Gallatin has ineligible players?

GWAVE1

I would like to add my support for the green wave players family and friends.

Is there somewhere the offical ruling can be viewed? Look everyone think of this in a way any reasonable person would.

If it happened to them it could happen to you.

Without knowing all of the exact details I cant see how anyone could comment.

I can see asking the question and demanding an explanation of two conformation letters. And then the ruling costing them 5 games and any chance of a playoff.

Am I correct that only after another team gets beat they file a complaint and TSSAA make the descision that Galatin has to forfiet 5 games? I have read the posts all of them. I am just asking one last time.

I just want to add my support from my little corner of Oak Ridge.

I feel so bad for the seniors and the player involved. I am 38 and have three kids This is just another example of adults screwing up kids lives then asking what is the matter with todays youth.

If all of this is true and Galatin was railroaded set up a donation site or address and I would be glad to help so that the young man could Go out on the Field tommrow night. IT SHOULD ONLY BE FOR ONE PLAY. HE SHOULD GET THE BALL AND RUN BACKWARDS ALL THE WAY DOWN THE FIELD INTO BEECHES ENDZONE

kICK OFF AND RESUME PLAY

I do not however support any unsportmans like conduct on Galatins part towards the Beech Team. Nor do I expect that they would. Galatian from every thing I have heard is a first class program.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two days ago Bryan Mullen from the Tennessean wrote about the purity and innocence of high school football and how its all about heart with no distractions like in college or pro.... sorry to say that is not true.

TSSAA has crushed the dreams and goals of a group of senior boys at Gallatin and when you put yourselves in their shoes for a moment, it makes you want to cry.

To me this is a simple case of taking "things" too seriously. Look at CPA's season, look at Brentwood Volleyball, I don't see that the ends justify the means in any of these scenarios. Why so harsh a penalty, why a death sentence?

Yes, there have to be rules, and yes people will always take advantage of the rules, but in these three cases I don't see any "outright defiance." I don't see any coaches abusing any rules other than perhaps the coach that turned Gallatin in.

By the way, if an opposing coach did turn them in, I think it will haunt him the rest of his life. How ironic that it occurs on halloween.

High School Football is what it is because of the life long lessons it teaches young men. The lessons we are learning here are not what Pop Warner had in mind.

Gallatin Seniors keep your heads up high, be proud of the season you had and learn from this ugly lesson, remember "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."

To the parents and lawyers of Gallatin, I hope you can somehow manage to take TSSAA down a notch. This whole transfer rule thing is just too harsh of a rule. Make them work to soften or do away with it all together.

I would like to see Gallatin's story of what exactly happened AND the TSSAA's take on exactly what happened printed in the "Tennessean" so we can all see all the hard cold facts of this situation.

I just keep telling myself that there has to be more to this situation than what I've read on this site.

Exactly what rule was violated that resulted in the forfeits?

Why was there a misunderstanding in the first place?

Why did Gallatin ask TWICE for TSSAA's approval on this kid?

Somebody from Gallatin must have had some suspicion that there may have been a question about this one. BTW, I am all for Gallatin. I just want to understand.

If the TSSAA can punish a school/team so harshly when they make a mistake, what punishment does the TSSAA incur when it makes a mistake?

My condolences to Gallatin...

I am in no way connected with the Green Wave program (although I did know Mr. Bill Colquitt when I was a kid and always thought he was a fine man...I'm sure he will be missed there).

What happened to Gallatin just seems wrong to me... If Gallatin had played an ineligible player without knowing or without documentation from TSSAA, then I could see Mr. Carter's point... However, with 2 letters declaring him eligible, it seems legal action might be appropriate...

Hope there is some other venue that will hear the case and find some other solution than the forfeiture of all those games... One thing TSSAA can't change is that those kids won the games on the field...regardless of the ruling...

That's all that should matter...and it's unfortunate that it's not...

Good Luck to the Green Wave...

Just think about it, if Gallatin wins tonight, the REGION CHAMPIONS will not be playing in the playoffs!!!!!!!

I think it is a travesty, and I'm not saying this because I am a Gallatin grad. It could happen to any school! From now on coaches won't know whether or not they can trust the T$$AA's ruling that a player is eligible. This ruling has to put fear into every coach in the state's heart. What do they do? Take the chance and play the kid, or punish the kid and not let him play?

Something needs to be done, whether it be by the T$$AA themself, or by a higher power, but something HAS to be done!

Gallatin appreciates all the support from everyone. I think it is easy to support the cause, especially if you take a step back and say, "Hey, that could be us next time!".

We even appreciate the Oak Ridge support, even if 2 of my 3 high school losses came at their hands. lol

Edited by Sensation

I do not work for or know one person at the TSSAA but they or Ronnie Carter did not just drop from Mars. The organization is made up of memebers schools that make the rules and the penalties that go with them so if the member schools don't like the rules change them.

Gallatin is innocent in this and I think a fine program but because someone lied to Gallatin and thus Gallatin unknowingly presented fraudulent information to TSSAA.

I will say it again the TSSAA original decision to allow the player to play was based on fraudulent information and when it came to light that the information was not correct gallatin was forced to pay the price based on the rules established by the member schools.

If the TSSAA wanted the money who would make them the most money

Gallatin or Glencliff in the playoffs?

Edited by 82cat

I do not work for or know one person at the TSSAA but they or Ronnie Carter did not just drop from Mars. The organization is made up of memebers schools that make the rules and the penalties that go with them so if the member schools don't like the rules change them.

Gallatin is innocent in this and I think a fine program but because someone lied to Gallatin and thus Gallatin unknowingly presented fraudulent information to TSSAA.

