An open letter to Ronnie Carter

Bluebelly

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, but if trends developed in a certain refs style (slow pins, out of position, quick stalling, etc.), the problem could be identified.

good point, as always. but some nights, a c-note for what is being done is well worth it. hey, when i don't have a dog in the fight next year, i might be moonlighting. the rate per hour can be directly related....... catch my drift, i.e. some people might call it a roll through but.............and r.c. would never be the wiser. :P

Why shouldn't the coaches have a voice in who calls the Region and State events? The coaches are really the only ones that can truly evaluate the officials because we see them in action. Besides, if we pick them then we have no reason to complain about them.

The better and more experienced Officials should call all State events, even if that means they get to call both the State Duals and the State individuals. Good Officials should be rewarded for a job well done during the regualr season.

Why didn't Elsie and Craft call the state duals? They are 2 of the better officials in our state. They should have been there.

What I like about both of them is they both are approachable. You can ask them to explain a call and they will without getting offended and/or take it personal. You can tell by the way the handle themselves that they are there for the kids and the sport! I know that there are other officials out there that do the same thing, but I saw there names mentioned above and I did not know they did not call the State Duals.

I wasn't at the state duals so I can't make a judgement on the officials.

Why didn't Elsie and Craft call the state duals? They are 2 of the better officials in our state. They should have been there.

What I like about both of them is they both are approachable. You can ask them to explain a call and they will without getting offended and/or take it personal. You can tell by the way the handle themselves that they are there for the kids and the sport! I know that there are other officials out there that do the same thing, but I saw there names mentioned above and I did not know they did not call the State Duals.

I wasn't at the state duals so I can't make a judgement on the officials.

YES, THAT'S IT!!

The best officials are quite content with their calls and they have absolutely no reason to get offended by someone asking them for clarification. It just so happens that the two mentioned here have that character trait (it's more like confidence, not like pride, but an honest heart with complete unbiased focus on every call) as well as another called patience.

When you combine these traits with skill and experience, you have the best.

One thing that I have noticed about the "cream of the crop" refs over the years is another ingredient of "caring for their fellow man" and these men have that. I have also seen these qualities in Hudgins as well. There are definitely others, but I'll stop with these fine gentlemen.

And yes, the ck's in the mail guys. Seriously, $ is certainly not a factor in the best's motivation either.

soms

If someone only reads this board, its pretty obvious that it depends on who's ox is getting gored. You can pick out the CBHS supporters, the McCallie detractors, fans from Chattanooga who only know their own officials. Folks, we always like our own better or better the devils we know?

I saw one fan screaming at the top of her lungs how strong the air intake was of a particular official calling on the mat. She was very clear, three times she was clear. But listen, I know DGilbert, he is a friend of mine. On one thread on this board, he was lauded as the best in Clarksville and maybe all of Chattanooga. Evidently this lady and the other post I read dont seem to agree. Amazing huh?

That said, the same guys cannot always call every state meet. And for the individuals at least, the coaches do have some say as to who gets to the state tournament to call. They have a strong voice the selection of the officials for their respective regions and that leads to the pool TSSAA selects from for the state tourney.

You have to continually feed the pool of officials, so as the older ones call it quits, there is some new blood coming in. It takes the new ones a few years to allow old prejudices to wear off. Our coaches arent easy on newbies either, sort of a baptism by fire. Those that make it through are usually well battle tested long before they call any state contests.

Its good to have some representation from across the state in officiating, maybe. If an official is not used to the heat and intensity of a McCallie/Baylor match or MBA/Ryan match, its unfair to both official and wrestler. If a region has no representative team in the state duals, should that officials association be represented? Could this be proportional?

Had the MBA/CBHS 171 bout gone the other way, who would be screaming? And would the MBA coach be missing the state tourney? The end of the bout, you had either 1 pt escape and a possible 1 pt fleeing the mat. Would that had been better than a two point reversal? Under normal circumstances, the mat official is getting an opinion from the assistant, but ultimately he makes the call.

I haved watched this board for some time, and decided to speak up. I think you may rather I hit the snooze button again.

Everyone needs some stroke every now and then.

Stroker

If someone only reads this board, its pretty obvious that it depends on who's ox is getting gored. You can pick out the CBHS supporters, the McCallie detractors, fans from Chattanooga who only know their own officials. Folks, we always like our own better or better the devils we know?

