Gallatin has ineligible players?

GWAVE1

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is interesting. According to Benny Bills, Gallatin High School has done all that they are willing to do. But the players say that the suit is in behalf of the school.

Hey just1np, Gtowner, and all of those other loyal Green Wave fans. I personally appreciate the support from our community and for not turning a blind eye to this tragic situation. Thanks to coacht we have an avenue of venting, discussing and even some good ole fashion ribbing. Our community has gone through alot and last night on the field I witnessed what Green Wave Pride is all about. These players deserve better. The fans deserve better. The Coaches deserve better. Our reputation....deserves better. If what I know comes out in this lawsuit then I personally hope that the entire TSSAA falls on their knees and begs for forgiveness. Everybody get your legal dictionary ready. All we need is for one judge to agree to hear the case. And I think that will happen. This in all seriousness could change the way the playoffs are postioned right now. I have to be cautiously optomistic but I really like our chances in this one.

Good luck for now but whatever the final verdict I enjoyed this season tremendiously. We started slow but finished strong. ".....with Liberty and Justice for all."

I agree GWave. I saw a sign at the game last night that said, "Green Wave Pride can't be forefited." This quote really means a lot to me, because of the truth that it holds. No matter the outcome of all of this mumbo jumbo, Green Wave Pride will live on forever!!!

GO BIG G!!!!

Love That Wave 'til I Die!!!!

The fact is that Gallatin, at no fault of their own, turned in the information that they thought and believed was correct. The problem is that the mother did not provide all of the facts to the school. Maybe the school should have investigated the family further.

The TSSAA was correct in their decision to approved the transfer originally. This decision was based on the information provided by Gallatin. The TSSAA will not investigate each transfer. They will simply go by the information provided to them by the school. (Gallatin)

When McGavock turned the kid in, it was the responsibility of the TSSAA to investigate and make a ruling. Unfortunately, in this case, the transfer was not legal.

The transfer rules are written and approved BY THE SCHOOLS, not the TSSAA. If there are changes to be made they have to be approved BY THE SCHOOLS. The schools make up the TSSAA and have a voice in everything thats done.

I know for a fact that the school administrators are reminded each fall of the transfer rules and that the TSSAA goes at great lengths to remind each principal of these at their administrators meeting held in the fall.

I get sick and tired of hearing fans criticize the TSSAA and Mr. Carter when they are simply simply following the guidelines and rules set forth by the schools.I personally know Mr. Carter and he is a man of integrity and honesty. You couldn't pay me enough to do the job that he has to do. I assure you, that he finds no pleasure in telling a school that they have to forfeit games.

By the way, before you Gallatin folks jump on me, I find the whole situation unfortunate and I feel badly for the Gallatin players and coaching staff.

Gallatin its over u played your hearts out all year ineligable player or not. Sorry u didn't get your appeal. Maybe u were screwed. Sure u beat antioch but they beat hunter's lane who beat u. U would have played antioch in the third round of the state tournament and the way they have been playing I don't think there is much u could have done. They have been giving a dose of Brown and Coker with a little passing since the loss to Gallatin. It hasn't been stopped yet and I don't think u could have. Ask Hunter's Lane. Heal your injuries, get in the weightroom, maintain your grades, and stay focused. Your season is over prepare for next year AND DON'T HOLD BACK AGAINST MCGAVOCK EITHER

:)B):rolleyes::(;)

The fact is that Gallatin, at no fault of their own, turned in the information that they thought and believed was correct. The problem is that the mother did not provide all of the facts to the school. Maybe the school should have investigated the family further.

The TSSAA was correct in their decision to approved the transfer originally. This decision was based on the information provided by Gallatin. The TSSAA will not investigate each transfer. They will simply go by the information provided to them by the school. (Gallatin)

When McGavock turned the kid in, it was the responsibility of the TSSAA to investigate and make a ruling. Unfortunately, in this case, the transfer was not legal.

The transfer rules are written and approved BY THE SCHOOLS, not the TSSAA. If there are changes to be made they have to be approved BY THE SCHOOLS. The schools make up the TSSAA and have a voice in everything thats done.

I know for a fact that the school administrators are reminded each fall of the transfer rules and that the TSSAA goes at great lengths to remind each principal of these at their administrators meeting held in the fall.

I get sick and tired of hearing fans criticize the TSSAA and Mr. Carter when they are simply simply following the guidelines and rules set forth by the schools.I personally know Mr. Carter and he is a man of integrity and honesty. You couldn't pay me enough to do the job that he has to do. I assure you, that he finds no pleasure in telling a school that they have to forfeit games.

By the way, before you Gallatin folks jump on me, I find the whole situation unfortunate and I feel badly for the Gallatin players and coaching staff.

I'm sorry but there is another way to change the by-laws when you feel that you have been unjustly accused. Brentwood Aca did it and hopefully Gallatin will too.

Go to court!!!!

After the forfeits Gallatin could still make the play-offs if they won out by defeating Hunters Lane and Beech. Why didn't the coaches, fans and players approach the rest of the season like they were the play-offs and not focus on the forfeit issue. They would have had to play Brentwood and Franklin down the road in the play-offs anyway - why not play them early and get 'em out of the way. In 1996 Melrose had to forfeit three games and had to play all playoff games on the road but still won the state. CPA will likely do the same this year and they had forfeits.

