McMinn County V.S. Dobyns Bennet

MCHSGoTribe

The roster of McMinn Co. has finally been posted. The LB you're talking about is Fr. Nigel Holland #49, and he is very good for a Frosh. He is strong and quick. He is one of our California transfers. The big LB you're referring 2 is Maurice Vestal #11 and also Aaron Ferguson #44. They both used to be backs when Coach Mullinx was here, but I'm not sure of their fourty times. They are pretty fast, although Vestal has put on A LOT of weight over the past 2 years. Both guys are the kind that will do a lot of talkin, and usually back it up. They will try to get in your players heads. Maurice Vestal is the adopted brother of QB Derrick Vestal. Yes Maurice is black and Derrick is white, just so it doesn't confuse you. It is really a great story. Our leader on defense is Snoop Smith, who is our main D-1 prospect. He is the best tackling safety I have seen in a long while. He is a man. Our lines are both vastly improved. Watch out for Dustin Millsaps on both sides of the ball, especially at reciever. He has great hands and makes big plays. Our kicker is inconsistent but can be good at times. Anything else just ask.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The roster of McMinn Co. has finally been posted. The LB you're talking about is Fr. Nigel Holland #49, and he is very good for a Frosh. He is strong and quick. He is one of our California transfers. The big LB you're referring 2 is Maurice Vestal #11 and also Aaron Ferguson #44. They both used to be backs when Coach Mullinx was here, but I'm not sure of their fourty times. They are pretty fast, although Vestal has put on A LOT of weight over the past 2 years. Both guys are the kind that will do a lot of talkin, and usually back it up. They will try to get in your players heads. Maurice Vestal is the adopted brother of QB Derrick Vestal. Yes Maurice is black and Derrick is white, just so it doesn't confuse you. It is really a great story. Our leader on defense is Snoop Smith, who is our main D-1 prospect. He is the best tackling safety I have seen in a long while. He is a man. Our lines are both vastly improved. Watch out for Dustin Millsaps on both sides of the ball, especially at reciever. He has great hands and makes big plays. Our kicker is inconsistent but can be good at times. Anything else just ask.

lol...nigel from california???? thats pretty funny considering i played football in little league with him in sweetwater..you must have him confused with someone else.last yr. he went to sweetwater jr. high :D

The DB Transfer's are also doing well..... real well..

Stephan Motten is a Soph Transfer who is (as a Soph. mind you) leading the entire Team in Tackles. He has got quiet the quicks with the ball as well, although he has been used sparingly. I would not be surprised to see #21 cary the ball in a few key situations.

Dee Peeler... A very strong Linebacker who is, what #2 or #3 in tackles. Dee has played a few times in the offensive backfield. And when he learns how to run a little less upright, he will be tough to stop.

Hey Skunk, help me here. #15, our Kicker, Ben Coty... What year is he? I am thinking Soph. but I am not sure. Ben has really been coming on the 2nd half of the season. His game against Cambell Co was as good as it gets for a kicker. -5 PAT and 2-2 Field Goals. And ask Soddy Daisy about his leg.... All but 2 KO were into the EndZone for a Touchback.

I feel good about the DB Team, young, strong, fast, very fast.. and so many weapons on offense. The Defense for the Indians has really been like the No-Name Defense. You never here much about 'em, but they keep shutting opponents down, game after game. Check the Stats.

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

Good post, Art.

Ben Cotey is a Senior who waited his turn and has had an outstanding year. He hasn't just been standing around though - he excels in the classroom, too - with a GPA that makes him either #1 or #2 in his class.

GO, TRIBE - in the classroom AND on the field!!!

