Intentional Hitting a Player

coachflo

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, this isn't MLB or even college! If intentional, the first pitch behind the batter was sufficient and should have warranted a warning from the umpire if blue thought it was intentional. Now, throwing inside and throwing at a batter is different. If you've got enough control to hit the batter, you can certainly bust him inside and send the same message........and he's not on first. How many are you going to plunk before you get your message across? How many potential runs are you willing to put on base? I do agree about throwing at the batter in a squeeze situation. He's in a position to get out of the way and expects it. Who's sending a message to who if the batter turns his shoulder, takes the hit and flips his bat towards the dugout before he trots to first?

Edited by ksgovols

I have to say that the brushback and even a pitch intentally thrown at a player is part of baseball. Several things to consider though. The person you through at better absolutely, no questions asked, deserve it. A little trash talking or someone trying to steal signs, let the catcher say something and brush him back. If the kid shows your team up or intentionally comes after one of your teammates, then it is the pitcher's responsibility to protect his own. However, the beanball has to be low, at the leg or hip...NEVER at the head. Also, if you are going to do it, make sure you actually hit the kid. Played in a game once where our pitcher threw at a guy who needed a warning, missed him, and then the next pitch ended up about 400+ ft away for a HR.

Well for one, you know that someone from Sparta started this post and two, the kid who got drilled probably deserved it if it was intentional. Alcorn would not throw at someone on purpose unless he had a good reason to because it is hard to make that kid angry. So if Alcorn did hit him on purpose, then it was a job well done. It's part of the game so get over it. If I was the pitcher from Sparta, then the first batter up the next inning would have been drilled, it's how the game is played. Good job Alcorn.

Since I know alot of the Cookeville players, I was told it was intentional. The player that was hit had played with them on travel teams so they knew him. Enough said. I am not arguing, just stating a fact ,that you should not throw a high pitch when trying to hit someone. I agree with alot of the posts about when is the right time to brushback or send a message. That IS part of the game. Oh by the way , it should be a good 7AAA tournament since regular season games by all teams have been good and alot of games could have gone either way.

I still don't see where throwing at a batter is a part of high school baseball. I know it's done. Besides turning a shoulder or butt to the pitch and trotting to first, the best response by a hitter I've seen on a brushback was to catch the ball with his bare hand and toss it back to the pitcher........on his way to first. If I'm blue behind the plate and you throw at someone intentionally, you're gone.

To make things right, how about letting Mr. Acorn bat for himself the next game. It's easy to be brave when you don't have to walk to the plate. If anything, Mr. Acorn was upset because of the 6 earned runs Sparta had just tagged him for. Talk about messing up your E.R.A., letting a sophmore hit 2 homers out on you! it even took him two throws to hit the batter, I thought he was going to walk him trying to hit him! How about it " Batter Up" Mr Acorn.

What about base runners at 2b or in the dugout constantly tipping off location or type of pitch? what do you guys think of this - our team used to toss a casual pick back to 2b and tell the runner to quit tipping off pitches or we were going to get him or a teammate soon!! a little rib shot or perhaps some happy feet. Personally i think the best way to handle showing up pitchers is to throw under the feet, that will put them in their place - on their butt!!

My opinion is that if the pitcher is shown up then he has the right to go up and in and if "accidently" hits the batter then thats alright. I understand that there is a risk to seriously injuring the batter, but if the kid thinks he is so good to show up a pitcher then I am assuming that he is good enough to get out of the way of a "wild" pitch.

Consider this. A pitcher 'head-hunting' could be charged with assault if the batter is hit intentionally and injured. Coaches can be charged too if they instruct a pitcher to throw at another player. It's not fun and games if you're throwing 85-90 mph fastballs at someone's head.

Edited by ksgovols