True but Beech had to beat Glencliff for that to take place. And it didn't. Its a lot easier to say than to do. I thought we looked emotionally drained against Hunters Lane. And with their speed that was a deadly combination. That was probably the toughest week as a Gallatin football fan that I can remember. Back in 88' coach Williams was murdered and that was very tough too. Getting a program up week after week with all the high expectations of a Gallatin is an undaunting task. These kids live and breathe Green Wave football from elementary school. Us fans ask a whole lot from these kids and more than not they provide. We have a tradition because we win. Other teams and fans hate us because we win. And we win a lot. But sometimes you just plain ole lose. No shame that is life. We might be down but we ain't dead. Not by a long shot! <_<

BASIS OF GALLATIN'S APPEAL:

The kid moved from McGavock because the coaching staff at McGavock is inadequate in football and basketball. The school itself is unsafe. Therefore, he should be allowed to enroll at another school, out of county, and participate in athletics just because he can use a false address, his grandmother's. A powerpoint presentation bashing another school to try and avoid the fact that the kid changed schools without moving. That was illadvised, unnecessary, and should not have taken place.

WHO TO BLAME:

The Gallatin faithful have misplaced their anger. Instead of being enraged at McGavock and our state association, put blame where it is due. The kid and his parents deceived Gallatin for his own benefit. He was wrong. McGavock only reported information to the TSSAA, who merely upheld the rules. Ronnie Carter is a man of integrity. He would penalize his own mother if she broke a rule. Gallatin is not immune.

TRANSFERS:

Gallatin is not a transient area. They do not deal with as many transfers as schools in cities with multiple schools. Had that kid transferred to Antioch, for example, I doubt he would have been allowed to play. More populous counties with multiple schools deal with these situations more often.

PENALTY:

Perhaps it is time for our schools to change part of our association's rules. Maybe we need to include penalties for violations other than forfeiture of games. Gallatin and CPA have had to forfeit games this season that they won. The ineligible players played no key role in the wins. To make them forfeit is severe. It was almost like a death sentence for the Gallatin football team's season. Alternative punishment should be available. Our courts treat different crimes with different punishments. With new rules, the TSSAA could also.

TRUE

The kid moved from McGavock because the coaching staff at McGavock is inadequate in football and basketball. The school itself is unsafe. Therefore, he should be allowed to enroll at another school, out of county, and participate in athletics just because he can use a false address, his grandmother's. A powerpoint presentation bashing another school to try and avoid the fact that the kid changed schools without moving. That was illadvised, unnecessary, and should not have taken place.

WHO TO BLAME:

The Gallatin faithful have misplaced their anger. Instead of being enraged at McGavock and our state association, put blame where it is due. The kid and his parents deceived Gallatin for his own benefit. He was wrong. McGavock only reported information to the TSSAA, who merely upheld the rules. Ronnie Carter is a man of integrity. He would penalize his own mother if she broke a rule. Gallatin is not immune.

TRANSFERS:

Gallatin is not a transient area. They do not deal with as many transfers as schools in cities with multiple schools. Had that kid transferred to Antioch, for example, I doubt he would have been allowed to play. More populous counties with multiple schools deal with these situations more often.

PENALTY:

Perhaps it is time for our schools to change part of our association's rules. Maybe we need to include penalties for violations other than forfeiture of games. Gallatin and CPA have had to forfeit games this season that they won. The ineligible players played no key role in the wins. To make them forfeit is severe. It was almost like a death sentence for the Gallatin football team's season. Alternative punishment should be available. Our courts treat different crimes with different punishments. With new rules, the TSSAA could also.

TRUE

Alzado is correct in that the punishment did not fit the crime in all three teams cases the games were not decided by the playing time that these kids gained.

I can assure you that Gallatin will never let this happen to them again. I just wonder how many kids don't live with their legal guardians in this state. How easy is it for a kid to live with an Aunt, Uncle or grandparent in todays society. It is time for everyone to check house before someone is brought up on accusations like these and an investigation is launched or your team may be next. Trust me it hurts everyone involved in your program for something like this to happen.

WHO TO BLAME:

TRANSFERS:

PENALTY:

TRUE

This is the way the rules have been for as long as I can remember. The rules can be changed but a member school will have to submit the request for the change and propose a new rule to replace it.

When I was a head coach, I would call the parents of every child to verify the address was correct and I would use the phone number provided by each player. Of course it was a very small community and I could get in my car and drive to everyone's home address within a few minutes of leaving my home. I might add one point, you don't have to worry about kids who have already played for your program or been in your system for a season or more because they are already in your system and it doesn't matter if they switch homes or even move out of your zone as long as you reported the correctly in the first place. The only ones you have to double check are the kids who transfer in or those who come up from your feeder schools. Verify those younger kids and the transfers and you're "good to go!" I know of some coaches who send assistant coaches to verify kids addresses. One coach I know sends a coach to drive kids home from practice to meet the parents just to make sure if there is any doubt. In these days of lawsuits and parents ready to go to court at the drop of a hat, you must cover your own....

ELA, in metro, transfers from one school zone to another must have a bona fide change of residence to be eligible by metro rules. This is in addition to the TSSAA rules. Also, metro students have stricter eligibility standards. They must meet TSSAA rules as well as metro rules for eligibility.