A few standouts on the defensive side of the ball for DB are, #7 Tyler Nottingham, he is not big however he is still strong and very fast. #90Cameron Wills and #48Dee Peeler are the defensive ends which are both very good at spilling the play and forcing sacks. We also have #95Ben Taylor and #12Matt McMillian at Linebackers which are both very talented. Our DT's are #76 "BIG Ceddy"Cedric Hodge and then either #25Jeremiah Loftin or #69 Carter Lovelace. This has to be one of the best fron 7 in 5A but when you get to the defensive backfield it gets even better. # 4 Dustin Gaines is a great conrnerback with size and speed and a great nose for the football. Dustin has had 2 int. in each of the past 2 games, and trust me this makes Dustin fell pretty confident about himself and hen he is confident he wont be stopped. Playing alongside Dustin at Corner is #2 Jamaar Hardy who is also a great back although he is only abouy 5'10 he makes up for it with his strength, speed, jumping ability. At free safety is #21 Stephen Moten who is very hard hitter and you will see him in on almost every play, whether he is running to the ball to lay a hit, or breaking up a pass. Last but DEFINATELY not least is #20 Walker Throp. Not Thrope, Throp. He is coming off of a season ending knee injury from last years MBA game and is determined to go far in the playoffs. Not only is Walker a very good athlete, but he is also one of the teams leaders on both sides of the ball. Walker is very good at reading the play, and although he is small he can jump and has very good speed. I could see MCHS testing the secondary of DB and i think if they do that they will get shut down. The DB defense will force 3 or 4 turnovers and win the battle of field position. MCHS will fall behind early then struggle all game.

DB-38

MCHS-13

They are very good!! Nottingham is awesome at picking up the snap count and......BOOM, on the QB quicker'n Newman on a twinkee. I am really proud of the play of #4 Dustin Gaines starting with the Jeff Co game. He has been on fire and fired up from that point on. DG has 4 int in the past 2 games (2 ea ) I think that makes 6 or 7 on the season, nice numbers.

I just get the Jimmy Leg everytime we drop back in punt coverage...... How many fumbles has the choppers had this year on fielding punts? It freaks me out, man!!

Hoop baby says "hey from the e-z snooze."

CHOP CHOP

Cosmo

The freshman Nigel Holland went to Sweetwater for the last few years, except for playing for Athens 1 year because of his age he wasn't able to play Juniors football at Sweetwater. He lifted weights and was even at spring practice for Sweetwater High School but freshman just watch. He has a brother that as far as I know still goes to Sweetwater! More than a little fishy, but thats life! :angry:

Since I am the authority on McMinn football let me clear up the issue about the transfer fron California. The player fron CA is #1 McBride he plays eyerywhere, corner back, wingback, running back, def. back, returns KO. Our DT is Calvin Smith 6'3' 250 also plays some on offense, @ DE is #11 Maurice Vestal 5'10" 230, our O line avg. approx. 250 lbs. (not big but they have some speed). Like I have said before we are not big and don't have alot of speed but what we do have is alot of weapons. The cherokees are playing well right know and have the "MO" on their side, we excute our game plans well and stick to what got us to the dance.

Our team looks forward to the challange of playing in such a great environment and againist such a good football team.

MCHS,

Nobody from D-B is disrespecting anyone...some of the posts regarding eating Big Eds next week are from good natured Oak Ridge fans, who we have had a good friendly rivalry with all season...in fact, there has been (for the most part) a very enjoyable level of correspondence from O.R, Jeff Co., and D-B fans all year...because we respect each other...good teams, good programs, good fans, good rivalries, good sakes it's been a good season for all of us still talking football, the final 16. Yes, it can get better, that's what we are all hoping for, but if it is over Friday, it's been a great season for the Indians and for the Wildcats, Patriots, & Cherokees. There is no disrespect, we've seen video, we know the quality of your team and just like the opportunity to play Soddy-Daisy (a team we had never played before) we look forward to the opportunity to play the Cherokees; respectfully.

Art,

As was said, Ben Cotey is a senior, played as a freshman and sophmore, didn't play last year (he also had some soccer aspirations) and now is back doing a great job. He also played some cornerback as a frosh and soph. He is a real fine young man.

Roll Tribe Roll

Hey, How come it is I got left out of the Big Ed's Pizza discussion, this time? It's my wife, isn't it, she told you I needed to lose weight, huh? Well don't listen to her (I don't) (just kidding, dear)...anyway, don't forget me now...if it all happens, I want Big Ed's, too...but, I won't mention it again (don't want to look like I'm begging or something, but I will if I have to)...I agree with bud, we have one focus and one focus only, the McMinn County Cherokees...a very good team, very good.

Roll Tribe Roll