I saw one fan screaming at the top of her lungs how strong the air intake was of a particular official calling on the mat. She was very clear, three times she was clear. But listen, I know DGilbert, he is a friend of mine. On one thread on this board, he was lauded as the best in Clarksville and maybe all of Chattanooga. Evidently this lady and the other post I read dont seem to agree. Amazing huh?

That said, the same guys cannot always call every state meet. And for the individuals at least, the coaches do have some say as to who gets to the state tournament to call. They have a strong voice the selection of the officials for their respective regions and that leads to the pool TSSAA selects from for the state tourney.

You have to continually feed the pool of officials, so as the older ones call it quits, there is some new blood coming in. It takes the new ones a few years to allow old prejudices to wear off. Our coaches arent easy on newbies either, sort of a baptism by fire. Those that make it through are usually well battle tested long before they call any state contests.

Its good to have some representation from across the state in officiating, maybe. If an official is not used to the heat and intensity of a McCallie/Baylor match or MBA/Ryan match, its unfair to both official and wrestler. If a region has no representative team in the state duals, should that officials association be represented? Could this be proportional?

Had the MBA/CBHS 171 bout gone the other way, who would be screaming? And would the MBA coach be missing the state tourney? The end of the bout, you had either 1 pt escape and a possible 1 pt fleeing the mat. Would that had been better than a two point reversal? Under normal circumstances, the mat official is getting an opinion from the assistant, but ultimately he makes the call.

I haved watched this board for some time, and decided to speak up. I think you may rather I hit the snooze button again.

Everyone needs some stroke every now and then.

Stroker

Good luck to Chris Lewis and his recovery from the other night. I know he will be back and I hope it can be worked out by State. He's a good man and has much more good to accomplish with his great team from the west. My prayers are with you, fellow coaches, wrestlers, fans, and this great sport!! Hey, I'll throw one out there for our officials too. :lol:

Life's good!!

soms

Why shouldn't the coaches have a voice in who calls the Region and State events? The coaches are really the only ones that can truly evaluate the officials because we see them in action. Besides, if we pick them then we have no reason to complain about them.

I agree with you to a certain degree. However, you may only see a particular official one time. And it might very well be the one time that the official has had a bad night. When you have your region meeting to pick officials you have a bad taste in your mouth about that one official. You have devepoled a bias toward that official.

Also, each official in the state has there own style of officiating. You may not like how I call stalling for example. But several other coaches might or vice versa.

Several years ago in our region (back when the coaches picked the officials for the region) we had a first yera official that called the region and some who had been around for several years had to sit out because an official had made the principal of the school mad during a tournament for asking him to keep the gym floor clear of fans who were standing around the scorers table.(As a result of this a kid wrestled out of his weight class due to the score keeper not being able to hear him say his name). The official asked the principal several times to clear the floor so this would not happen again. He refused to comply. He then told his head coach that this official was not allowed to come back to his facility.

The official was doing his job but was unjustly black listed because of it. The coaches were not aware that the principal had no control over whether or not that official could officiate in his facility. It was not up to him but up to the coaches voting on the officals for the tournament. Was this fair to the official? Was there a bias toward that official who was merely trying to do his job?

I am sure there have been more instances like this across the state. And this is not the only one that I am aware of but it is certainly something to ponder.

the problem in our region with officals is they have very little respect for coaches they try to coach your kids after the match the let there bias known to one coach that they do not like another coach. they have no consistancy among each other they will not call a stalmate they are totally different on stalling 1 or 2 allow edging others do not .

to answer a earlier post if a 1st yr. ref. does better than a 10 year ref. let him call.

i still think coaches need imput. coaches have watched 1000s of matches if they have been around awhile an the ones i have talked to appreciate a good ref. they love consistancy they llong for fairness for all kids they appreciate a ref who gets on the mat to count back points instead of standing. they like a guy who is hardly noticed during the match instead of one who wants to be the center attraction. in short they love good officiating. and coaches and the wrestlers know the good ones the the bad ones the tssaa and the evauating crues evidently do not else all these discussions word not occur.

Thanks Soms.

If I could go back in time would I have handled the situation differently? Yes, without question. We have all made mistakes, all done irrational things when we were upset, I just happened to pick one big stage to make mine. It has been a difficult week. I made my bed, for sure, and whatever TSSAA decides on my appeal, I will accept without a whimper. To everyone that has offered a helping hand, Thank you....for anyone that I might have offended last weekend, I apologize, to all, good luck at STATE.

Chris Lewis

CBHS