Gallatin has ineligible players?

GWAVE1

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ruling is very different from the BA lawsuit and it will not change the outcome of the games unless a court orders an injunction preventing ALL playoff games this Friday. I don't think the courts work that quickly and it simply will not happen. After the games are held on Friday, it doesn't matter what the courts say except to restore the games lost as a result of the ruling.

82cat,

This is a difficult issue. It is not fair to punish a school in this situation but it is also not fair to cost a kid a whole year of eligibility. Somewhere in the middle is the answer. I know Gallatin did everything above board. I think a little common sense has to be applied when dealing with these gray areas and everyone who knows me will tell you I see EVERYTHING in black and white. You are right about some using this to deceive to get players they want. This whole situation was a no win for Gallatin. At the same time it is unfair to hold a legitimate transfer out to avoid the wrath of the TSSAA. I know they are doing their job but use some good ole common sense.

By the way, word from those who know is Gallatin's case IS being heard and a decision to grant them an injunction (or whatever they call it) WILL be made today.

GreenWave fans keep your fingers crossed.

82cat,

This is a difficult issue. It is not fair to punish a school in this situation but it is also not fair to cost a kid a whole year of eligibility. Somewhere in the middle is the answer. I know Gallatin did everything above board. I think a little common sense has to be applied when dealing with these gray areas and everyone who knows me will tell you I see EVERYTHING in black and white. You are right about some using this to deceive to get players they want. This whole situation was a no win for Gallatin. At the same time it is unfair to hold a legitimate transfer out to avoid the wrath of the TSSAA. I know they are doing their job but use some good ole common sense.

By the way, word from those who know is Gallatin's case IS being heard and a decision to grant them an injunction (or whatever they call it) WILL be made today.

GreenWave fans keep your fingers crossed.

I said this on another thread and I think it is good to repeat it on this thread. Even youth league football teams are bound by residency rules. If a youth football team has a child on the team that is not on the list or someone who does not live at the address that is listed, that team forfeits those games. This is a rule that is enforced at schools and programs around the nation.

ELA,

So how does a school avoid getting sucker-punched by the TSSAA. Do you make a legitimate transfer sit out to avoid this. How is that fair to the kid? Gallatin did EVERYTHING possible to avoid this on the front end. Are the schools supposed to break into the kids house and take pictures or what.

ELA,

So how does a school avoid getting sucker-punched by the TSSAA. Do you make a legitimate transfer sit out to avoid this. How is that fair to the kid? Gallatin did EVERYTHING possible to avoid this on the front end. Are the schools supposed to break into the kids house and take pictures or what.

Again, it is not the responsibility of the TSSAA to insure that a kid lives where he says he lives, it is the responsibility of the parents to tell the truth when they sign their kid up to play ball. This could happen to any school! CPA turned themselves in when they discovered they had a problem. If the rules need to be changed, then Gallatin should request a rule change, but under the circumstances, the TSSAA had no choice but to follow the rules that are on the books. I don't think it was a sucker punch for the TSSAA to follow the rules from their handbook. Maybe in the future, a new rule can be written, but since this came out so late in the season, what else could be done? It's a bad situation for both the TSSAA and Gallatin.

ELA,

Again, it is not the responsibility of the TSSAA to insure that a kid lives where he says he lives, it is the responsibility of the parents to tell the truth when they sign their kid up to play ball. This could happen to any school! CPA turned themselves in when they discovered they had a problem. If the rules need to be changed, then Gallatin should request a rule change, but under the circumstances, the TSSAA had no choice but to follow the rules that are on the books. I don't think it was a sucker punch for the TSSAA to follow the rules from their handbook. Maybe in the future, a new rule can be written, but since this came out so late in the season, what else could be done? It's a bad situation for both the TSSAA and Gallatin.

Ela,

I disagree with the notion that the TSSAA had no choice but rule this way. The bylaws say an exception can be made. If the TSSAA had not appoved Gallatin's request twice they could have filed for a hardship. There is no possible way a school can pry into a kid's private family life and I maintain the TSSAA takes the cowards way out. Why is there no consideration for the INTENT of the law. I read the bylaws today and the TSSAA has a whole layer in there to cover their rears. It is impossible iin todays society to comply completely. What they did to Gallatin is plain old wrong. There is absolutely nothing Gallatin could have done and by doing it "by the book" they received the high school death penalty. You guys can continue this TSSAA and Ronnie Carter lovefest but they have the most fault in this. How can a school take a chance on playing any kid after this. To my knowledge nothing has changed and Gallatin was 100 percent truthful on everyting. You tell me how Gallatin could have prevented this.

it is the responsibility of the parents to tell the truth when they sign their kid up to play ball.

Maybe in the future, a new rule can be written, but since this came out so late in the season, what else could be done?

Good point....It is the responsibility of teh parent(s) to tell the truth about where they live when they enroll their kid at ANY school. If the kid is not living where they say he/she is living, THE KID knows better.

Solution: If parents and kids deceive a school in such a manner, have THAT KID lose all future eligibility at ANY SCHOOL, but don't punish the folks who were deceived...in this case, Gallatin and their football team. That doesn't make any sense.

If the parents could be fined, that would be great, but you can't get at the parents, except by not allowing their kid to ever play ball again anywhere.