How is Maryville Ranked No. 1 in 4A?

Philster043

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brothers15, Maryville not playing real teams? I guess Hillsboro wasn't a real team? You know, The same Hillsboro that went to Melrose last season and beat them. I guess Hillsboro and their 6 D1 prospects wasn't that great of a team? I guess Memphis East wasn't no good either?

I guess Cleveland and Morristown West are bad teams also? I guess Red Bank with Gerald Riggs was a bad team. Funny thing is Red Bank lost to Maryville(4A Champ) and McCallie(Super7 Champ) in 2001 and the Red Bank fans told a lot of us Rebel fans that Maryville was by far the best team they played that year.

Simple! Maryville is the best team. Saw them play a more athletic team Friday night. And even though I didn't feel they played well they were able to pull off a victory in overtime. They are able to overcome their lack of athletes through preparation and conditioning. So if anyone plans on beating the Rebels they better have more than just superior athletes. Central found that out Friday night. By the way Central played a near flawless game 0 turnovers and only a couple of penalties. Maryville on the other hand had two crucial turnovers that set up Central T.D.'s. :unsure:B)

This is my 2 cents

Melrose has far better athletes (speed, athleticall), but Maryville has that winning edge and very smart kids playing the game. Melrose depends on big plays to win ball games while Maryville can do about anything they want.The coaching staff at Maryville could take the same kids at Melrose and do twice as much. If Melrose ever gets that sound coaching staff that Maryville has then watch out.

Who beat Melrose and why. If they are that good why have they lost. Apparently someone in West Tn is better than they are. I would worry about them first, before talk about the championship.

This is my 2 cents

Melrose has far better athletes (speed, athleticall), but Maryville has that winning edge and very smart kids playing the game. Melrose depends on big plays to win ball games while Maryville can do about anything they want.The coaching staff at Maryville could take the same kids at Melrose and do twice as much. If Melrose ever gets that sound coaching staff that Maryville has then watch out.

Who beat Melrose and why. If they are that good why have they lost. Apparently someone in West Tn is better than they are. I would worry about them first, before talk about the championship.

That could be said about a lot of Memphis teams because most don't have any good coaching but have great athletes. Christain Brothers beat Melrose 10-8.

This year Melrose was only beaten by Christian Brothers, during week one, 10-8, a team that has only lost one game themselves, to MBA. Enough said there. McCallie ripped Knox Cent but only lost to Christian Bro’s by one point. Melrose is very good but the record of their scheduled opponents this year is 36-34, not to impressive. Melrose scores an average of 33 points and gives up an average of 4.2 points a contest. This is impressive. These are Maryville type stats 32 per vs. giving up an average of 7.7 per game. Maryville’s opponents combined have a less than 500 record at 40-42. I think if Maryville and Melrose were to meet in the Blue Cross Bowl, it would be a tough one for the Rebels to win, or any one else from East Tennessee this year.

But…..Clinton Next!

Guest 1234hitThatsonofa

About those polls...the newspapers are going by the AP polls released every Monday. Maryville has been ranked 1 in the poll since week one. So, until someone knocks them off, they will be #1 in the AP and should be in every other poll. They aren't as strong this year but somehow ALWAYS finds a way to win.

Melrose has been synonymous with poor coaching in the past, but Kenny Ingram is now at the helm. This guy is not only a great coach, but he contrasts some former Melrose coaches in that he has TONS of class. He has has done a great job as the Wildcats coach and no, I don't think Maryville's coach could get more out the Melrose kids. They are much more than fast, they play stiff defense and fundamentally sound football. It will be a great game if the two meet, I just might drive up to Murfeesboro to see it.

I agree with everyone who said to not worry about the polls for now. We all will know after 5 weeks of playoffs who should/will be where. I personally still believe that Maryville should be #1 until proven otherwise. However, as I find out everyday my opion doesn't matter. We'll see soon enough so don't worry about it until you get there.

ACCARP