You act like they let him start every game or something and treated him like a superstar. It's public high school football. Everyone gets a "position".

Gwave2001, I agree with everything that you said except one point. Ja Michael Douglas did something far worse than just cuss out a coach. He would not have played for my team if I were the coach.

Just1np, I don't know every little detail. I admit that up front but if my sources are correct(and so far they've been pretty good, but they are human) than your assumption about Shipley is wrong. I saw them practice multiple times and he was handed nothing. He earned what little playing time that he got. How do you feel about Travis Rose? He started and to my knowledge never played ball in Tennessee before this year.

The one thing that we may all agree on is that the punishment does not fit the crime.

Due to the changing society that several of you mention as reason for changing the transfer rule I think the total opposite is needed. With this I want it now generation a lot of kids would not stick it out at program when they could move at the drop of a hat.

The rule needs to be strictly enforced because imagine anytime a player gets mad at his coach he can just begin to look for relatives in another zone and by the next friday be playing there. If that doesn't work out he could then find another relative in another zone and play there.

The rules have worked for years and just because a major school like Gallatin got nailed by it is not a reason to change.

Gallatin may not have known the facts but the parents of this kid new they were trying to beat the system to get a transfer without following the rules.

Just a footnote to this Ronnie Carter lovefest, why is Gallatin's integrity in question?

Is it not the responsiblity of the TSSAA to HELP kids with eligibilty? And why is it so easy for a family to dupe the system? As I have said before does the TSSAA not know what questions to ask on their own eligibility forms to avoid trapping a school that KNOWS it is doing EVERYTHING by the book. If the kid had transferred the day before game one...okay... but McGavock and anyone else involved had plenty of time to take care of business BEFORE the eighth game of the season. Nobody ever questioned the academic side of this. ALL of his records had to be sent to Gallatin high well before football became an issue (academic record, immunization records, etc.). This only became an issue when Gallatin thrashed McGavock, or at least that is when it reared it's ugly head.

As it stands now Region 5-5A Champ will be sitting at home.

Love That Wave!

wireman

Hey, all we can do now is have some fun with this. It will be in the hands of the legal people from here on out. I just hate that this all happened to this senior class. These guys worked out of a TON of adversity to earn what they got. Most outsiders have no idea what individually these guys have overcome to have it all taken away like this. This senior class is a special bunch.

Gallatin will not win in the courts, The Brentwood academy decision did not even deal with TSSAA rules per say but went to the free speech issue. The case was the only case i am aware the TSSAA has ever lost because when a school sues the TSSAA you are basically suing yourself since the member schools make the rules and the penalties not the TSSAA.

I feel for the green wave I think they were above board.

I have talked with several coaches in the area and had no idea how far they go to assure a transfer player lives where they say and with who they say I was frankly shocked at how far most of them say they go to assure everything is above board

Even with that all said a parent or guardian could set them up just like gallatin was set up if they really wanted to.

My initial reaction is to change the rule to allow the school some slack if they can prove they were mislead but------------------------after thinking that through it would basically allow schools to take anybody and just say well "thats what we were told" etc so I don't know the answer other than ck every transfer out in person at their residence and if it don't feel right go with your instincts and hold them out till you are 100% sure they are not lying don't count on the TSSSA giving it's ok because if the info is fraudulent they will go after the school not the parent

based on their rules and penalties established by the schools.

Guest region4fan

I am so sorry for the Green Wave. What a shame that the best team is sitting at home. I am very happy to see that Link broke 1000.Maybe he will get a Mr Football nomination to help soothe things a little bit?