• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to name a couple from the Oak Ridge Lady Wildcats:

Jennifer Azzi, Stanford and has to turned into an WNBA all-star

Nikki Caldwell, Tennessee, current Tennessee assistant coach

Jennifer Wilson, Chattanooga, currently a GA @ Chattanooga

There are many others, some before these three and some afterwards. There are too many to mention, just like many other schools. Girls basketball is alive and well in Tennessee.

This whole state , east middle and west has produced some great players. We all have our favorites. In the early 90's Gibson Co. had Tiffiny Adkins. Most of her records still stand. Hey east and middle you had your great players too. Just wanted to say that our kids read these pages also, we don't need to to get ill or say bad things about other players. We should all feel proud of our past ,our kids playing now and players yet to come. I'm just proud our girls are playing ball in TN. Happy New YearCoachT., may 2004 be just as fun as last year.

well Gc has put em off two tha past few years, i mean they havent sent anyone big time except for that one girl....O YEA..Tiffany Adkins, she went to southern miss for a couple of years showed out and then came back closer to home where she jsut went crazy at memphis. and 4 of the 5 starters from last years team are now playin ball in college some where

Jill Johnson-Jackson State

Jessica Johnson-Jackson State

Amanda Cunningham-Bethel

Ashley Gammons-Dyersburg State

there was also some girls who went on to play in the early 90s

Christy Hicks-UTM

Peggy Hall-UTM(not for sure where she actually went)

Becky Hanks-Bethel

Holly Milligan-Freed

Ashley Simpson-Jackson State

i also believe that since GC now has Coach David Russell as their coach there will me more girls to go to the next level

In East Tenn the best I've seen was Jennifer Azzi at Oak Ridge. Probably the BEST player Tenn has ever produced. She won 2 national championships at Stanford; multiple Olympic teams and STILL plays. Was voted as one of the top 10 college players of all time, and when sports illustrated picked each state's top 50 athletes she didn't make the team and Woosley did, go figure?

I also loved Nicki Caldwell at OR, one of Pat's asst.'s and a quality (and highly intelligent) person. She alos has one of those National Championship rings!

Holly Warwick at Bearden would be my runner up to Azzi as the best female basketball player Tenn has ever produced. She changed the game. For many of us watching Holly play in high school let us know what women's basketball could become. The only player from the 70's that would be a miss basketball TODAY>

Shelly Sexton was a Miss Basketball at Anderson County and also was a national champion at UT and Regional Tourney MVP. When she was a junior she played at Lake City High (now Anderson County) with a lady named Karen Morten who was also a Miss Basketball and the first female I ever saw dunk. She went to UT but multiple injuries kept her from reaching her potential. Was a better High School player than Azzi (by a little) and was 6'5".

Linda Ray was probably the best from Norris, but Norris didn't have much of a basketball program (basketball was dwarfed by the state's best volleyball program)

Rutledge had a great team about 10 years ago with 3 great players, the only name I remember is Micah Smith. Coach Mcbee help!

Carolyn Peck from upper East Tenn was great, so was Hawhee (South Green?) and Kelli Casteel from Maryville.

Dawn Marsh was Alcoa's best, all of the above went onto UT except Peck who went to Vandy.

Meigs County had Misty Greene (UT) and a great guard that went to Georgis.

Frost from Giles County was a dominating player (also UT)

Jennifer Tuggle went to UT and played at M-cMinn? and Sherry Bostic was a Campbell County girl that started at UT and ended at Carson Newman,

Oliver Springs had a great player named Bass in the early 80's but I think Hall who is a senior now may be better.

I loved this question, and would challenge some of our older posters (like my friends PAGEMAN and MAV) to think back farther then the last few years.

GREAT TOPIC!

I disagree with the Kara Sanders pick. Oneida had a young lady about 5 years ago (her name escapes me but she played at UT) that was better.

Also, Pickett County one 4 in a row in the late 70's and early 80's, who were their best?

Papatj, I would substitute Mcginnis (sp) over Wilson. Didn't she go to Bama or Auburn?

Arnwine,

You take me back to so many great names and the years roll by. You are putting some age on me and maybe yourself LOL.

I thought I had come up with the name from Oneida and then I realized that the girl I was thinking of was Kerry Boyatt and she went to Clemson. I can see her in my minds eye but cannot come up with a name.

Here is one for you, Pearl Moore from Harriman, went to UT and never developed. Had some injury probs if I remember correctly.

Erin McGinnis is who you are thinking about and she started at Auburn, and wouldn't or couldn't play enough defense for Coach Champi (sp) and took her talents elsewhere. After many stops at several small schools, she finished her career at Indiana. She turned into a very good player for them and at one time was on their coaching staff. Don't know if she is still there. She is the middle McGinnis sister