I will say it again the TSSAA original decision to allow the player to play was based on fraudulent information and when it came to light that the information was not correct gallatin was forced to pay the price based on the rules established by the member schools.

If the TSSAA wanted the money who would make them the most money

Gallatin or Glencliff in the playoffs?

This is the best post that I've read

Bear with me while I think this through.

A transfer student enrolls in a new school. He wishes to play football.

He must prove (or lie) that he now lives in the proper county/zone to attend Gallatin High. The central office, main office at GHS, and/or guidance office is responsible for contacting whoever (McGavock) to see that all is in order.

In addition, the boy has an athletic participation record at the previous school. To be eligible to play at Gallatin, the proper forms must be submitted to TSSAA. And they must rule him eligible before he can play. Right?

OK. Here's where I'm confused. The boy and his family provide the info on the forms to be submitted. If it is incorrect, who at Gallatin is supposed to investigate this? Should a polygraph be given? Should Coach Lassiter sneak around in the mulch under the windows of the boy's home to make sure everything is hunky-dory? What should Gallatin have done before submitting the forms? What should any school make sure they do before they submit future eligibility forms? Looking for some answers here from TSSAA officials (who watch this board) or their apologists.

Also, in the future, when the TSSAA rules that a player is eligible and sends one or two letters to that effect to the school, what action should the school/team take to insure they don't get Gallatinized? In other words, facing an identical situation, what should Gallatin or anybody else do differently next time? And if you say, "Check it out", explain how.

It appears that Gallatin and the young man are the unfortunate short-term losers in this sordid affair. I suspect that the TSSAA may well be the big loser when we look back after a period of time has passed. An organization that purports to represent its membership has lost a great deal of credibility. How can any future correspondence to member schools be trusted? With a dismissive wave of a hand, they overturn their own previous decision, negatively impacting the lives (yes, lives) of so many.

Folks, we may have an organization here, that has outlived its usefulness, and needs to be restructured or replaced. Food for thought.

I am certainly no fan of Gallatin High School. But I do repect their school and community. And I feel for them.

titans1221 is not too far off base folks. Again, let me go on record as saying I hate what happened to Gallatin. I'm very sure that the information they submitted to the TSSAA was the information they received from the boy and his parent(s).

With this being said, how many high school coaches have faced this problem at the beginning of the season? Salty asks the same questions many of us coaches ask ourselves everytime we get a transfer person in our program/school. Every program handles things differently. What many programs do, ours included, is to ask for several pieces of documentation up front. Such as:

1. Give us a copy of your phone bill and electrical bill. This proves the person is now in our "zone" and has established a legal "bona-fied change of address". Keep in mind it helps to have both parents name on this if possible. Or at least the person who has custody.

2. A copy of custody papers. This only applies if biological parents are not together. We point blank ask them who they live with and if they say "my parents" we then ask if they are your natural parents. If mom has custody yet he says he lives with dad he is ineligible. And keep in mind, whoever has custody is the only name which belongs on the transfer forms. Not a step parent! I have heard this was the problem with the Gallatin issue. (Maybe not, there are alot of rumors out there). Custody papers are a must!

3. Transfer papers from previous school. Including his/her high school records. Many times this has info such as custody information. We ask for a copy but until the official records are in the building we don't list them as eligible yet.

Even going above and beyond this, there is no 100% fool-proof way you may not get hoodwinked by someone. Coaches and school personnel know this but the person in the general public does not. We have had several parents to bold face lie to us to try to get their child to play ball. If a parent refuses to provide any of the above information, the case is closed....INELIGIBLE until we receive the information we requested! Parents do get upset sometimes but they don't fully understand our situation. Lassiter or any coach should not have to hid in bushes or any jumping thru hoops to get a person eligible!

I'm sure there may be 1 or 2 out there somewhere, but I don't personally know of a single coach that would jeapordize their entire program for playing an ineligible player. I firmly believe that Coach Lassiter and Gallatin submitted the information they were given by the boy and his parent(s). However, it apparantly was not the ENTIRE information they needed for him to be eligible. That information is what came up later in the season.

This is by no means a slap at anyone on this board however, unless you are a coach, athletic director, principal, or other school personnel you don't fully have an understanding of what is involved in regards to eligibility, especially transferrs. Nobody knows who is really posting on here but i'd be willing to bet the ones doing the bashing are not coaches or school personnel. They/we understand the delimas of the issue.

I'm sure this issue will live on for a while. My purpose was to get some of the heat off of TSSAA (all they are doing is enforcing rules on paper) and to let Mr. John Q. Public have some understanding on how this could happen.

Best of Wishes to all in the Playoffs :D

Yodude,

With all due respect, I disagree with your assertion that no one can understand unless they are a coach, official, etc. Using that logic how can you tell Gallatin people how to feel if you are not a Gallatin person But thank you for your Gnostic insight. Look, all of us in G'town are down. I appreciate this board serving as a sounding board for so many of us. ALL of us have a view in this. Let the TSSAA stand up for themselves. Like the previous post said, The TSSAA punishes the member schools when they are wrong but who does the TSSAA answer to when THEY are wrong. I'll ask again, if I give my children permission to do something, and then punish them for doing EXACTLY what they said they would do, where is the justice in that. The TSSAA has been doing this long enough that at the very least they should know what questions to ask to avoid trapping a school in the truth.

Ther are other ways to handle the TSSAA. If you can get a judge to place an injunction on thier ruling until heard in a court then the team plays on. Happened in a nearby state in girls BB. The judge had the director place under arrest for contempt. He never actually was in jail because he changed his ruling until the judge heard the case. The girl eventually one and no games where forfeited.